The demise of AM radio

I have WFAN the NYC sports radio station on my presets in the car. It's amazing how powerful their transmitter is unless they have multiple ones and I never knew.

Never listened to AM, won’t be sad to see it gone. Anytime my dad would turn it on there’s like a…. Hum(?) that drives me nuts.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
AM radio is dying... As is the audience.....
AM radio was supposedly dead in 1984 until it wasn’t.

That said (will never happen) but technically they could repurpose AM, though AMs saving grace is that you can pack channels very close together but who cares if there aren’t any channels to pack?

I always found it strange that TV was AM

That said the long frequency of AM and even FM has very little use outside radio , TV perhaps? So I don’t think it’s in much threat of repacking

Growing up my mom listened to her TV on a trusty TV radio, my thought is that TV stations could simulcast their audio into AM considering its a dead space now and nobody can get portable TVs to work on digital ATSC 1

Some tv stations back in the day had the gimmick of buying channel 6 then making sure you could hear them on fm108 (channel 6 tv overlaps just above 108)

Last edited:
Alan Funt is still alive ?
Where I live FM radio reception is almost non-existent and even when driving where it is, the programming choices are horrible.

I can pull in KFI out of Los Angeles which is a 100 year old, 50,000 watt station. They have a good assortment of talk programming plus their news and traffic reports are useful.

There is a tiny, automated low power AM station up here in the mountains that provides emergency alerts in case of road closures or forest fires and evacuation warnings and I have that saved as a favorite AM station just in case.

But the biggest issue to me with AM is that so many stations have changed to Spanish language and play music that is geared towards that audience. It therefore has no use to me.

I am surprised that the automakers are allowed to leave AM bands off of their radios. Isn't the Civil Defense system set up to broadcast only on the AM band, probably for reasons of broad coverage ?

If it actually has something to do with the vehicle being too electrically noisy to have am in it, then when the vehicle also be electrically too noisy for the FCC to allow it to exist.

If it actually has something to do with the vehicle being too electrically noisy to have am in it, then when the vehicle also be electrically too noisy for the FCC to allow it to exist.
As cell phones have gone mainstream and gotten smaller the governments view of zero EM is acceptable (1960-1990)
for children
Has changed to unlimited amounts is fine.

Stuff is noisy because the gatekeepers say there is no conclusive… you know the drill

Been listening to Coast to coast since 1990.

Can’t find a station that carries it but I remember back when I was driving to craft shows in the early AMs and getting to listen to it, fun program

Last edited:
As of last year, the median age of the AM radio listener was 57. The core group of users is getting older and passing away... Put me in the category that move on - any format I used to listen to on AM is available on FM or streaming - and that's where I get it instead - without the crappy AM signal...

As of last year, the median age of the AM radio listener was 57. The core group of users is getting older and passing away... Put me in the category that move on - any format I used to listen to on AM is available on FM or streaming - and that's where I get it instead - without the crappy AM signal...
The any format claim is not true. A Major League Baseball team that I follow has sold the exclusive radio rights to an AM station. It is nice to go to a ball game and listen to the live AM radio broadcast while the game is being played - keeps you informed of the details of the game. The Streaming broadcast through the MLB app is always a half second behind. You just watched the ball clear the fence while the streaming broadcast guy is saying “and he swings….”

Alan Funt is still alive ?
Where I live FM radio reception is almost non-existent and even when driving where it is, the programming choices are horrible.

I can pull in KFI out of Los Angeles which is a 100 year old, 50,000 watt station. They have a good assortment of talk programming plus their news and traffic reports are useful.

There is a tiny, automated low power AM station up here in the mountains that provides emergency alerts in case of road closures or forest fires and evacuation warnings and I have that saved as a favorite AM station just in case.

But the biggest issue to me with AM is that so many stations have changed to Spanish language and play music that is geared towards that audience. It therefore has no use to me.

I am surprised that the automakers are allowed to leave AM bands off of their radios. Isn't the Civil Defense system set up to broadcast only on the AM band, probably for reasons of broad coverage ?
I messed up. It was written by Peter Funt, his father was Alan Funt. Peter is still involved in the candid camera franchise that his dad created.

Local radio station once known as WPRW (for Prince William County) AM 1460 went dark/offline a few years ago. When they were WPRW they were a country station and that was prior to 1995. After 1995, the station sold and changed formats several times prior to going dark.

As of last year, the transmitter building (the studio was in the same building when it was WPRW) and towers have been torn down, probably to make way for more townhouses.

Theoretically, the AM 1460 frequency is available for a new AM radio station located elsewhere in the area.

As far as I know nobody is interested.

AM transmissions have stopped in certain parts of Europe already. Streaming is the way to go IMHO.

At least I'm old enough to remember top 40 AM radio stations. WLS in Chicago was AM top 40 till at least 1988, and I remember listening to it as a kid with a Radio Shack crystal radio kit.

The any format claim is not true. A Major League Baseball team that I follow has sold the exclusive radio rights to an AM station. It is nice to go to a ball game and listen to the live AM radio broadcast while the game is being played - keeps you informed of the details of the game. The Streaming broadcast through the MLB app is always a half second behind. You just watched the ball clear the fence while the streaming broadcast guy is saying “and he swings….”

Well, the topic as written in the original post by you was cars getting rid of of the AM frequency on their entertainment systems... A half second delay is nothing in the car. One of our video streams for the local NHL team is over a minute behind...

Back