Post your oil changing mishaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last of the GM Iron Dukes used a gigantic pipe cap looking thing to cover the hole for the open element filter. It had a habit of cinching itself snug all by itself so I learned to tighten it just past finger tight. Whoever did the last change on my Celebrity before I bought it must not have learned this trick. To remove the stupid plug took two men and a 4ft cheater bar: probably close to 1000 ft-lbs. Those engines seemed to be pretty durable but boy did I hate doing oil changes on it. I often had to practically destroy the filter to get it out, chewing away at it with a pair of pliers.

Once upon a time the landscaping company I worked for loaned me an old 1988 diesel f350 to use for a month. I decided to do the oil change it needed myself and so bought the oil and filters. I saw that the truck gave me plenty of clearance to get my pan underneath so I didn't bother putting the truck up on ramps. What I failed to grasp was that a pickup truck's diesel engine holds a bit more oil than I was used to catching. I did have a 5 gallon bucket 50 feet away when I realized that my pan was not up to catching the gusher that came out when I removed the drain plug. However I didn't have enough clearance to get the bucket under the truck and so I lost many, many quarts of nasty, sooty into my gravel driveway.

Like many others, I forgot to re-install the drain plug, but this was on my girlfriend's car, in her father's garage. 4 quarts of QS on the floor. I was there alone and the nearest place to get more oil was a 2 mile walk. That was 35 years ago...haven't done it since. Good thing, too, because that walk would about kill me now...
grin2.gif

Here is a good story:

Picture it Philadelphia 1999, my non-mechanical roommate wants to learn how to do an oil change on his new 1998 honda civic. After draining the oil I struggled for about an hour getting the factory oil filter off, I used a drill and a screwdriver and it finally broke. Filter was replaced and oil was added just as you would for any oilchange.

We then started the car and all sounded well and we moved it into a different space. Once parked and Idleing I looked down at my feet and saw the entire contents of the the oil pan slowly pouring out. The car was shut offf and jacked up. I quickly discovered the culprit--The original gasket was left stuck on the engine and the new filter gasket was just contacting another piece of rubber creating no real seal. The oilchange was repeated and the problem never recurred. I always check the old filter now. All in all a funny story.

When I first started at Wal-Mart TLE in 2007, on my first car, I went to put oil in the engine. I didn't realize the oil dispenser guns were pressurized. Figured oil flowed out of them like it would pour out of a bottle.

Put hose in oil fill hole, and pulled trigger on full blast. Oil hose flys up out of hole, and sprays me, and the entire engine, with a nice thick coae of Pennzoil 5W-30. Didn't do THAT again!

Beyond that, I left the oil fill caps off a couple of cars for a few seconds when doing the 'start test'. Never left a filter off, or didn't put oil in an engine.

Two related tails.

As a kid I drained the oil on my Honda CB77 motorcycle then promptly misplaced the drain plug. I spent hours looking but couldn't find it anywhere so tried to find a substitute but had nothing metric. So I filed down an old wine (sherry) cork stopper. After much fiddling got it down to the approximate diameter and screwed it in and then added the liter or so of oil that it took. Road 15 miles to the Honda shop to get a new drain plug. Shop installed the new plug. Road home. The next day, my mother found the plug. I had left it on top of the fridge when I went into the house to get a drink.

In my BMW, After draining the oil in the garage a few winters ago, screwed back in the drain plug and stripped the head off the plug while torquing it down. BMW plugs are hollow in the threaded portion. Managed to get the remains of the old plug out
put couldn't find a temporary replacement. Got my bicycle out of the basement and road it the three miles to Cdn tire to get a new plug.

Oh yeh, as a kid again, I once dripped carrying a pan of 5 quarts of hot engine oil I had just drained out of my Ford Capri. It went every where.

I used to have '73 Peugoet 504. It had scissors jack and the vehicle had a provision for jacking the car at the front.

One time, when in a hurry and needing to jack it up for brake work or something, the threaded shaft wasn't aligned properly and it poked through the oil pan as I raised the car, emptying the pan of all the original Mobil 1 Diester that I had put in a week before.

That was the last time I bought synthetic oil for 20 years.

The first solo oil change I ever did was on my dads Dodge Ram Van when I was about 13 years old. Everything went great except I REALLY tightened down the oil plug and stripped it out. Luckily, it was just the plug I'd stripped and not the pan. Needless to say, I now use my torque wrench on oil plugs.

