Post your latest small engine oil change

Craftsman riding mower with 22 HP Briggs twin cylinder

377 hours
Out: Mobil Delvac 15w40
Off: Briggs oil filter

In: Mobil Delvac 15w40
On: Fram FE3614

Also changed spark plugs, greased spindles, bearings, and steering knuckles
Have 500 hours on this engine of the J.D.130 . Takes a beating . 5w-30 synthetics used were / are P.U.P. , P.P. and SHELL R.G.T. along with J.D. filters . Level on stick was beneath the FULL level and topped with 3 or 4 ounces of HONDA 10w-30 conventional . Now it's reading a bit above FULL . Mow about 3 acres .

Last edited:
A. Craftsman front tine tiller from the early 90's with power reverse. Briggs and Stratton Quantum 5 hp motor. Took it out to till the garden today. Started up easily; warmed and changed oil; checked things out.
  • Out: Pennzoil conventional 10W-30; was quite dirty. Has been a few years since the oil was changed.
  • In: John Deere Turf-Gard 10W-30 (SP/ILSAC GF-6A)
  • Air filter checked - OK
  • Non EtOH fuel added
Tilled the garden and it performed flawlessly.

B. Honda HRX217HXA. Have had this one since 2006, I think. Honda GCV190 motor.
  • Out: Pennzoil conventional 10W-30. Been a couple of years since previous oil change.
  • In: John Deere Turf-Gard 10W-30 (SP/ILSAC GF-6A)
  • Air filter checked - OK
  • Non EtOH fuel added
Mower continues to run like a champ ever since purchase. Need to get a new set of blades.

I googled and others in old posts said it looked like this on a new engine. Won’t worry about it

I filled the original 12 Oz bottle to keep myself honest, though the quart bottle had measurements…

This is a 21” lawnmower

Used Supertech 10W30 synth blend

IMG_5310.jpeg

Neighbor's Toro Recycler with the Brigg's "never change the oil, just top off" motor. He dumped in a full 20 oz and didnt check the dip stick. Was a good 3" up the dip stick. Smoked the block.

Out: old fill + 20 oz brigg's branded 30wt
In: 18 oz supertech 5w30

I know. Seems there are other threads where even after a change, it comes out this way multiple times. Maybe wear on a new engine causes it?? 😧

When I bought my riding mower, it was used and I was told it was "taken good care of". When I drained the oil, it was a silver color and looked nasty as well.

Since I've changed the oil, it hasn't looked like that silver color.

🤷

I know. Seems there are other threads where even after a change, it comes out this way multiple times. Maybe wear on a new engine causes it?? 😧
This is pretty normal for a new lawnmower for the oil to look bad on the first change. Change it a few more times this summer. I changed my lawnmower oil every month (about every 5 hrs). After 3 or 4 changes, it drained clean. I now change it every other year. I typically use it about 30hrs per season.

This is pretty normal for a new lawnmower for the oil to look bad on the first change. Change it a few more times this summer. I changed my lawnmower oil every month (about every 5 hrs). After 3 or 4 changes, it drained clean. I now change it every other year. I typically use it about 30hrs per season.
Great idea, why not? It only takes 12 Oz, so 1 quart is almost 3 changes. I can always do 3 changes this season and it’s just 1 1/4 bottles….I plan on this machine outlasting me. Jokingly and sad to say at the same time…🙂

Kohler 25 HP V twin installed on the GT5000
Out: about 2 qts of Synthetic 10W30 H/M with oem Kohler Pro oil filter
In: VP Full synthetic small engine 4 cycle 10W30/SAE30 oil with a Purolator L10241 filter
View attachment 154916View attachment 154915

Husqvarna all wheel drive Briggs & Stratton 6.75 HP lawn mower
Out: Synthetic 10W30 H/M
In: VP full synthetic small engine 4 cycle 10W30/SAE30 oil
View attachment 154918View attachment 154919

Craftsman Briggs & Stratton 6.5HP 3200 PSI power washer
Out: Synthetic 10W30 H/M
In: VP Full synthetic small engine 4 cycle 10W30/SAE30 oil
View attachment 154914

Oil used:
View attachment 154917
That oil is good choice for air cooled engines!

The best engine that Kawasaki ever made!!
Yep one of my favorites for sure. Runs like a clock, not sure how many hours are on it. Definitely simpler and less thirsty than the V-Twins. I have about 2 acres, and used to mow with a 54" John Deere tractor with a V-Twin Kohler. That used about 2 gallons to mow the lawn, the Exmark it feels like 5 gallons lasts me a whole season.

Excell pressure washer - Honda GCV190
Out: Rotella T6 15w40
In: Valvoline PB 15w40

Also had someone bring this in for an oil change, very early Honda lawn mower, HR21. Has a GV150 flathead engine, 3.5hp. It does smoke a bit, but otherwise everything works. Changed the oil with Kawasaki 4-stroke 20w50.

Attachments

• IMG_5904.jpg
    IMG_5904.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5905.jpg
    IMG_5905.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5906.jpg
    IMG_5906.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 17
Back