Post some of your favorite Am radio stations.. present and past

WHB 710 in Kansas City, Mo. then flipped between that and KCMO 810 which played a softer top 40.
B208557E-44B5-41E9-9083-75DA962718F8.jpeg
D7395577-11E1-434F-9FDE-95410571885F.jpg

Mr. Norms was a famous Dodge dealership in the 60s and the 70s and sold souped up Mopars. He also was big in Drag Racing in the funny car class in the 60s and the 70s....Mr. Norms Grand Spalding Dodge was well known by drag racers back then....
Did they race at the Smokin' US 31 Dragstrip?

WLW 700 Cincinnati
WOR 710 NYC
CFZM 740 Toronto
WSB 750 Atlanta
WJR 760 Detroit
WGN 810 Schenectady NY
WHAS 840 Louisville KY
KYW 1060 Philadelphia
WSM 650 Nashville

Reactions: GON
WJR 760 out of Detroit .Up to about 1995 it was a great station . Spectacular hosts all day long , doing interviews with all kind of people in the know .
The Lone Ranger started on WJR . Now its just one long commercial with junk in-between . Weekends is all infomercials .

• Sad
WJR 760 out of Detroit .Up to about 1995 it was a great station . Spectacular hosts all day long , doing interviews with all kind of people in the know .
The Lone Ranger started on WJR . Now its just one long commercial with junk in-between . Weekends is all infomercials .
And right across the water from Detroit:
1643210739887.jpg

I remember the overnight show called night flights......The Great Voice of the Great Lakes.....WJR.

KFI out of Los Angeles has been great for at least 35 years. It has been around since the 1920's but I haven't and can't comment on the early years. It is a 50,000 watt powerhouse. Plus the only AM station that comes in clear up in the mountains where I live.

KSAN San Francisco Calif till it went country and faded out of existence.

WFSO 570AM, Pinellas Park Florida 500 watts 1969 to 1976 or so, rock+roll. The only one to listen to in its day.

1110 KFAB out of Omaha.
I’m so far away it only comes in from sundown to sun up.
The station tuning hasn’t changed since I got my C Crane radio 18 years ago

From my youth - KAAY 1090AM Little Rock, AR "Home of Beaker Street"

Today KMOX 1120 AM St. Louis, MO when I am away from my home. A christian station at 1140 AM with a transmitter, about a mile away as the crow flies, with poor frequency control wipes it out most days. Other than during sport events I can listen thru Tune-in on the web.

Charlie Douglas hosted the “Road Gang” show from WWL 870 in New Orleans starting in the early 70’s. He usually signed on around 9:00 pm and would broadcast for 7 or 8 hours. The station had to have a huge output as I have listened to the show from over a thousand miles from NO and the signal was crystal clear. It was geared toward long haul truckers. He would play requests from spouses and family members to truckers, usually by using their CB handle, as well as weather and traffic reports. I remember that one of the sponsors of the show was Matlack transport that pulled bulk tankers all over the country back in the day. I have driven many late night and early morning miles listening to Charlie Douglas‘ Road Gang show!
I had no idea that is where the "Road Gang" came from. Mu Dad used to play that station at night. When he took us on those long highway , driving vacations (pre-interstate) he would search and find that station no matter where we were.

From my youth - KAAY 1090AM Little Rock, AR "Home of Beaker Street"

Today KMOX 1120 AM St. Louis, MO when I am away from my home. A christian station at 1140 AM with a transmitter, about a mile away as the crow flies, with poor frequency control wipes it out most days. Other than during sport events I can listen thru Tune-in on the web.
Thats it!!! I been trying to recall the name of it. BEAKER STREET!!! While in high school in the early 70s we used to drive around on Friday nites and search the radio dial until we stumbled across this off beat - almost "underground" type of rock radio station called Beaker Street. I always assumed that staion , playing that kind of music was being shot across the USA from San Francisco or maybe even NY, NY. Now that you refreshed my memories and I have that name again (could not recall) Beaker Street, I looked it up and there is much info about it. It was a lot more famous and popular than we realized. That station is how & where we got exposed to all sorts of 70s and even older 60s music we would not have known of.

Back