Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

2006 Acura TSX, 199K
Sucked out reservoir and through return hose using MityVac.
Removed and cleaned out reservoir with brake cleaner.
Replaced reservoir, filled and continued to pull fluid through.
Used Triax Full Syn Honda Acura fluid.

Easy peasey. I used about a quart, I believe.

10 Chevy equinox
3.0 v6
PS pump replacement
Out: what was left of presumably factory Dex vi, fresh Dex vi added to find leak, qmi ps cleaner
In: flushed about four qts acdelco Dex vi through it
What is qmi?????

Can’t think of the last car I changed power steering fluid in heck nowadays the power steering is electric so there is no fluid just a bunch of wires lol. All of my cars except two have the good power steering still with the fluid and I have never changed it in any of them. I have done power steering flushes at the dealership I work at but haven’t done one in so long I can’t think of the last one I did.

2001 Toyota Tundra V8 P/S filled with Maxlife ATF.
Mityvac'd reservoir and topped off with Maxlife.

Daughter's car (new to her) 2011 Buick LaCrosse v6 with 130k. Manual calls for Dexron 6 ATF.
Old fluid was a thick-ish dark translucent brown and no hint of red so I suspect it was factory ACDelco Dexron 6 (no red dye). I am hoping it wasn't standard PSF, but, probably not a big deal if it was.
Siphoned out and refilled the reservoir 3 times for one quart of new with short drives and tight turns in between.
Added Amsoil SS low vis blue bottle.
She noticed a somewhat smoother response from the wheel.
We might get a chance to do this one more time before the pains of winter arrive.

Newly Acquired 2008 Nissan Titan:

Out: some sort of ATF, not bad looking actually
In: Mag 1 ATF/ 1oz LG Red

Just did 1x drain/fill, will do another at next oil change. 78,871 miles.

I normally Turkey baste, but since my son and I changed out the high pressure hose from the pump to the steering gear, and the low pressure hose from the steering gear to the cooler, we flushed the entire system by disconnecting the return line from the power steering cooler and ran it to a 1 galllon jug. We then plugged the return line tube at the pump. We filled the reservoir with AC Delco power steering fluid and started the engine. I was surprised how fast it pumped the fluid and we stopped and started a few times while I filled the reservoir. We also turned the wheel lock to lock with the engine running. Hooked up the return line, topped the power steering reservoir and we were good to go with clear PS fluid. We ran 2-1/2 quarts through the system.

1990 Dodge Ram D150
Return line flush
Out: Unknown and 4 quarts Havoline MD-3
In: Havoline MD-3

1994 GMC Sierra C1500
Return line flush
Out: Valvoline Dex/Merc and 4 quarts Havoline MD-3

1996 Dodge Ram B3500 Wagon
Pump and lines replaced, filled and return line flush
Out: Unknown and 4 quarts Havoline MD-3

2007 Honda Ridgeline
Turkey baster change
Out: Presumably original Honda fluid
In: MasterPro power steering fluid

2006 GMC Sierra 1500
Replaced both hoses, return line flush
Out: unknown, 4 quarts Valvoline Dex/Merc
In: Valvoline Dex/Merc

2019 Toyota 4Runner
Sucked out the PS reservoir. Refilled with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
I do this every oil change. Recycle the old fluid with the old oil.

Back