Last edited:
Last year, I dropped the old oil filter as I was removing it. It landed upside-down on my forehead. I ended up having to wash my hair with Dawn to get it out.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: steve20
this thread should end any future discussions regarding the foibles of quick lube places?

Steve

Nah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIEHbD2mWIA

Has anyone here done that?!?
LOL.gif

When I worked at a Chevy dealer,I once saw a Caprice fall off of a lift,while the mechanic stood their trying to hold it up! (reflexes I guess)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiotGrip
Here is a good story:

Picture it Philadelphia 1999, my non-mechanical roommate wants to learn how to do an oil change on his new 1998 honda civic. After draining the oil I struggled for about an hour getting the factory oil filter off, I used a drill and a screwdriver and it finally broke. Filter was replaced and oil was added just as you would for any oilchange.

We then started the car and all sounded well and we moved it into a different space. Once parked and Idleing I looked down at my feet and saw the entire contents of the the oil pan slowly pouring out. The car was shut offf and jacked up. I quickly discovered the culprit--The original gasket was left stuck on the engine and the new filter gasket was just contacting another piece of rubber creating no real seal. The oilchange was repeated and the problem never recurred. I always check the old filter now. All in all a funny story.

Sounds like "the golden girls" from NBC

Originally Posted By: talker
Originally Posted By: RiotGrip
Here is a good story:

Sounds like "the golden girls" from NBC

Glad someone got the reference.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: GOPHER FREAK
The first solo oil change I ever did was on my dads Dodge Ram Van when I was about 13 years old. Everything went great except I REALLY tightened down the oil plug and stripped it out. Luckily, it was just the plug I'd stripped and not the pan. Needless to say, I now use my torque wrench on oil plugs.

I'd purchased a brand new '88 Cougar from a dealer in the Dallas, TX area, who will remain unnamed in this post. They sweetened the deal by throwing in free oil changes for the life of the car. On the first oil change I had them do, they stripped out the drain plug. Luckily, it was just the plug and not the pan.
I never had them do another oil change on that car again.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

When I worked at a Chevy dealer,I once saw a Caprice fall off of a lift,while the mechanic stood their trying to hold it up! (reflexes I guess)

Is he still alive?

My brother-in-law, the engineer, screwed up about twenty years ago. He had just bought my sister a brand new Mazda 626 with a 5 speed and wanted to save money on an oil change. He even wanted to get the oil out early, at 1500 miles, you know, to get those "shavings" out of the engine. Well, he drained what he thought was the oil, replaced the filter, poured in new oil, and sis was off and running.....for about a mile. The transmission was now junk. You know the rest. Luckily, the engine was OK. It cost him about two grand to make things right, but on his salary, it wasn't a major hit. I did remind him, however, that you might not want to tell TOO many people about this.

my dad always hated me changing my oil on his driveway, and the very last time i used his drive way,,,,well we had a little problem.

He was complaining as only dads can about oil on his drive way, as i was taking an big piece of cardboard and laying it down on the drive way to protect it as a good son would, drove my F250 diesel pickup on it and started to change the oil, ok drained the pan alls good so far, now for the filter,,,, move the pan over ok good,,, now loosen the filter, hang on tight OOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPS
it slides down my arm, hits the drive way at my arm pit, it flips covers my face and hair and of course the drive way with oil, and by god NOT one drop of oil landed on the card board!!!

dad still laughs about that, and i drip on my own drive way these days!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: lexus114

Is he still alive?

yes,it was reflexes at first.And then everyone started yelling at him to get the h3ll out of the way! Man that thing shook the whole shop when it landed.

Last edited:
Once drained my oil and removed the filter to discover I didn't have a new filter (forgot to buy it) and was the only one home and no other car. Put the old filter on and put the new oil in figuring if I tightened it firmly it would be ok. Leaked like crazy all the way to the parts store. Had to buy 3 more quarts of oil & new filter....
43.gif

One time didn't tighten an oil filter enough, causing it to leak. Once left oil cap off, making a big mess. A few times tried to put oil in engine without a funnel; not a good idea.

Originally Posted By: BGK
One time didn't tighten an oil filter enough, causing it to leak. Once left oil cap off, making a big mess. A few times tried to put oil in engine without a funnel; not a good idea.

LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back