The demise of AM radio

I fi
Not the subject Chris was responding to there….

I can get am radio 700 from Cincinnati Ohio and I’m in southeast Va.

Satellite radio was ok when I had it. But nothing that spectacular about it either.
I find bb those who don't appreciate SAT radio almost always live East of the Mississippi. Here in the great West you can be hours ( yes hours) without a cellphone or radio signal of any kind. Very common in Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Nevada ,New Mexico, etc. That's Where SAT radio shines.

Last time i needed to unhook myself from Sirius I told them the owner of the account had died from Covid (me) and I was his brother wrapping up the estate.
P5dKpw.jpg

"Well, you just roll those old bones over here and we'll cancel your contract. That's Sirius policy, don't you know!"

X2

The audio of satellite radio sounds absolutely terrible IMO. If it was “free” that’s one thing, but it’s just above AM radio in terms of audio quality and it’s a monthly/ yearly subscription.
My 2013 Jeep sounds horrible ... my 2022 Yukon sounds just fine. Not sure why the difference.

My 2013 Jeep sounds horrible ... my 2022 Yukon sounds just fine. Not sure why the difference.
My 2011 Durango was the same way, despite having the “premium” Alpine system. The cars before and after the Durango, a 2011 Kia Forte Koup and a 2016 Chrysler 300S, both sounded great with SiriusXM, at worst I’d place it on par with a crystal clear FM signal. The Kia didn’t have a branded stereo, the 300 had Beats by Dre.

I think the audio codecs they use are to blame, but I was very disappointed going from a mid spec Forte Koup to a top of the line fully loaded Durango Citadel only to have my at the time favorite way of listening to music be that awful in comparison. Ended up streaming SiriusXM through my phone via aux jack because the Bluetooth was equally terrible on the Durango… again crystal clear in both the Forte and 300.

My 2011 Durango was the same way, despite having the “premium” Alpine system. The cars before and after the Durango, a 2011 Kia Forte Koup and a 2016 Chrysler 300S, both sounded great with SiriusXM, at worst I’d place it on par with a crystal clear FM signal. The Kia didn’t have a branded stereo, the 300 had Beats by Dre.

I think the audio codecs they use are to blame, but I was very disappointed going from a mid spec Forte Koup to a top of the line fully loaded Durango Citadel only to have my at the time favorite way of listening to music be that awful in comparison. Ended up streaming SiriusXM through my phone via aux jack because the Bluetooth was equally terrible on the Durango… again crystal clear in both the Forte and 300.
Good to know I'm not the only one. Mine is a "premium" system as well with the subwoofer. Must be that era of Chrysler quality issue.

Come to think of it, the aftermarket reciever I had around 2007 had good quality sound too.

I am surprised that the automakers are allowed to leave AM bands off of their radios. Isn't the Civil Defense system set up to broadcast only on the AM band, probably for reasons of broad coverage ?

Precisely this. In addition, there are areas of the country where FM reception is not readily available or optimal.

When I was driving long haul before the days of Sirius/XM, I would listen to Coast to Coast AM on WRVA in Richmond, VA. The signal at night would travel a long way.

Looks like FORD changed its mind on AM Radio....They are going to keep it...

The decided they didn't need another Governmental cramdown.
AM radio is about the only thing there has been bipartisan agreement on in a long time.

And SAT radio works just about any where.

Yet, many people don't want it, desire it, or care to pay a monthly fee for it.
Yet AM radio is readily accessible, free, and is the foundation for the EBS.
For those that don't like it, there is always the on/off switch.
They can feel free to use it.

The "AM signals never stop" is nonsense. Everything will gradually reduce power the further they travel and gradually the signals would reduce to below noise level, practically useless. It is like saying everything decay with a half-life and will never completely be gone, but in practice when it reaches background noise it is as good as gone.

You can always buy an AM radio and connect to a Bluetooth device on Amazon and keep on playing.

Last edited:
The "AM signals never stop" is nonsense. Everything will gradually reduce power the further they travel and gradually the signals would reduce to below noise level, practically useless. It is like saying everything decay with a half-life and will never completely be gone, but in practice when it reaches background noise it is as good as gone.

You can always buy an AM radio and connect to a Bluetooth device on Amazon and keep on playing.
You can get an am signal pretty far. I can tune in Chicago, Lexington, Quebec, etc on am from the home and car.

I actually lke listening to music over am. Especially oldies. There used to be a great am station from Idaho that I really enjoyed. Not sure if it’s still operating.

Reactions: GON
Yet, many people don't want it, desire it, or care to pay a monthly fee for it.
Yet AM radio is readily accessible, free, and is the foundation for the EBS.
For those that don't like it, there is always the on/off switch.
They can feel free to use it.
And the music programming on AM generally sucks. Yea- there maybe some regional selection, but generally your top rated stations are on FM. I would expect the guys who run all over town for cheap Motor oil would not want to spring for $6.00/ month for SAT radio. No news there.

And the music programming on AM generally sucks. Yea- there maybe some regional selection, but generally your top rated stations are on FM. I would expect the guys who run all over town for cheap Motor oil would not want to spring for $6.00/ month for SAT radio. No news there.

That's fine.
You go do you.
However, that doesn't mean you get to do everyone else.

Back