Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

My latest power steering change was on my brother's bull nose F-250. It had been leaking massive quantities of fluid to the point he was adding every time he drove it. I mistakenly put in WAY too much UV dye to find the leak. What a mess! An ounce of dye turned the fluid into a baby diaper yellow color over night. I totally wasn't thinking and dumped the whole 1 ounce bottle in like I would for an engine leak not accounting for 1 or 2 pints of volume vs 5 or more quarts of engine sump capacity.

I ended up having to replace the gear box, so it was no huge deal in the end except for the clean up and having to flush the power steering pump with a few extra quarts of transmission fluid to get the dye out.

Out: standard power steering fluid
In: Valvoline DexMerc (factory fill was Type F)

Just did another (4th time) turkey baster on my recently acquired 2011 Grand Marquis. When I first got it in August with 177,xxx miles, the P/S groaned and had a slight shudder. The fluid was pretty dark...I doubt it had ever been changed. After the second change it quieted right down and operated smoothly again. This time was prolly overkill, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Out: factory?
In: SuperTech Mercon V

2001 Chevy Blazer with 104k miles (at the time of PS fluid flush. It currently has 107k miles. No leaks.

- Out: Unknown clear power steering fluid. Smelled burnt and was brown. Power steering still worked fine and had very minor whine.

- In: Valvoline Maxlife Multivehicle ATF. She steers easier and seems to make less noise now. I know GM doesn’t recommend ATF for their Saginaw PS systems, but many people use them and have zero issues. No leaks, and steering is buttery.

2001 Chevy Blazer with 104k miles (at the time of PS fluid flush. It currently has 107k miles. No leaks.

- Out: Unknown clear power steering fluid. Smelled burnt and was brown. Power steering still worked fine and had very minor whine.

- In: Valvoline Maxlife Multivehicle ATF. She steers easier and seems to make less noise now. I know GM doesn’t recommend ATF for their Saginaw PS systems, but many people use them and have zero issues. No leaks, and steering is buttery.
Atf is all I've ever used in them. Can't say it's ever been a problem.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado
Power steering pump replacement, 3 consecutive drain and fills using the return line nipple on the reservoir

Out: unknown oil, Prestone power steering fluid
In: Prestone power steering fluid

1992 Mercedes 300D 2.5 turbo, 152,020 miles
Out: MB OE power steering fluid
In: same

200 ml drain and fill

2013 Volvo C30, 60,000 mile service
Out: Original fluid
In: Pentosin CHF 202

4 drain and fills

K&J high temp neodymium magnets, 23.4 lbs of force each, one inside the reservoir, the other on the outside to secure the inner magnet.

The PS pump is electric with an integrated reservoir. $650 for the unit.

IMG_6200.jpeg

IMG_6199.jpeg

IMG_6201.jpeg

Last edited:
2011 BMW 335d. Kept doing the turkey baster method and replacing what was in it with Red Line P/S fluid. After about a quart over a month or so it didn't clean up like I wanted. Read that since I don't have active steering, it takes ATF. Drained and refilled a few quarts of Transynd 668 into it. Seems happy. No change in feel.

2011 BMW 335d. Kept doing the turkey baster method and replacing what was in it with Red Line P/S fluid. After about a quart over a month or so it didn't clean up like I wanted. Read that since I don't have active steering, it takes ATF. Drained and refilled a few quarts of Transynd 668 into it. Seems happy. No change in feel.

So strange how BMW uses ATF in the 335d while other E90 models use CHF11S

2013 Volvo C30, 60,000 mile service
Out: Original fluid
In: Pentosin CHF 202

4 drain and fills

K&J high temp neodymium magnets, 23.4 lbs of force each, one inside the reservoir, the other on the outside to secure the inner magnet.

The PS pump is electric with an integrated reservoir. $650 for the unit.

View attachment 220973

View attachment 220974

View attachment 220975
I'm fascinated that your C30 has an electric power steering pump. Our 2013 S80 has conventional power steering and a conventional reservoir. I've been planning our first PSF change and debating turkey baster vs full on transfer.

2020 Tundra with 50k miles.

Out - Original OEM fluid was only slightly dark

In - Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF

I'm fascinated that your C30 has an electric power steering pump. Our 2013 S80 has conventional power steering and a conventional reservoir. I've been planning our first PSF change and debating turkey baster vs full on transfer.
Yes. Electric pump with integrated reservoir. $650 unit. On our daughter’s next visit I plan to install a filter in the return line.

As you know the C30 is a smaller car. The engine bay is tight. AT dipstick access is tough with my big hands. The PS reservoir sits behind and below the light assembly which is easy to remove. Fortunately changing the oil and filter is a breeze. I suspect the pump is required due to the space limitations. The only such pump in all the Volvos we have owned

Our daughter loves the car. It’s perfect for her commute to the hospital on the upper west side of Manhattan from Brooklyn.

Yes. Electric pump with integrated reservoir. $650 unit. On our daughter’s next visit I plan to install a filter in the return line.

As you know the C30 is a smaller car. The engine bay is tight. AT dipstick access is tough with my big hands. The PS reservoir sits behind and below the light assembly which is easy to remove. Fortunately changing the oil and filter is a breeze. I suspect the pump is required due to the space limitations. The only such pump in all the Volvos we have owned

Our daughter loves the car. It’s perfect for her commute to the hospital on the upper west side of Manhattan from Brooklyn.
Yes, the removable headlights are a very good idea to gain access. I have to remove mine, then move the power steering reservoir into the void to gain access to the oil filter.

I don't think our S80 has an AT dipstick. From what I've read, there is a fill hole that you must remove the air intake system to get to, and it has one of those pin mechanisms in the drain plug to set fluid level. I've never done an ATF change with this set up so it is a bit intimidating. I need to get it done at some point!

So strange how BMW uses ATF in the 335d while other E90 models use CHF11S
Not only that, but it comes down to whether your car was built with Active Steering or not. For some reason if you have that option, P/S fluid is to be used.

2012 Lexus ES350, 96500 miles
Out: OEM via turkey baster method, multiple removals from reservoir, fluid was really dark
In: Valvoline Maxlife Multivehicle ATF

Back