Post your latest small engine oil change

Mobil1 15w-50 in the old MF16 yard mule. This was a rescue years ago, bound for the scrapper (just could not let that happen), that I tried my hand at restoring and is now used for turning trailers and non-drivable cars around a long, sloped and tight driveway.
MF n 10 21.jpg

Troy built pony, 17 hp b&s. Out: unknown in: Schaeffer's 700 synshield durability advantage 15w-40. No oil filter on this engine. Oci is once per season

Good customer, but man his equipment always comes in to me in rough shape. Just did another machine of his:

2014 John Deere Ztrak Z255 - 22hp Briggs V-Twin
Out: Napa SAE 30, Kawasaki filter
In: Napa 15w40, Napa 21348 filter

Also added an in-line fuel shut-off valve, since this had running issues and sat with fuel in it over winter, so the carburetor was gummed up.
Is the "out" record based upon his memory or your records? If the latter, why did you switch from SAE 30 to 15W-40?

Put a used head on the old John Deere F510 and changed the oil today. It has a 14hp Kawasaki power unit that is also the hydraulic unit. They share the same oil though somewhat segregated. 3.4L of Citgo 5w30 HM synthetic and a Fram Tough guard filter.

I first drained it and got 2L out. Total capacity is 3.4L. So then I added 1.4L of new oil and drained that. Out comes 1.4L of more dirty oil. Closed the drain and filled up with 2L and right on the mark. At least until I start it.

2019 Generac 16kw standby generator, GT999 engine
OCI: one year, 34.2 hours runtime
Out: Miles Lubricants 5w-30 synthetic, Fram TG4386 filter
In: Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w-30, Fram PH4386 filter

This unit runs in weekly exercise mode for 12 minutes. So other runtime for the year was about 24 hours. Engine runs on propane, which I think contributes to moisture buildup in the sump. Not happy with what the old oil looked like, but I think it's common in these engines.

GT999 062523.JPG

Last edited:

This unit runs in weekly exercise mode for 12 minutes. So other runtime for the year was about 24 hours. Engine runs on propane, which I think contributes to moisture buildup in the sump. Not happy with what the old oil looked like, but I think it's common in these engines.

View attachment 163295
That’s some ugly looking oil. I wonder if it’s from the short cycles that contribute to that. Is that interval and duration adjustable? Could you do every other week for 24 minutes? That might help burn off the moisture.

Just my $0.02

Changed the transmission oil in my 2002 JD LT150 with a K46 tonight.

Out unknow, but I suspect the original oil. It was pretty dark and had a Hygard type smell.
In 2 quarts of Castrol Edge 5w50 and topped off with some Farm & Fleet 5w40 because I needed about 2.25 quarts.

Just my $0.02

Just a short PSA for owners of HST riding mowers with tuff torq transmissions…

We haven’t had much rain here in eastern Iowa this year so I haven’t had to mow much. I have used the mower a few times though and the transmission behaves so much better with the fluid change. I use to run the tractor full out to avoid the surging of the transmission. Now I can start, stop and run any pedal position with no surging. It’s so much nicer and hard to believe this mower is over 20 years old!

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
That’s some ugly looking oil. I wonder if it’s from the short cycles that contribute to that. Is that interval and duration adjustable? Could you do every other week for 24 minutes? That might help burn off the moisture.

Just my $0.02
Yes, it has to be from the short cycling. After seeing this again and reading some other forums, I'll change the exercise time from weekly to monthly and hope that the electronics don't drain the battery much, and probably do one manual 15-20 minute run in the middle of the month.

Last edited:

View attachment 163295
Caramel ? 🍬

Back