PP 0w-20 7,400 mi. 2013 Subaru Forester FB25

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for my Forester. I used a prepaid Wix analysis kit.

Original fill:
5.0 quarts Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20
0.5 quarts Castrol Edge 0w-30 GC

Added at 5,000 miles into the OCI:
1.0 quarts Castrol Edge 0w-30 GC

I drive with frequent WOT. My commute is 23 miles of back country roads. Here is a good UOA for comparison.

Html:

Oil PP 0W-20 & GC 0w-30

Miles on Oil 7,400

Miles on Car 22,400

Filter Wix 57830

Sample Date 7/7/14

Make Up Oil 1.0 Qt.

Aluminum 7

Chromium 0

Iron 11

Copper 4

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 58

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 6

Boron 6

Silicon 13

Sodium 7

Calcium 2227

Magnesium 177

Phosphorus 753

Zinc 905

Barium 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.0

Water % 0

TBN 5.0

Originally Posted By: tc1446
I am thinking of buying a Forester. It is normal for these motors to use a quart of oil every 5K?

When they switched to the new engine in '11, there have been oil consumption issues. Some people say Subaru has resolved it in the '15 model year, however there are also people with 2015 models who say they still have consumption issues.

I believe it actually affects a minority of the vehicles, but it's still enough that there's a significant voice on the internet stating their concern. It might also affect the non-turbo models more than the turbo models, but I'm having trouble remembering if that's the case or not, so you might want to confirm it elsewhere.

1 quart every 5k isn't that bad. Yeah you don't want that from a new vehicle, but overall it's not the worse thing that could be wrong. However, there are a good number of people who are right around that 1 quart every 1.5k miles or less, and Subaru says 1 quart every 1.2k miles is within the normal range. Subaru reduced the OCI from 7.5k miles to 6k miles, and people believe that it's directly related to the new engines burning oil and wanting people to get an oil change done before the oil level gets so low it starts causing damage. Subaru has also "coincidently" started putting posters and reminders in their magazine, that checking your oil level between oil changes is supposed to be part of your routine auto care.

I hope Subaru address the issue and fixes it soon, because the Forester really is a great vehicle.

My EJ25's half a quart per 5k isn't looking so bad anymore
wink.gif

Nice report. Cut open that wix so we can have a look.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
I am thinking of buying a Forester. It is normal for these motors to use a quart of oil every 5K?

Subaru claims to have fixed it. I only see measurable consumption when I'm going long distances at 75+ mph. This doesn't seem to be happening with the turbo models, so buy an XT if you can. If not, break it in hard; lots of WOT and engine braking.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
PP 0W-20 + GC = Bandito blend!
thumbsup2.gif

-Dennis

Ha!

It was refilled with a blend too!
4 qts NAPA 0w-20
2 qts Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 20w-50

Nice report. I am using only PP 0w20. Mine does NOT use any noticeable oil at all.

I drive it pretty hard for the most part. I am not easy on my cars.....

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
PP 0W-20 + GC = Bandito blend!
thumbsup2.gif

-Dennis

Ha!

It was refilled with a blend too!
4 qts NAPA 0w-20
2 qts Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 20w-50

Wow!

Do you have enough receipts to show 0W-20 for warranty purposes, or are you just not concerned about the possibility of any Powertrain claims? Hopefully your burning doesn't get worse and then you have cat issues.

-Dennis

I have 0w-20 receipts to cover me for some time. No problems there.

I'm hoping this thicker blend will help with the consumption. I don't have any road trips planned, and it seems at its worst when I'm doing 75 mph on the interstate for long periods. My normal commute is 60 on country roads. I'll keep an eye on it. So far I haven't seen any change in the 500 miles I've driven.

What I really want is a Subaru Levorg anyhow. Maybe they'll stop punishing us and let me order one, or a diesel Forester.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

What I really want is a Subaru Levorg anyhow. Maybe they'll stop punishing us and let me order one, or a diesel Forester.

01.gif

I'm late to the party here but I am a subaru guy. Yea some of the earlier FB engines consumed oil but I think the problem is mostly cured. PP 0W-20 should have around 200 ppm moly you have only 58 ppm. But nice report. Good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back