Potential oil spill warning if you have Supertech in your stash

Several years ago, Dollar General threw some Peak oil on a BOGO sale, bringing it to well under $2/quart, tranny oil included. I bought some and noticed that after about a year, their containers did the same. While I don't have a huge stash, at least like a few members here, I now store all my oil in those big rectangular totes that WM sells. If it then leaks, it's contained in the tote.

I had a 5 qt. jug of Pennzoil Platimum start leaking in my garage about a year ago. By the time I caught it there was just over 3 quarts of it gone that had soaked into the concrete floor so I transferred the remainder into some empty qt. bottles I had and used it during my last oil change. Over the 30 years I've been storing oil long term I've probably lost between 1-2 gallons. Up until this last time I think it had always been a quart here and there usually a several years apart. I hate that I lost it but considering the money I've saved by buying it cheap and storing it until needed it's not a great loss. Even the 5 qt. jug of Pennzoil Platinum I only had $5. in. I'd bought it about 15 years ago for $10 a jug with a $5. rebate. I had a bottle of windshield washer fluid a few months ago that had been sitting outside where it was exposed to the sunlight and when I picked it up to use it the handle had got brittle from the sunlight and broke off spilling the fluid. There are about 1/2 dozen metal cans of Havoline 10w40 in the storage building at mom's house that dad probably bought 45 years ago or longer. They are all still full.

As others have said, it happens. It’s not that it was Supertech. I’ve had two big oil spills to clean up in the last couple years. I bought a 5 qt jug of QSUD and put it with my stash in my basement utility room on the second shelf. Well at some point it sprung a leak and made a gigantic mess. This was discovered just a few weeks after purchasing. So it wasn’t exactly old. Who knows why. Just a weak point in the bottom of the jug seam. I no longer store oil on shelves or above anything else. It’s on the floor in the utility room where there’s no carpet or anything else it could ruin.

My other huge spill was used oil stored in milk jugs. Never again. I had about 4 gallons of old oil on a shelf in a garage closet. I had gotten lazy about taking it in to drop off. 3 of the jugs gave out. Ho-lee cow. Now I only store the used oil in old oil containers and also put those containers in a plastic tote. But I also try to drop them off sooner too.

I've never had that happen, although the only fluid/lubes I might have sitting a year or more in gallon or quart OEM containers is transmission fluid or coolant. My 5qt jugs of oil are usually cycled though with in a few months. Even after I use the 5qt containers as used oil storage until the time offload them.

After the holidays you can purchase those aluminum Turkey roast disposable pans on sale. One could get 2-3 jugs in each. Probably cheaper than a plastic tote.

I have seen it twice over the years. One was a Pennzoil bottle and the other a Valvoline bottle. Both times it was at the mold line where the translucent level strip blends into the solid color blow molding.

I think it is pretty much a freak thing and not necessarily an inevitability situation.

I assumed something caused it to wrinkle which caused the plastic to crack on the bottom.
I think it already had the crack as a manufacturing defect, which leaked, causing a slight vacuum inside and then the air pressure crushed the container from the outside. Only possible with a good seal on the lid.

Another warning about plastic containters. DON'T PUT ANTIFREEZE IN LOGO'D BUCKETS YOU BUY AT THE BIG BOX STORES! Ask me how I know.
What does a "Logo'd bucket " mean in this context?

do yo mean one of HD's orange 5 gallon bucket? (ie the logo is for HD .. or lowes)

Or does it mean something else?

-A

So what caused the jug to wrinkle up like that?
I would say non-pallated shipping damaged the bottle due to rough handling (but not the collapse) .

Could it be GF-6A advanced chemicals hate jugs and want to leave - now! ?

Or in a more sinister vein, Artificial oil intelligence gone awry ! Issac Asimov warned us of such.

The container would collapse if air tight and contents partially emptied. May happen with a leak on the bottom of the jug and with inter-molecular attraction and tension and the puddle expanding - like tugging on strands of yarn - but with no air ingress, and air pressure at near 15 pounds per square inch, this scenario could easily collapse the bottle - to a point or force equilibrium. Then the leak will stop. The Bottle will collapse no further.
- Ken

I had a small amount of 2 cycle oil + gasoline in an older plastic fuel container leak.

I had pop in an aluminum can leak too. That makes quite a mess squirting through a pinhole leak. But the can was well past the best before date so I can't complain.

Back in the 60s and 70’s all quart containers were made out of cardboard with metal tops and bottoms. They leaked if you just looked at them.

I have those same racks in my garage, lots of them. They were medical records shelves in a doctors office that had closed.

Back