Post your latest small engine oil change

Husqvarna 7021P pusher (not self propelled) with Honda GCV160.

M1 EP 10W-30 (had a pint lying around).

Doubt the oil had ever been changed before - it was sorta gray and the viscosity was definitely lacking.

Will eventually just use M1 15W-50, as that’s what I’m using in my Gravely ZT-XL rider, and I don’t want to keep multiple oils sitting around for my OPE.

My sister gave it to me because it had been sitting in their garage for a few years, unused, since my brother in law accidentally put 2 stroke mix in it (or so I was told - they couldnt remember). They eventually just gave up and hired a lawn service.

I took it home, expecting to have to pull the carburetor and clean it, but, after draining the old gas from the tank (carburetor was dry), fresh oil, ethanol-free 90 octane, a new plug and air filter, it started on the first pull.

Wonderfully light, simple machine. Makes it a breeze to touch up the sides of the steep ditch that goes around the front and side yards of our corner lot.

Craftsman single cylinder rider. I went out to start it the other day and it wouldn't turn over. Hmm... battery is getting kind of old, better jump it. No dice, won't crank. Pull the spark plug and get a bunch of gas out of the spark plug. "Houston, we have a problem." Hydrolocked. Jump on Amazon to order a Walbro replacement for the junky Nikki carb. Meanwhile, gotta change the oil again.

Out: a whole lot of 8:1 2 cycle mix, Fram XG-3614
In: discount rack conventional Quaker State 20w-50, SuperTech ST3614

Stiga Multiclip 46

Out: No idea, pitch black liquid
In: Neste Special SAE30

20230522_121206e.JPG
20230522_131323e.JPG

Ariens SHO28 Snow Blower

Out: Too old (age, not hours) Pennzoil Platinum 5w30

In: Amsoil Small Engine 10w30

Ran the carb out of gas, pulled the plug after it cooled and shot some Stabil fogging oil in the hole. New spark plug will be installed after first fire in the fall.

1995 John Deere LX188
Out: Mobil 1 0w40 winter plowing starts
In: 3/4 quart 15w40 CJ4 Delo & 3/4 quart 5w40 CK4 Rotella T6- just using up some open jugs.

Left the Fram TG4967 on as it’s only a year old or less.

Seems about right. 😁
Good customer, but man his equipment always comes in to me in rough shape. Just did another machine of his:

2014 John Deere Ztrak Z255 - 22hp Briggs V-Twin
Out: Napa SAE 30, Kawasaki filter
In: Napa 15w40, Napa 21348 filter

Also added an in-line fuel shut-off valve, since this had running issues and sat with fuel in it over winter, so the carburetor was gummed up.

Craftsman YTS 3000 riding mower, 42" cut
Briggs and Stratton single cylinder 21 horse engine
Out: Briggs and Stratton SAE 30, Briggs and Stratton filter
In: Traveller HD 15w40, Purolator red can L10241 filter

Craftsman 6.75 190cc 21 inch push mower
Oil Out: Unknown - gray/black ish in color, but full.
In: 20.5 oz of VP full synthetic 10W30/SAE30

The "story". It was a freebie that was on the side of road (for scrape metal pick up) with a one word piece of paper taped on it... "works".. Okay I will take the gamble as I have three of these 6.75-7.25 190CC briggs flat heads.. whats another one for parts?

Got it home, unloaded and I was just going to feel "compression" of engine, (had gas and darker oil in it) pulled the pull string lightly the engine turned over TWICE and it started. It's by far the easiest "ready start" briggs I have ever came across. The mower its self is nothing special but it did come with the bagger and discharge plastic guard. It's also extremely light with no deck rot while "only" 21 inches.

To finish it up, changed out the clogged air filter, cleaned and gapped the oem fine point plug, tightened the head bolts down, and gave it a good foam wash.
IMG_3121.jpeg

Craftsman 6.75 190cc 21 inch push mower
Oil Out: Unknown - gray/black ish in color, but full.
In: 20.5 oz of VP full synthetic 10W30/SAE30

The "story". It was a freebie that was on the side of road (for scrape metal pick up) with a one word piece of paper taped on it... "works".. Okay I will take the gamble as I have three of these 6.75-7.25 190CC briggs flat heads.. whats another one for parts?

Got it home, unloaded and I was just going to feel "compression" of engine, (had gas and darker oil in it) pulled the pull string lightly the engine turned over TWICE and it started. It's by far the easiest "ready start" briggs I have ever came across. The mower its self is nothing special but it did come with the bagger and discharge plastic guard. It's also extremely light with no deck rot while "only" 21 inches.

To finish it up, changed out the clogged air filter, cleaned and gapped the oem fine point plug, tightened the head bolts down, and gave it a good foam wash.
View attachment 160618
It's hard to beat those old 6.75 B&S craftsman mowers. I have put mine through hell for close to 20 years and it still starts on the first pull.

Troy-Bilt chipper/vacuum/shredder 5.5 HP 195cc Briggs and Stratton
Out: Factory Fill SAE30? Oil was full and still “kinda” golden color.
In: 20.5oz VP full synthetic SAE30/10W30

IMG_3187.jpeg

Back