Potential oil spill warning if you have Supertech in your stash

IMG_0578.JPG

Walked into my laundry room where I store some oil and see a big puddle on the floor. Start pulling jugs off the shelf until I find this.

IMG_0577.JPG

How does this happen?

IMG_0579.JPG

They have been there at least a year.

Had a jug of Mobil 1 do that on the passenger side floorboard of my Grand Sport over the course of a week or so. It had a imperceptible leak at the seam on the bottom of the jug. Still smells like oil if I park it in the sun and it was a few years ago. I use plastic boot trays now under my jugs that I got at IKEA.

Seriously ^^^^^^

A obvious yet great point... Plastic can crack too.

I remember everything was glass when I first started working in a local grocery store. Within 4 years everything was in plastic.

Another warning about plastic containters. DON'T PUT ANTIFREEZE IN LOGO'D BUCKETS YOU BUY AT THE BIG BOX STORES! Ask me how I know.

This is my major concern with having a large oil stash, it's not that the oil gets old or goes bad - I'm not worried about that, but rather it's how long can I trust the plastic oil containers and the plastic lids.

I've lost 1 gallon of Prestone and 3 gallons of Great Value distilled water to this. It's pretty clear that a lot of companies are buying plastic jugs as cheaply as possible, durability be ****ed. I've got quite a few 5-quart jugs of Mobil1 and PP out there I guess I'll start praying for.

This is concerning, but most/much of my oil is in either an extra outer plastic bag or a shipping box to retain or mitigate oil spills or damage to the container. But yeah, this would be a massive mess.

I had a very old gallon of A&P hand detergent (for restroom dispensers) do that. Also 1-gallon milk bottles after I've used them repeatedly for drinking water. Never a plastic oil container (which are the same material, but much thicker), so far.

Plastic works great until it cracks. I had that happen to detergent bottles.
Detergent bottles, a bottle of windshield washer fluid in a carpeted bedroom storage area (carpet is still orange), cooking oil, you name it.

The bearings and bolts on that shelf will last forever with a quality synthetic changed at recommended intervals. Have you sent it in for a UOA to know when you should puncture your next bottle?

That's awful, man. Hope you were able to find a way to clean it up.

One reason why I keep any my oil in the garage and not in the house, well the other reason would be the wife not letting me.

I've had quart bottles that I use to transfer oil out of 5 quart jugs leak on me but that is from them being old.

Back