Post your fossils here

All fossils are welcome!

Fossilized Sand Dollars

What is a sanddollar? It is a flat, disc-shaped sea urchin that is also related to starfish. A living sand dollar is covered in thousands of fur-like spines that allow it to locomote and burrow into the sand. Sand dollars feed through a central orifice on their flat bottom and they excrete waste through a smaller orifice near the edge of their body. They breathe through fine mesh structures that are located on top of the hollow shell and that are arranged in a pattern that resembles a flower with 5 petals. San dollars do not have a brain. but a nerve ring. They live in colonies of hundreds of individuals and are close to being endangered. The largest species reaches a diameter of about 5 inches. Sand dollars wash up on beaches after storms and when the tides are extreme. When a sand dollar dies after about 6 years its shell is left behind. The shell contains five loose jaws that because of their bird-like appearance are commonly called peace doves.

Fossilized sand dollars can wash up on the shore. In the Bay Area, they are most commonly legally found and collected after being washed out of the Merced Layer, a strata that is exposed in a bluff that runs for several miles along the coast between Daily City and San Francisco. After winter storms pound the bluff face, you can find dozens of fossilized sand dollars on the beach. Collecting in other areas is mostly prohibited. There is another area in Santa Cruz where you can find fossilized sand dollars and other fossils, including ammonites and fossilized shark teeth. Fossilization takes thousands of years, probably upward of 10,000 tears, and sand dollars are ancient creatures, having existed since the Paleocene 65 million years ago.

When my son was young we often looked and found fossilized sand dollars. We took the rocks home, split them open, ground away the rock, and polished the fossils. I understand reading this was a bit of a slog but while a picture says a thousand words a picture without words can be quite insufficient. On to the pictures!

Just to jog everyone's memory: Here are a few sanddollar shells. One is flipped upside down.

This is one of the five jaws, a so-called peace dove. Many people collect them.

This is a nodule that I recently found on the beach. It contains a fossilized sand dollar. I can tell because of the white inclusion that gives the pebble the appearance of an Oreo cookie. The sea has tumbled the nodule over who-knows-how-long and has exposed the edges of the fossil within.

This is a nodule that I began grinding. I put some water on it so that the fossil becomes more obvious. When not wet it looks just like near-featureless grey rock.

This is a san dollar me an my son ground and polished about twen years ago. It's the best fossilized specimen we have.

Here is another partial sand dollar fossil. There are two in there, back-to-back!

Last edited:
Nice.
I have some small (1/2" long) fossils of plant stems, clams and coral.

Fossils are interesting, but I never spent much time studying them.
I always believed mine were at least 350 million years old (take a minute and just think about that).
That would be 'before' the dinosaurs (or any animals) when there was just plants and simple sea life.

Edit:
I just looked it up.
I believe my fossils came from a Fossil Park called Penn Dixie.
If anyone is in the area, stop on by.

Last edited:
My Great Grandmother had a large shoebox full of trilobites wrapped up in paper towels that she and Great Grandpa found in Arizona. I sure wish I had them. She gave me one of the smaller ones but I lost it no telling how many years ago. She said they were out in the desert and found all of them almost in the exact same spot and only took the most perfect ones as they'd been out just exploring on foot. Some of them were huge. I could probably have bought a house from just selling what was in that shoebox. I haven't thought about them in 20 years.

I have no idea what happened to them, but I would bet money that my Grandfather had them and when he had an aneurysm the meth head uncle that cleaned him out probably handed them out like Halloween candy to his buddies.

most of them looked about like this one, except darker.

1716418052135.jpg

My Great Grandmother had a large shoebox full of trilobites wrapped up in paper towels that she and Great Grandpa found in Arizona. I sure wish I had them. She gave me one of the smaller ones but I lost it no telling how many years ago. She said they were out in the desert and found all of them almost in the exact same spot and only took the most perfect ones as they'd been out just exploring on foot. Some of them were huge. I could probably have bought a house from just selling what was in that shoebox. I haven't thought about them in 20 years.

I have no idea what happened to them, but I would bet money that my Grandfather had them and when he had an aneurysm the meth head uncle that cleaned him out probably handed them out like Halloween candy to his buddies.

most of them looked about like this one, except darker.

View attachment 220629
The closest living creature we have to trilobites are horseshoe crabs. Both are alien-looking.

I went back to the place where I used to find the best sand dollar fossils and shark teeth. This is the wrong time of the year. Fossils get washed out of the strata during winter storms and during extreme tides. Then you find boatloads of nodes with fossils early in the morning before the beach pirates start combing the wrack line. I went there today anyway just to have a look.

There are steps that go down to the beach

The Merced line is the fossil-rich strata that rund through this bluff. The bluff is made up of layers of shale, sand, and sandstone. The shale contains nodes, and pebbles that often contain fossils.

I located the spot where I had p[previously found many fossils

You can see some rocks and nodes in the softer material. The soft rock, shale, clay, and loam erode quickly in bad weather and the nodes fall to the beach where they may get swept out to sea and get tumbled for a long time before washing back up on shore. Then you find a worn node that has a white circumferential stripe indicating the fossil inside.

These fragments of fossils is all I could find today

Bonus pictures: The bluff used to have pillboxes and fortified lookout stations that were part of the coastal defense system. Here's a structure with a drainage pipe that's no longer functional.

These drainage pipes are perfect for hiding bodies. Ever so often they pull one out of one. Dogs enjoy digging around the clogged pipes.

I saw an egret looking for a meal

I also saw Odin's harbingers and decided it was time to leave

Back