Post your latest small engine oil change

new toro/163cc b&s,,in trop-artic sm,,will run couple of mowings ,change ,then back in the same ,,,run rest of year,then mobil 0w-40 for rest of time

OIP.mpNjKowQCrvYRs3dHuad0AHaEp
Here is a small engine oil changer . :ROFLMAO:

Briggs 163cc (never change oil version).
14 oz Briggs SAE 30 and 1 oz Sta-bil Small Engine Pro.
Also changed plug from E3 ( could find one that day) to regular Champion RC12YC. New Briggs air filter. Fresh gas with 1 oz Small engine pro.

This old Ariens 911164 with the Kohler I got from my father in law.

Out: unknown
In: Supertech 5w30

View attachment 156436

View attachment 156437
I had one with a deck like that but it didn't have the caster wheels up front, it wasn't a self propelled version either, had a 5hp flatty Tecumseh on it, manufactured about this time of year in 1989, I don't know what masochist went out of their way to buy a heavy Ariens like this and not get it self propelled then to add insult to injury it only had the bagger, so with a full grass bag it weighed well over 100lbs.

I had one with a deck like that but it didn't have the caster wheels up front, it wasn't a self propelled version either, had a 5hp flatty Tecumseh on it, manufactured about this time of year in 1989, I don't know what masochist went out of their way to buy a heavy Ariens like this and not get it self propelled then to add insult to injury it only had the bagger, so with a full grass bag it weighed well over 100lbs.
Yeah this thing is heavy. RWD self propel but the speed adjustment is a push rod. It's an odd beast.

Just changed the oil 2X in a free-bee Craftsman walk-behind mower w/6.5 B&S using Pennzoil Dino 10w40
(and new plug & air filter). Oil was coal black.

This mower was my neighbors that starts quickly, runs weak and only stays running til the primed fuel is gone. Prolly needs a needle valve or a new carb…I think ! :unsure: Not quite my forte’.

The deck(& beneath), the blade, the handles, the wheels & adjusters and even the outside of the engine looks absolutely brilliant when all cleaned up. If I get it running, its a $200 mower all day long.

Last edited:
Changed the transmission oil in my 2002 JD LT150 with a K46 tonight.

Out unknow, but I suspect the original oil. It was pretty dark and had a Hygard type smell.
In 2 quarts of Castrol Edge 5w50 and topped off with some Farm & Fleet 5w40 because I needed about 2.25 quarts.

Just my $0.02

We're selling our house so my father-in-law let me borrow his mower so I can keep the yard looking good for showings. I wanted to do something for him as a way to say thanks so I decided to do an oil change and spark plug change. Prior it had a little bit of difficulty starting but after started up right away and ran much stronger! The spark plug was in rough shape.

Tecumseh 4.5:

Out- no idea but it was nasty! Who knows how long it's been in there, was slightly low as well.

In- O'Reilly 10w40 and 1 oz of Lubegard

She's an old girl that had that front drive transmission assist at one point but it's been disconnected long ago. Still gets the job done 👍
20230517_195435.jpg

Ridgid pressure washer with ~6 hp Subaru SP170 engine and CAT pump:
  • Out: Don't know what I put in last time (most likely Castrol GTX or Pennzoil conventional 10W-30), but it was a few years ago. Came out not so dark.
  • John Deere Turf-Gard 10W-30 (SP/ILSAC GF-6A)
Air filter checked and added non-EtOH gas. Starts on first or second pull from cold and runs like a champ. Will replace the CAT pump oil in the next few days.

Back