For those looking to move to Florida, inventory chart on Florida's largest housing markets

I know there is an area of Charleston that is being gentrified. There buying older homes and retrofitting if there big enough and decent shape, but often bulldozing them and combining lots so they can build more houses on less dirt. Not sure how all that works, but I drove down there after dark one night just to see what it was really like - didn't used to be a place you would drive at night 10 years ago. The new houses are lit and occupied. Just about 100% of the older houses appear vacant at night. No cars, not lights. They obviously haven't been abandoned, there being taken care of to a degree, just no one living there.

So I have to assume that the area is being bought out by investors. When something comes up it sells immediately. In other parts of Charleston not so much. I also wonder how much is foreign investment. I know its a thing but no one will say how much. For a wealthy person from China or Japan or even Europe its difficult to buy stocks or a business in the USA, but you can buy a single family home. I wonder how many are getting there money in to US dollars this way?

I have considered buying in that area. It would be a very convenient location for us. Charleston is essentially a peninsula surrounded by some islands, so land near the city is scarce. I am hesitant, maybe I shouldn't be?
Chinese buyers have been buying properties for the past dozen years or so-it's just been under the radar. I sold my home in So Cal to Chinese buyers about 12 years ago for what was then over a half-million IN CASH.
They have yet to live in the house.......

Chinese buyers have been buying properties for the past dozen years or so-it's just been under the radar. I sold my home in So Cal to Chinese buyers about 12 years ago for what was then over a half-million IN CASH.
They have yet to live in the house.......
Yes, I believe it.

Analysis by people that should know think the CCP has printed multiple times more cash than the even the fed, but its a closed economy so they don't publish numbers - or they do but there not believable. Chinese were investing in evergrande, etc. But for a long time rich Chinese have been trying to get there money out of China before the gig is up. Better to have a empty house in California even if the price drops in half vs having it in a bank or ponzi ever Grande investment scheme in China.

Yes, I believe it.

Analysis by people that should know think the CCP has printed multiple times more cash than the even the fed, but its a closed economy so they don't publish numbers - or they do but there not believable. Chinese were investing in evergrande, etc. But for a long time rich Chinese have been trying to get there money out of China before the gig is up. Better to have a empty house in California even if the price drops in half vs having it in a bank or ponzi ever Grande investment scheme in China.
There was a time 10-5 yrs ago where Chinese buyers in the US would buy a $1M home with 50-80% down from various family members back in the mainland. These purchases were driving up prices in places like Vancouver and Toronto which forced the Canadian govt to pass legislation limiting foreign purchases.

What's wrong with a right to work state?
Anti collective bargaining. My whole 40 year career had truck, uniforms, tools, education, vacation, health insurance and xmas check. Never had to ask for a raise , change my health insurance, worry about retirement and the only thing i did is negotiate money over each position. Journeyman wage is minimum wage. Construction trade is different than manufacturing.

Anti collective bargaining. My whole 40 year career had truck, uniforms, tools, education, vacation, health insurance and xmas check. Never had to ask for a raise , change my health insurance, worry about retirement and the only thing i did is negotiate money over each position. Journeyman wage is minimum wage. Construction trade is different than manufacturing.
How exactly does that have anything to do with right to work states? Unions can and do form in right to work states. It simply gives the individual the right to choose.

Me too! But we were never in a union. I suppose it has more to do with the industry you work in, and the amount of "cost savings" they need to implement.
Also 401k, 100% match, defined benefit plan, as well as retiree benefits.
Although, once in 30 years, we did not get an annual wage increase, when the union shops did.

How exactly does that have anything to do with right to work states? Unions can and do form in right to work states. It simply gives the individual the right to choose.
Guess we just have a difference of opinion. Construction is total different than manufacturing. Construction benefits, health insurance , retirement, vacation, training and my local union has their own health center. Manufacturing all your benefits come from the company. By using union resources and protections. You walk into a restaurant order a steak and walk out not paying a dime.

Me too! But we were never in a union. I suppose it has more to do with the industry you work in, and the amount of "cost savings" they need to implement.
Also 401k, 100% match, defined benefit plan, as well as retiree benefits.
Although, once in 30 years, we did not get an annual wage increase, when the union shops did.

I’m non union employee and get a pension, voluntary pension, 401K and 10 weeks of PTO.

Some regular type jobs don’t need a union…... trades, manufacturing, high skill jobs need a union.

With today’s workplace conditions I would probably choose to join a union.

Last edited:
Guess we just have a difference of opinion. Construction is total different than manufacturing. Construction benefits, health insurance , retirement, vacation, training and my local union has their own health center. Manufacturing all your benefits come from the company. By using union resources and protections. You walk into a restaurant order a steak and walk out not paying a dime.
You seem to miss the point. It has nothing to do with Unions at all. You seem to imply Unions are not allowed in right to work states which is factually incorrect.

Your complaint was you would never go to a right to work state?

I never mentioned my opinion on Unions at all.

Back