Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

No problem at all, get a length of clear PVC tubing (so you can see whats going on) from HD, remove the smaller diameter line from the PS reservoir and insert the end into the PVC, its going to be a tight fit but that's what you want IIRC you need 5/8 I.D.

Put the other end in a old jug and have an assistant start the engine, make sure its warm you don't want it on fast idle and let start running a little to empty the reservoir then start filling until the fluid coming out is the same color as is going in.
Turn it off, reconnect the hose and clamp and fill the system to the proper level.

Thanks very much Trav.

So you are saying to get a 5/8 ID PVC of desired length, should I make sure that car is at operating temp or no? Is there a way you can share a pic of the PS line which need to be disconnected?

I did use a syringe to extract old fluid a few months ago. But your technique is definitely attractive
smile.gif

Last edited:
Measure the O.D. of your small return hose it should be close to 5/8 15.5 MM, if it is the 5/8 I.D. tubing is correct. If its smaller then just get PVC tubing with the same or close I.D. it should be a tight fit, you don't need a clamp on the connection as its not under much pressure.
Cut a piece long enough to reach the ground in a jug and connect it to the small hose. Put a rubber stopper or plastic cap in/over the port if necessary as shown in the picture. Do not remove the big hose, that's the feed.

2010 Honda Civic LX sedan with 57,700 miles changed back during February.

Out: Presumed factory fill sucked out with a syringe

In: Honda Genuine Power Steering fluid (12 ounces).

I've done two recently -
2005 Lexus LS430, a touch over 50K
Out - fill of unknown origin, probably MOC seeing how the car was dealer serviced and back then, Hendrick's dealers were in bed with MOC before the Valvoline-Hendrick Motorsports partnership. It was too clean to be factory fill
In - M1 ATF

1998 Chevy Tahoe 2-door
Out - generic PSF
In - Prestone PSF, with a touch of Lucas ATF additive in a effort to slow down a leak. I'm not a Lucas fan, my neighbor had some on hand, I will need to replace the pump on this eventually.

I did my 2006 Lexus LS 430 and replaced with Redline synthetic Power Steering fluid... Did it 12 months ago and my power steering is smooth as silk and silent. Also used Redline in my wife's 2011 Santa Fe and it also is smooth and silent.

2009 Camry LE

117,455 miles

Out: unknown power steering fluid that did NOT look like ATF DEXRON II or III

IN: STP DEXRON II/III compatible atf

I use a turkey baster to draw out ATF. I just did this in the last week using M1 ATF in both Fords. I TB every engine oil change.

Turkey baster'ed the PSF on the Pilot. Old fluid was about 20k miles old. Replaced with Honda PSF.

Alright, bumping this thread and I have asked this previously.

For PS fluid for an 06 Honda Civic EX, can I use CHF11s power steering fluid( left from my sold Mercedes) or ATF or any PS fluid?

Since, I don't have any Honda PS on hand, or should rather stick to Honda one as a cheap insurance? Thanks for any help
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Alright, bumping this thread and I have asked this previously.

For PS fluid for an 06 Honda Civic EX, can I use CHF11s power steering fluid( left from my sold Mercedes) or ATF or any PS fluid?

Since, I don't have any Honda PS on hand, or should rather stick to Honda one as a cheap insurance? Thanks for any help
smile.gif

I would ONLY use HONDA/Acura PSF, or if OE fluid not available, I will get the aftermarket PSF that has manufacture "specifically" says it compatible with Honda/Acura on the bottle.

days ago the plastic house of my PSF filter separated, after I park the car outside in -23C. there was no traffic at all, and so I took the chance on the power steering pump and drove TSX the home. I had a quick assessment, looks like the filter housing was the issue... get some Honda PSF and a megafine from my stash, but it was that cold for many days I didn't want to do anything in leaky garage, I just pray I didn't destroy the pump before sleep every night. on the weekend it was warm enough, remove/clean up the old broken filter, install a proper filter (Megafine), jack up the front end, fill up the reservoir, start the engine, turn steering to the left/right and filling up the reservoir with Honda PSF,took a bit over 2 bottle. test drive and check for sign of leak;. Luckily the TSX didnt complain and steering still works! will drain the reservoir and fill with fresh fluid this weekend.

Last edited:
Suction PS reservoir fluid with my Mityvac extractor and refilled with Valvoline ATF synthetic fluid. Do this about two or three times a year. PS fluid always looks good.

2009 Silverado

Got 2 quarts of Maxlife PS fluid. Will suck out the reservoir once a month until the 2 quarts are used up.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
2009 Silverado

Got 2 quarts of Maxlife PS fluid. Will suck out the reservoir once a month until the 2 quarts are used up.
That'll work Muzzle. Keep PS nice and clean and outlast you.

1993 Volvo 240, GM Saginaw Type II pump
Out: Ford Mercon V ATF and Power Steering Fluid
In: same

2005 Highlander
Out: FF
In: Castrol DEX VI ATF, 3x drain and fill

2007 Cadillac CTS, 114k miles
Out: Maxlife PSF
In: Lucas universal w/ conditioners

Full flush from the return line (used 1 qt before it ran clear).

Starting the process of changing the fluid in my 03 Accord. Out, lord only knows what, smells burned and the steering has been sketchy since I inherited the car. In, NAPA Honda spec power steering fluid. I drained the tank four times so far. Next I’m going to add a magnafine filter and replace a few more times. Hopefully all of that burned gunk will be out eventually.

By the way, the steering feel has vastly improved. Started to feel awesome after the second exchange.

2006 TSX and 1998 Accord. Used O'Reilly Honda Spec for flush and Honda Spec for final fill.
Makes a nice difference; go for it.

Time for the 2001 Tundra...

Back