Post some of your favorite Am radio stations.. present and past

Thats it!!! I been trying to recall the name of it. BEAKER STREET!!! While in high school in the early 70s we used to drive around on Friday nites and search the radio dial until we stumbled across this off beat - almost "underground" type of rock radio station called Beaker Street. I always assumed that staion , playing that kind of music was being shot across the USA from San Francisco or maybe even NY, NY. Now that you refreshed my memories and I have that name again (could not recall) Beaker Street, I looked it up and there is much info about it. It was a lot more famous and popular than we realized. That station is how & where we got exposed to all sorts of 70s and even older 60s music we would not have known of.

Also know as "The Mighty Ten Ninty"

I really enjoy AM radio. Traveling all over the country, I always turn my rental car radio to AM band and sample the local stations. Hoping BITOG members will post their favorite current AM radio stations. Feel free to post Am stations that are also gone/ past. Not looking for stations that are part of some big conglomerate, prefer independent radio stations.

My favorite current AM station is AM 660- the Voice of the Navajo nation. This station, can be heard throughout the Western USA at night. This is a super example of a station that plays what is wants. Best mix of country music I have ever hear. Many songs and artists I have never heard of. They seem not to be given a limit of who or what the must play. KTNN is a Navajo language AM radio station broadcasting on 660 AM from Window Rock, Arizona, the seat of the government of the Navajo Nation. It broadcasts Navajo tribal music and audio from Navajo ceremonial dances and Native American music, as well as country music and bluegrass in English.

AM 1290 KWFS am OUT OF Wichita Falls, TX has a great local AM radio show, Mike Hendren (before syndicated shows start). Worth listening to on-line.

KXXX Am Radio AM 790 is a radio station broadcasting a farm radio format. Licensed to Colby, Kansas, United States, the station serves the tri-State region of Northwest Kansas, Northeast Colorado and Southwest Nebraska. This station has a good mix of country Klassics and news.

Many years ago, I could catch CKLW out of Windsor, ONT at night. It played a fun mix of pop and oldies. It is now a news talk station :(.
I absolutely love KTNN. I look for it every time I'm out at night.

I really enjoy AM radio. Traveling all over the country, I always turn my rental car radio to AM band and sample the local stations. Hoping BITOG members will post their favorite current AM radio stations. Feel free to post Am stations that are also gone/ past. Not looking for stations that are part of some big conglomerate, prefer independent radio stations.

My favorite current AM station is AM 660- the Voice of the Navajo nation. This station, can be heard throughout the Western USA at night. This is a super example of a station that plays what is wants. Best mix of country music I have ever hear. Many songs and artists I have never heard of. They seem not to be given a limit of who or what the must play. KTNN is a Navajo language AM radio station broadcasting on 660 AM from Window Rock, Arizona, the seat of the government of the Navajo Nation. It broadcasts Navajo tribal music and audio from Navajo ceremonial dances and Native American music, as well as country music and bluegrass in English.

AM 1290 KWFS am OUT OF Wichita Falls, TX has a great local AM radio show, Mike Hendren (before syndicated shows start). Worth listening to on-line.

KXXX Am Radio AM 790 is a radio station broadcasting a farm radio format. Licensed to Colby, Kansas, United States, the station serves the tri-State region of Northwest Kansas, Northeast Colorado and Southwest Nebraska. This station has a good mix of country Klassics and news.

Many years ago, I could catch CKLW out of Windsor, ONT at night. It played a fun mix of pop and oldies. It is now a news talk station :(.
CKLW warranted a story in the Canadian Magazine way back when. The magazine was printed on pulp and distributed with the Saturday paper. There was also the competing Weekend magazine, typically distributed by the rival newspaper. As the market shrank, they merged and became Today Magazine, and then folded in 1981.

But I digress - the CKLW story focused on how this 50,000 W Canadian station had this huge audience across the river in Detroit. A lot of American listeners were probably introduced to Edward Bear, Gary & Dave, Charity Brown, Lighthouse, Gordon Lightfoot, etc. by CKLW.

Whatever I can get Dave Ramsey or EIB radio 📻. Actually I enjoy AM over FM radio for stuff like Armstrong and Getty or Mark Levin. FM music for relaxing drive, AM to learn something and was where I first heard Click and Clak on CarTalk Saturday morning.

From long ago when I was in high school in the late 1970s: WVAB, Virginia Beach, 1550 AM, long defunct after a series of ownership changes. It played virtually anything that had been a hit going back to the mid–1950s, and I heard songs on that station I haven't heard anywhere else since.

Reactions: GON
And right across the water from Detroit:
View attachment 86183
Love It! Is that still called a “Skip card”?

Years ago in the early morning hours, I picked up an AM station out of Florida (I’m on Long Island). I emailed the station with a time verification and what was being Broadcast (an advertisement) at the time. I received a nice reply from the station manager Thanking me!

810 WGY radio, Schenectady, NY.

I listen mainly when I remember my Grandfather.. He used to work there as the Lead Technician who was responsible for every single engineering operation there.

Great day to remember him, he became a father to me.. Positive influence for my life!

When I'm driving I like to scan through the channels and see if I can find "Somewhere in time", replays of Art Bell episodes.

• Love
Reactions: GON
I digress a bit, but the great Danny Finkleman used to host a nationwide rock & roll oldies radio show Saturday evenings.

In between Motown and DooWop, he used to pontificate on a variety of subjects. He said that we had lost something with our big-screen TVs with umpteen channels. He maintained that the best way to catch a ball game was to be a kid listening to a crystal radio at night, with exotic AM stations from Chicago (WLS?) and St Louis drifting in and out as the ionosphere permitted.

I think he was onto something.

WJR 760 out of Detroit .Up to about 1995 it was a great station . Spectacular hosts all day long , doing interviews with all kind of people in the know .
The Lone Ranger started on WJR . Now its just one long commercial with junk in-between . Weekends is all infomercials .
WJR.... The great voice of the great lakes....

Back