Potentially "habitable" super earth, discovered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, sort of. Since it likely lacks a true atmosphere, since it had likely been blown away by the intense radiation from it's star, it's still better than anything else we've discovered, and relatively close to earth, as well. At least close enough to be able to study.

http://www.dailytech.com/WaterWorld+Discovered+Only+41+Light+Years+From+Earth/article24888.htm

"Superearth" is a bit toasty with a sun-facing temperature of 2,000 Kelvin (3,140 degrees Fahrenheit)

Affixed in an 18-hour tidally locked orbit, 55 Cancri e is a bit like Earth, although in many ways altogether alien.

I. An Extreme Superearth

The water-world planet is located in a system with at least 5 planets just 41 light years from Earth. The tidal-locking means that its orbit takes the same amount of time that it takes to rotate on its axis -- hence the same "side" of the planet is always facing the Sun. If Earth were tidally locked (which it is not), a particular side (say North and South America) would enjoy 24-hour days, while the opposite side (Asia) would be cloaked in perpetual darkness.

This raises some interesting possibilities for 55 Cancri e. Based on new infrared light data collected from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, scientists have developed new insight into the alien world's climate. Cancri e's sun-facing side is a scorching 2,000 Kelvin (3,140 degrees Fahrenheit), with water existing in a super-critical state where it is found in localized, ever-shifting pockets of liquid and gas, topped with a thick blanket of steam. But the night side is likely cool and liquid.

The blazing heat from the 55 Cancri star means there is likely no atmosphere, since it would long ago have burned away. No atmosphere means that there would be no substantial heat transfer to the far reaches of the night side, making it almost as cold as the other side is hot. But betwixt the icy night side and the blistering supercritical day side, there could be a region in which water is almost at Earth-like temperatures, warmed by conductive currents from the day-side.

Such a region of the water-world could support life, in theory, or be colonizable, although NASA concludes that most of the planet's icy or blazing surface is generally "not habitable".

Scientists hypothesize that a rocky core may lie deep between the deep-water sea. Such a core could provide basic mineral resources to organisms or human colonists.

II. Planet to be Further Examined in 2018

While the Spitzer telescope has been on the planetary hunt since 2005, 55 Cancri e is its first "superearth" discovery. "Superearth" refers to a recently discovered class of planets that shares some similarities to our own. The planets are generally more massive than Earth, but lighter than lesser gas giants like Neptune. 55 Cancri e is about twice the radius of Earth and about eight times as massive.

The foreign world will be further probed by the NASA James Webb Space Telescope, which will launch in 2018. The James Webb Telescope will be equipped with more advanced spectral sensors capable of examining the exact chemical compositions of superearth planets like 55 Cancri e, probing them for fundamental life necessities like carbon. The James Webb Telescope was originally scheduled for a 2013 launch, and narrowly avoided being scrapped in 2011 due to budgetary concerns.

2000K??!? Mostly irrelevant IMO. I'm not going to count on the ideal middle spot to serve as my home.

Still neat all the same!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
2000K??!? Mostly irrelevant IMO. I'm not going to count on the ideal middle spot to serve as my home.

Still neat all the same!

As the article mentions though, most planets that are tidally locked, the far side is usually cool, and there may be a small, partially habitable strip near the zone of perpetual dusk/dawn.

I love reading stuff like this!

So I guess we dont need to pack a jacket?!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Still neat all the same!

As the article mentions though, most planets that are tidally locked, the far side is usually cool, and there may be a small, partially habitable strip near the zone of perpetual dusk/dawn.

No I saw that. But a potentially habitable strip where random turbulent currents make the conditions ok??!? Not something im willing to trust to live in.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
super "earth" my behind.

interesting nonetheless.

The correct terminology is Superterrestrial, but regardless, it is very interesting. I bet we will be finding lots more of these kinds of planets, now that we know that solar systems, stars with planets, are the rule rather than the exception.

We dont truly know it to be the rule. We make assumptions via spectrographic info from light waves that are very old and have shifted in who knows what way across tons of gas clouds, dust and whatever else it has transited.

It always was reasonable that similar structured solar systems and planets exist, but this one may be the norm - highly different in practical terms from earth.

Read Orson Scott Card's "Memory of Earth". Given some reactions on this thread, it could be re-labelled "Non Fiction"

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
This is science with an agenda.

as opposed to that which IS an agenda ??

What agenda?

We've been looking for exo-planets for a while. We found another one - and it's very different from what we've seen before...that's just another interesting discovery...what possible agenda is in that?

Possible. But this is also a load of conjecture and hypothesis, and subject to change if we ever get there!

That's what is so interesting...the spectral evidence of water...and the extreme heat on the sunward side, meaning that water must exist on it, likely in the transition zone between perpetual night and day...

3140°F is white-hot. That means everything that is that temperature glows white. It's hotter than the lava we're familiar with.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

What agenda?

We've been looking for exo-planets for a while. We found another one - and it's very different from what we've seen before...that's just another interesting discovery...what possible agenda is in that?

agenda to discredit religion

So, science and religion are incompatible?

I've always found that oversimplification to be so irritating...it is often true that scientists are not religious, but it's not true that science and religion are incompatible reference frames.

Many of the deepest thinkers were quite religious or spritual. Great names like Galileo, who, despite the actions of the Catholic Church on his publishing his views of heliocentrism, was a devout Catholic who had once considered the priesthood as his profession.

He took, as many scientists do, the St. Augustine position; that the passages of scripture that were poetic, or lyrical, were not intended to be taken literally...

I'll stop here before I run afoul of the board's rules, but for me personally, I don't see that the two disciplines of science and religion are in conflict. They seek different sets of answers to different questions.

It is often only the ignorant who see the conflict between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back