Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

2010 Honda Civic 1.8L 110,000mi

Out: Original Honda PSF mixed with compatible top-off fluid since it was leaking from the high pressure hose fitting and reservoir fitting. Common problem in these Hondas and all it takes is $3 orings from the dealer to fix it.
In: Honda PSF and updated seals.

A question on this topic...
2006 Nissan Pathfinder..175k on the miles...what would be the best way to drain and fill power steering fluid and what would the best type be to replace it?

Originally Posted By: dawgn86
2006 Nissan Pathfinder..175k on the miles...what would be the best way to drain and fill power steering fluid and what would the best type be to replace it?

Depends upon your facilities, tools, and comfort level. Check if there's anything in the online FSM; I suspect it will be Dexron-III for that. My G37 calls for Dexron-VI, and just before called for Dexron-III.

Did we on BITOG ever come up with a consensus on using Dex 6 or LV fluid in the PS system that normally called for a higher viscosity like Dex 3? I got just shy of 2 quarts of Amsoil LV fluid left over from my TB trans flush and I am thinking of using it its next PS fluid change. Not that it needs one.

That would be my guess and again, like in the transmissions they allowed for the fluid to shear but remain in service. I would think that the PS fluid could/would shear as well. [censored] I will be using that LV ATF for PS flushes now. We always need some dumb guinea pig to test this stuff out.

Even with the use of the thicker viscosity Amsoil ATF in my Trailblazers PS system, it still would whine on those absolute frosty Sask mornings.

2011 Ram 1500

Out- Mopar atf+4
In- Supertech atf+4

Over the span of 1-1/2 weeks and driving around in between, I siphoned the reservoir 6 times and refilled. I drink Pure leaf tea, so I used 6 empty 18.5 oz. clear bottles to transfer the reservoir fluid into. Bottle #1 was a dark reddish/brown with bottles #2-5 showing a gradual change and bottle #6 having a clean red color. I used 3 quarts of fluid doing this.

2002 Ford Taurus 193k miles.
Unknown fluid out. Was darker red so assuming ATF was used. My mom has owned it since 40k miles, mine now.
Mobil 1 Syn ATF in

Reservoir was low and got some groans on tight turns so used the turkey baster to get the rest out and refilled. Will do a few more cycles of that after putting some miles on it.

1993 Yota, 4cyl 22RE engine, 161,700 miles with original PS fluid finally flushed and replaced after 26 years. Used Mobil 1 Synthetic All Vehicle ATF (meets Dexron II specs).

Originally Posted by anndel
1993 Yota, 4cyl 22RE engine, 161,700 miles with original PS fluid finally flushed and replaced after 26 years. Used Mobil 1 Synthetic All Vehicle ATF (meets Dexron II specs).

How much of an improvement did it make? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by anndel

How much of an improvement did it make? Thanks in advance.

Little to none. There were no issues prior to the change, e.g., noise, steering studder, etc. I just changed it because I thought it was past due.

2002 Saturn SL2, 80,000 miles

Out - factory fill
In - Mobil 1 Delvac ATF, a TES 295 fluid...

Also installed a Wix 33033 filter (15 microns) on the return line...

A little stiff, but the wobble sound is gone...

Back