PP 5w20 4,910 miles 1zzfe

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from the third oil change in the corolla. It is a 2007 and is toyota allows the use of 5w20. I got the PP almost as cheap as the GTX and am doing the UOA because I couldn't find any for PP 5w20 and this engine. I also do a lot of short trips. My work commute for this interval was very little highway miles and short trips. I also used a 2 oz maint. dose of Auto-RX for grins. Oil filter was the white oversized purolator. First UOA is toyota dealer bulk 5w30. Looks like it is trending down with wear-in. Filled up with mover 5w20 PP and maint. dose of A-RX. Might leave out the A-RX next time and see what the UOA says. Wish Toyota warranty allowed 10k miles. Looks like this combo wouldn't have any trouble at 10K intervals.

Blackstone comments:
Your Toyota’s engine is getting closer to reaching maturity, which usually occurs around 10,000
miles. Yours may take a little longer but it will get there. Copper is usually the last wear metal to read
average because of the way bronze parts are machined at the factory. The rest of the wear metals are
already low. Silicon and sodium both improved and should read normally in your next oil sample. The TBN
was 4.3, lots of active additive left. No gas, moisture or coolant was present in the sample. Look for more
improvements in your next sample.

MI/HR on Oil------4910-----3920
MI/HR on Unit-----9867-----4957
Sample Date-------11/3/07--7/5/07
Make up Oil-------0--------0
ALUMINUM----------3--------3
CHROMIUM----------0--------0
IRON--------------8--------9
COPPER------------11-------31
LEAD--------------2--------1
TIN---------------1--------4
MOLY--------------53-------115
NICKEL------------0--------0
MANGANESE---------1--------1
SILVER------------0--------0
TITANIUM----------0--------0
POTASSIUM---------1--------4
BORON-------------24-------40
SILICON-----------18-------53
SODIUM------------32-------248
CALCIUM-----------2556-----1436
MAGNESIUM---------16-------8
PHOSPHORUS--------664------585
ZINC--------------777------736
BARIUM------------0--------2

SUS VISC. @ 210F--52.5-----52.7
cST VISC. @ 100C--8.03-----8.10
FLASHPOINT F------385------385
FUEL %------------ ANTIFREEZE %------?-------0.0
WATER-------------0.0-----0.0
INSOLUBLES--------0.1-----0.2
TBN---------------4.3-----2.9

Boring (a good thing -where's the "yawn" gremlin?)
grin2.gif

Looks good. I will be doing a uoa on my 08 corolla in about a month with 3 quarts pen dino 5/30 and 1.5 quarts PP 5/30. Wouldn't mind pushing out my oci's as well

Looking forward to seeing your UOA.

I think I am going to stick with straight PP5w20 with occasional maint. doses of A-RX. As you can see I ran the 5w20 through the hottest part of the year here. Surprisingly the viscosity numbers are extremely close to the dino 5w30 bulk dealer oil.

My last toyota engine was an abused and sludged (bought it this way) up 5SFE in a 97 camry. It is so nice not worrying about oil. My old 5SFE would use 1 qt in about 1000 miles and I was always checking the oil. This is my first brand new car so I am trying to do the maintenance right from the get-go. I don't mind spending the extra 50 cents a quart for PP.

Yeah if I could get pp for 50 cents more over dino I would probably stock up on it.

They just opened an Advance auto here couple of months ago and as of yet have not had any buy on get one free. I was so excited when I saw they were building one right across from autozone I was rubbing my hands together and mentaly trying to figure out where in my basement I was going to put all the bogof oil I was going to get but it is yet to happen.

I am doing the 5K intervals as of now but am not too worried about the warranty stuff and have 18 quarts of amsoil 0W20 12 of val synpower 5W30 that I got at bogof at advance auto in PA when I was there and 6 quarts Mobil CLean 7500 SL. So when I do run the amsoil it will be a minimum run of 10-15K and 7500-10K on the synpower.

Im running the Pure one 14477 (i believe is number) that I got from amazon.com 2 for $5.88 so I have about 12 filters so I am good to go for a while

Last edited:
I've got the same engine 2006 in a vibe. I haven't had a drop in oil consumption since I bought the vehicle new. I've used off the shelf synthetic since the second oil change.

02zx94,

This UOA was with the purolator 14477 also, but it was white. I think the pure ones begin with PL and are blue. I am thinking that even if I change the oil at 5k intervals for the warranty, that I will leave the filters on for 10k miles. The corolla uses the same filters as my old 5sfe camry, so I am still working through old stock. I put on a toyota filter that cost me over 7 bucks at the dealer. First and last oil filter I bought at the toyota dealer. Supposed to be really good, but I can get it online much cheaper. I think I even have 3 supertech oil filters in the garage. Bill in Utah thinks they are good, so will probably use those next.

Regarding the BOGO deal. I bought enough PP for 3 oil changes. So I am waiting for the next BOGO deal. I don't have Kragens or any of the places that used to have those really nice dollar deals. So the bogo on PP seems to be one of the better deals in my area.

Cutehumor,
I havn't noticed any oil consumption in my short 10,000 miles but, I have seen others with older versions of this engine report oil usage. Most of those were 2003 and earlier. I have seen a couple people claim that that have over 100k miles and no oil consumption too. I am hoping that being on top of my maintainence will keep oil usage to zero or minimal levels. Before I had my camry I had a wonderful Subaru that never used any oil. I almost bought a new impreza wagon instead of the corolla, but MPGs won.

Mine are the Pure One PL14477 blue filters. I have about 10 of those and I have several of the shorter 14476 one's and a couple of the supertech 4967, have used 1 before with no problems.

I have thought about going 10K on the filters but still undecided about doing it since I have so many of them on hand.

Yeah no Kragens or oreilys here either, no pepboys. Would be nice to have the dollar deals. The New advance auto here has not had a bogo deal yet wich is a bummer

Looks good at 5k. I would stick with 5k intervals and PP. The flashpoint looks a little low and Blackstone can miss borderline fuel dilution. When you are past the powertrain warranty (60k I believe) and if you are considering extending your oci, I would sent a sample to Dyson Analysis to get a better read on fuel dilution. At 5k ocis you will have no problems.

Sent my sample in today of 3 qrts penzoil 5W30 and 1.5 quarts penzoil platinum 5w30. Was run for 4050 miles, will post when results are in.

Yeah it should be ok im sure, I should have gone the full 5K but wanted to change it out. Running val synpower 5-30 and will go at least 7500 with that

Sweet, good luck and if you need something just ask. I'm interested how the Synpower in my Tundra compares to the RP UOA I did a few months back. I did the RP UOA about 2 months ago and I have 800 miles on the Valvoline. The rate I'm going, by the time I'm ready for another UOA, I will be married with children, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back