Post some of your favorite Am radio stations.. present and past

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I really enjoy AM radio. Traveling all over the country, I always turn my rental car radio to AM band and sample the local stations. Hoping BITOG members will post their favorite current AM radio stations. Feel free to post Am stations that are also gone/ past. Not looking for stations that are part of some big conglomerate, prefer independent radio stations.

My favorite current AM station is AM 660- the Voice of the Navajo nation. This station, can be heard throughout the Western USA at night. This is a super example of a station that plays what is wants. Best mix of country music I have ever hear. Many songs and artists I have never heard of. They seem not to be given a limit of who or what the must play. KTNN is a Navajo language AM radio station broadcasting on 660 AM from Window Rock, Arizona, the seat of the government of the Navajo Nation. It broadcasts Navajo tribal music and audio from Navajo ceremonial dances and Native American music, as well as country music and bluegrass in English.

AM 1290 KWFS am OUT OF Wichita Falls, TX has a great local AM radio show, Mike Hendren (before syndicated shows start). Worth listening to on-line.

KXXX Am Radio AM 790 is a radio station broadcasting a farm radio format. Licensed to Colby, Kansas, United States, the station serves the tri-State region of Northwest Kansas, Northeast Colorado and Southwest Nebraska. This station has a good mix of country Klassics and news.

Many years ago, I could catch CKLW out of Windsor, ONT at night. It played a fun mix of pop and oldies. It is now a news talk station :(.

Years ago I too loved receiving CKLW from Detroit on my transistor radio. As I recall all the sponsors were Detroit based.
Hmmm...I guess Canada's where the "C" came from?
It was more a distance thing than a programing content thing.

Also, at the same time, CBC radio would bounce down the entire length of Lake Champlain from Montreal. Nothing like hearing news about trade relations between neighbors when you're 6 years old.

Reactions: GON
I grew up listening to KIML, a country station in Gillette, WY. I would lay awake at night as a kid, waiting for them to play Queen of Hearts by Juice Newton, or A Lesson in Leavin' by Dottie West. It's a news & info channel now.

Being from Illinois, WLS 890 Chicago is a go-to for me, and has been for decades.
WBAP 820 Dallas
Used to listen to WSB 750 Atlanta, but not since Neal Boortz retired.

Going back to late 60’s early 70’s, in eastern NC most local stations turn off at sunset. All we had were am radios in our cars. The only rock stations we could listen to was wabc,wowo,wLs in NY,Ft Wayne, Ind and Chicago. They came in strong but faded occasionally. You just switched to another. Listened to Cousin Brucie an Imus on wabc. Cool people had speakers in the rear deck. I had a VW and stole a drive in movie speaker so I had dual speakers in the front. Anybody old enough to remember this stuff?
These days the only one I know is Mojo Nixon.haha

I seldom listen to AM now but in the 60's in Carson City, NV, I was loyal to XERF and XERB. 250,000 watts of missive power starring Wolf Man Jack. These were sister Mexican stations. I can still here the Wolf Man, "A little mordita here, a little mordita there". Also , "How's your boogaloo baby!
Of course, there were Reno rock stations all AM. FM rock didn't come into being around there for nearly ten years later.

Charlie Douglas hosted the “Road Gang” show from WWL 870 in New Orleans starting in the early 70’s. He usually signed on around 9:00 pm and would broadcast for 7 or 8 hours. The station had to have a huge output as I have listened to the show from over a thousand miles from NO and the signal was crystal clear. It was geared toward long haul truckers. He would play requests from spouses and family members to truckers, usually by using their CB handle, as well as weather and traffic reports. I remember that one of the sponsors of the show was Matlack transport that pulled bulk tankers all over the country back in the day. I have driven many late night and early morning miles listening to Charlie Douglas‘ Road Gang show!

Reactions: GON
The only real AM station is KCBS (traffic and news every 10 mins), all others around me seem to be telemarketing or some religious stuff. When KCBS turn FM and we have smart phone based traffic I no longer even listen to it.

Well if you were a kid out in the middle of the boonies (like rural South Dakota) in the sixties there were three clear channel top 40 stations that fought for your attention: KOMA in OKC, KAAY in Little Rock and WLS in Chicago. Then, of course, there was the border blasting XERF in Acuna Coahuila. Clap for the Wolfman! During the day there was always KIHO,KISD, and later KELO out of Sioux Falls, KFGO (KXGO) from Fargo and KFYR out of Bismarck.

Last edited:
In the 60's, WIFE in Indianapolis.

For a long time they had a huge advertising sign along the interstate out by the airport.

It read: Welcome Home! We've been spending night and day with your WIFE!

KMOX 1120 St Louis, Voice of the Cardinals for most of my life.60's and 70's.

I still listen occasionally on the Audacy app.
KDRI (50kW) 830 out of Tuscon Az has some good Hi-Fi oldies rock music.

CFZM (50kW) 740 out of Toronto can be heard here in the Midwest.

Grew up in St. Louis listening to the Cards games on KMOX 1120.

KXOK on 630 was the real hot rock station back in the 60"s and 70's with Johnny Rabbit at the mic.

The best local stations here in this area now are KMJM 1360 (60's 70's rock), and KXEL 1540 50kW, and WMT 600 5kW for news.

Last edited:
Back