JWST show us baby stars...

The James Webb Space Telescope sent us pics of Baby Stars.... The new Webb image released today features the nearest star-forming region to us. Its proximity at 390 light-years allows for a highly detailed close-up, with no foreground stars in the intervening space.
A light year is nearly 6 trillion miles...

Interestingly, on Earth, in 1863, Galileo Galilei went on trial in Rome for saying the Earth revolved around the sun.

1689257892475.png

Last edited:
I hope I dont throw this off your topic (it is about space)but as soon as I saw it I cant help to think about a technology from the dark ages of the 1970s. Now operating for 45 years traveling through space at just under 40,000 MPH and crossed outside our solar system some time ago, truly history.

Two explorer spacecrafts built in the 1970s (think about that) operating far past their "expiration" dates are still functioning to some degree sending back data from now interstellar space. With at the time a gold DVD on board should some aliens find it one day 100s of years from now, the DVD contains the position of earth and about the human race.
I remember at the time there was debate if giving away our position was a wise thing to do.

Anyway, to this day, here is the live feed from NASA ... boy the things we did and can achieve as a nation/people.

"Voyager 1 is the farthest human-made object from Earth and the first spacecraft to reach interstellar space. Scientists think it will reach in the inner edge of the Oort Cloud in 300 years."

Correct position in relation to our solar system which is has passed into interstellar space in 2012

Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 10.49.17 AM.png

Ps, AWESOME photographs from the James Web, I dont know much about it, I knew more at the time about the "old" Hubble *LOL* Guess that tells my age ...

Last edited:
The James Webb Space Telescope sent us pics of Baby Stars.... The new Webb image released today features the nearest star-forming region to us. Its proximity at 390 light-years allows for a highly detailed close-up, with no foreground stars in the intervening space.

Interestingly, on Earth, in 1863, Galileo Galilei went on trial in Rome for saying the Earth revolved around the sun.

View attachment 166733
Typo alert! Galileo's trial was in 1633, but you knew that.

Regards,
John

View attachment 166733
Great picture. The trial of Galaleo was in 1633, not 1863. By 1863 all believed the earth was round and the sun was the center and they knew about galaxies outside the Milky Way.

These pictures start something like this. There is very heavy processing involved to end up with the stunning photos as in the OP.

View attachment 166765
Exactly. Webb's orbit is 1M miles from Earth, not exactly nearby. Despite this, it takes only 5 seconds for Webb to send data to Earth. But those data aren’t delivered as an image. Instead, the data are transmitted to Earth in the form of bits. The bits are transformed into black-and-white images, and these processed images are made available to the public quickly, unless there is a proprietary research period (typically one year).

When any of the bit files are initially opened and processed into images, they appear almost totally black. This doesn’t mean they contain no information. Instead, they require stretching or rescaling to identify where the information was captured within that particular filter’s image. The universe is very dim, especially in infrared light, so the most interesting parts of a Webb image are buried in the darkest regions. The bit files contain more than the image, they contain meta and other types of data.
In every Webb image, each pixel can be one of over 65,000 different shades of gray.

Last edited:

View attachment 166733
How much of that is photoshopped?

Pictures are out of this world. I just tried to stick a 41MB JWST 7680x1440 picture as my wallpaper and it just crashed my file explorer. What is out there they don't want me to see 🕵️‍♂️

Back