The demise of AM radio

The any format claim is not true. A Major League Baseball team that I follow has sold the exclusive radio rights to an AM station. It is nice to go to a ball game and listen to the live AM radio broadcast while the game is being played - keeps you informed of the details of the game. The Streaming broadcast through the MLB app is always a half second behind. You just watched the ball clear the fence while the streaming broadcast guy is saying “and he swings….”
They will sell the rights to anybody who comes up with enough dollars. It is zero indication of who or how many is listening .

I use podcasts for talk radio these days to the point that I never looked to use the AM radio tuner. I think my VW has one, the Tesla I'm not sure but guessing it doesn't based on this thread. I used to listen to AM radio all the time about 8 years ago. I was working in cars back then and when I'd get tired of music I'd go to talk radio.

Yes lots of AM stations here locally in the Greater Seattle area. But the Car manufacturers seem to be switching over to Sirus pay for radio with a very likely kickback! I'll just sick with 770 AM KTTH
You can haggle Sirius to $3 for 3 months, then try it over and over until they give up. I got a year of service this way then finally caved and paid $60 for an entire year.

You can haggle Sirius to $3 for 3 months, then try it over and over until they give up. I got a year of service this way then finally caved and paid $60 for an entire year.
The only downside with Sirius is if you decide you no longer want to pay for it and actually ending service. They make the process so frustratingly long and try at every turn to talk you out of it with continuous offers for cheap rates. Some of my favorite shows were cancelled on there so I don't bother getting it again, but it sucks that they act so crooked if you just want to cancel service. Overall using it though was great.

Well it was free on my first year on the Duramax and then they went to $15 a month. They got my credit card number and then it went up. So it took me a month to cancel. I called and tried to cancel and they hung up on me. Finally I just went to the bank and got my Credit card changed and shut them off. Never again its been over 20 years now since I got out of that trap!

Without Coast to Coast on AM radio, I never would have known about chemtrails, recording the voices of the dead, burning your fingernail trimmings to prevent other from putting a hex on me, specific examples of alien abduction, etc. I used to get up very early to walk for exercise and that program kept me entertained every morning! So I like to have AM radio available for information (KYW out of Philly) and sports.

The only downside with Sirius is if you decide you no longer want to pay for it and actually ending service. They make the process so frustratingly long and try at every turn to talk you out of it with continuous offers for cheap rates. Some of my favorite shows were cancelled on there so I don't bother getting it again, but it sucks that they act so crooked if you just want to cancel service. Overall using it though was great.
So true. I have told Sirius that I have traded in the car and that usually works. They always try to switch it over to the next car and pass you along in the call network. Last time i needed to unhook myself from Sirius I told them the owner of the account had died from Covid (me) and I was his brother wrapping up the estate. That worked!

So true. I have told Sirius that I have traded in the car and that usually works. They always try to switch it over to the next car and pass you along in the call network. Last time i needed to unhook myself from Sirius I told them the owner of the account had died from Covid (me) and I was his brother wrapping up the estate. That worked!

Sad it takes so much! I can't think of a single service that was so hard to get shut off as Sirius.

They couldn’t quite wrap their minds around me getting rid of a car with siriusXM for a truck that doesn’t lol… they asked me no less than a dozen times if I’m absolutely sure it didn’t have satellite radio. I think they finally got it when I said it has a “90’s era radio, you know the monochromatic LCD screen with 2 lines of text?”

I’ll have to see if our 4R came with AM. I can’t remember looking.

Streaming comes in more clear IMO and the station I listen to also plays on an FM station as well.

And SAT radio works just about any where.

Not the subject Chris was responding to there….

I can get am radio 700 from Cincinnati Ohio and I’m in southeast Va.

Satellite radio was ok when I had it. But nothing that spectacular about it either.

Not the subject Chris was responding to there….

I can get am radio 700 from Cincinnati Ohio and I’m in southeast Va.

Satellite radio was ok when I had it. But nothing that spectacular about it either.
X2

The audio of satellite radio sounds absolutely terrible IMO. If it was “free” that’s one thing, but it’s just above AM radio in terms of audio quality and it’s a monthly/ yearly subscription.

Back