Post some of your favorite Am radio stations.. present and past

In the 60's-early 80's I used to sometimes listen to distant AM, mostly late night. WBZ talk in Boston( Larry Glick, David Brudnoy). Also oldies and top 40 from WLS and CKLW and others that somehow came through back then. There was a station in OH., maybe Cincinnati?, 13?? that had the best automotive talk show that I even listened to ( early 80's).

Our primary local AM station went down with the local newspaper in bankruptcy. The paper still lives as a very gutted shadow of itself, owned by the holding co. that was the sole bidder. Thankfully, The AM license was leased by another distant PA. station that kept the local talk shows and news. All of the larger syndicated shows, like Coast 2 Coast, science, gardening, etc. were canned and replaced with some real bottom feeder stuff that they must get for nearly nothing. Glad that it's still around. They seem to do OK with local advertisers.

700 WLW
610 WTVN (Unfortunately, CC gutted it.) Merely a shell of its former self.

KDRI (50kW) 830 out of Tuscon Az has some good Hi-Fi oldies rock music.

CFZM (50kW) 740 out of Toronto can be heard here in the Midwest.

Grew up in St. Louis listening to the Cards games on KMOX 1120.

KXOK on 630 was the real hot rock station back in the 60"s and 70's with Johnny Rabbit at the mic.

The best local stations here in this area now are KMJM 1360 (60's 70's rock), and KXEL 1540 50kW, and WMT 600 5kW for news.
Local trivia column about Johnny Rabbitt on KXOK and who played the part.

I think someone is still doing a Johnny Rabbitt show on KMOX now on Saturday nights, IIRC. Or at least were when it's not baseball season, etc.

During the late fifties WWVA Wheeling West Virginia, WLS which was spotty in mid NH. Was best at night. Now listen to WBZ which can be heard as far as North Carolina and Nova Scotia at nite along the coast.

WNEX in Macon, Georgia. The station office/building and its tower were right down the street from my house. WNEX introduced me to rock and roll in the very early 70's. I also remember picking up WLS out of Chicago at night on an old green plastic AM Mono radio I had on the nightstand next to my bed.

The only thing I remember about AM was getting a FM converter from JC Whitney so I could get FM radio stations on one of my first cars. But my dad listens to several AM stations. Reminds me of the movie Peral Harbor.

The stations with only 3 call letters are the oldest. WBT in Charlotte is one of the oldest radio stations in the U.S. having first aired in 1922. They used to announce they could be heard from Maine to Miami!

KGO 810 news talk.

That's a Cumulus station though. I remember a time when they were owned by ABC and shared a joint studio with KGO-TV. It was in a really crappy location too - right in the Tenderloin on Golden Gate. The TV station eventually moved to its current location on Front Street near the Embarcadero.

I do remember my aunt used to listen to it all the time. And once when I was in LA we could hear it pretty clearly.

I've followed a variety of local AM stations when I would listen to Cal basketball games. They would bounce from station to station because college basketball in the Bay Area wasn't necessarily that big. And one night I was trying to listen to a game on the radio (must have been Cal vs Washington) where I was about 45 miles from the transmitter and couldn't get it on my car's radio. Then I tried tuning a bit and came across a the broadcast of the same game from a radio station in Seattle. It wasn't super clear, but I could understand it, while the local station sounded like static.

When I was in highschool a pirate radio station started, in a boat anchored outside territorial waters - Radio Hauraki, being in the Hauraki Gulf. Exciting stuff. Top of the Dial. A bit of drama when a storm hit and the boat ran aground - Mayday, Mayday ! Radio Hauraki is still going, all legal and on FM, still playing rock music.

images

From the past very long ago, 1220 WGAR Cleveland, WIXY 1260 Cleveland and 800 CKLW Detroit. I miss the station jingles that were often played back in day. I was glued to my AM radio during my youth and didn't care about FM.

Present day, 1100 WTAM Cleveland and 650 WSM in Nashville.

Some may think I'm nuts but I love the sound of static from a distant thunderstorm.

Back