Post your latest oil change

2005 Ford Taurus 3.0 OHV
115,000 miles

Out: Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 with 5,500 miles on it.
In: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30
Left Fram Tough Guard filter on with 5,500 miles on it.

AF349B52-2482-4A6B-88B7-F9CDE79DD592.jpeg

Last edited:
Could not wait to try my latest yellow tag special - and do a sound test: RGT was 2.2 db louder than the Mobil 1 - 5W30 vs 0W40 - that might be the difference - but M1 SC certainly is not loud …
In at 31k - Fram XG remains …

View attachment 222803
Do they make the supercar in a 5 qt jug? What is that cost as compared to the $5 deal? Most of the M1 jugs I recall are about $26 by me at Walmart. Not sure if different flavors changes that, haven't bought any in a while.

Do they make the supercar in a 5 qt jug? What is that cost as compared to the $5 deal? Most of the M1 jugs I recall are about $26 by me at Walmart. Not sure if different flavors changes that, haven't bought any in a while.
It’s not normally sold at our Walmart - and it’s more expensive than the other Mobil 1 offerings (just under $10/quart online) …
I visit clearance aisles often - have seen other items not sold in that store

2013 Mazda 6 2.5l

I've had the shop do the changes for the entirety of my ownership of this car. I just never wanted to deal with the potential mess.
Yesterday, I hiked up my big boy underoos and did it myself. I picked up all the tools to make it easy and clean. And easy and clean it was. The shop can do this in the winter. I love my local shop, btw.
{ Kirkland oil | Napa/Napper Gold filter | cheap drain pan | old baking tray to catch drips | Rhino Ramps | small square funnel that fit perfectly over the fill hole and engine cover }

Out: Cam2 Syn from the shop.
In: Kirkland 0w20 plus 0.3 quart from leftover for 5.3 qts.
I did this exact same thing to the 2015 Mazda 5 which is my wife's car. So, pretty good timing doing these within days of each other. Bonus points in that I only needed to buy the filter as I had all the other parts.

QUESTION: should these cars have crush washers on the drain plug?
For both cars, there was nothing stuck on the pan. The bolt had something that looks like a built-in sort-of washer thing. It seems like a permanent thing, though. I didn't try to pry it off. I simply put the plug right back in. The plug threaded well and feels as if it is firm and tight in the threads. It spun on flush to the pan and simply stopped at the end. It didn't seem to turn any more when I gave it the modestly firm last tightening. Sorry, I don't have a pic.

I did this exact same thing to the 2015 Mazda 5 which is my wife's car. So, pretty good timing doing these within days of each other. Bonus points in that I only needed to buy the filter as I had all the other parts.

QUESTION: should these cars have crush washers on the drain plug?
For both cars, there was nothing stuck on the pan. The bolt had something that looks like a built-in sort-of washer thing. It seems like a permanent thing, though. I didn't try to pry it off. I simply put the plug right back in. The plug threaded well and feels as if it is firm and tight in the threads. It spun on flush to the pan and simply stopped at the end. It didn't seem to turn any more when I gave it the modestly firm last tightening. Sorry, I don't have a pic.
2015 Mazda5 does have a crush washer on the drain plug. It may just be completely crushed on the plug if it's never been changed. Crush washer part number is 99564-1400, drain plug is LFE5-10-404

20240603_144356.jpg

2008 GMC Yukon
5.3 Vortec V8
Out: unknown oil, Fram Core filter
In: Quaker State All Mileage 10w30, AcDelco PF48E filter
That holds what?..... eight quarts?
How would you charge for that? Would you add 15-20% to the bill for each additional quart added?.... since most oil change shops figure their $bill$, based on five quarts and a mid-grade filter.

How would you charge for that? Would you add 15-20% to the bill for each additional quart added?.... since most oil change shops figure their $bill$, based on five quarts and a mid-grade filter.
all LS motors (up to 2013 MY) held 6 quarts in chevy full size trucks/suvs. in 2014 with the addition of the LT engine family into full size trucks and suvs (half tons, the HD pickups retained the 6.0 LY6) they bumped sump capacity to 8 quarts.

99-13 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2 truck engines hold six quarts. I didn't charge anything. Boss's son's girlfriends vehicle and he bought the oil.

Back