The demise of AM radio

That's fine.
You go do you.
However, that doesn't mean you get to do everyone else.
The truly amazing thing is that even in a thread about something totally unrelated, in this case AM radio, he was able to find a way to mock the rest of the forum.

In 10 years of driving I’ve never used AM radio once. Well except by accident for a few seconds. I’d be fine buying a car without it.

Looks like FORD changed its mind on AM Radio....They are going to keep it...
Yeap, I heard that on the news yesterday. I'm glad to hear it. I don't listen to AM much but I like having it on long trips, especially in the middle of night when I can tune in all of the long range AM stations like WLS in Chicago and WAPE in Jacksonville even when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

The SF Bay Area just lost KGO radio AM 810. Nothing much else worth listening to.

The radio station is still there, but with a format change. KGO is still their callsign. The address may not be current in their application though. What I've found is that their mailing address is the same as KNBR, which is also owned by Cumulus, but Radio License Holdings seems to be a division of Cumulus.

License Expires:12/01/2029​
Status Date:​
Facility Id:34471​
Community of License:SAN FRANCISCO, CA​
Service:AM Station​
Licensee:RADIO LICENSE HOLDINGS LLC​
Licensee Address:​
780 Johnson Ferry Road​
Suite 500​
Atlanta, GA 30342​
4049490700 [phone]​
Main Studio Address:750 Battery Street​
Suite 300​
San Francisco, CA 94111​
415-995-6800 [phone]​

They're still the official radio station for Cal football and men's basketball as well as the San Jose Earthquakes. I don't think they typically use their callsign like the old KGO, but I think say during their required station announcements.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
The "AM signals never stop" is nonsense.

You can always buy an AM radio and connect to a Bluetooth device on Amazon and keep on playing.
I've been listening to WLS from Chicago in Florida since the late 1960s. AM radio waves will travel a LONG waves if they're on a frequency that isn't over crowded. I also pick up a lot of South American stations in Florida.

The SF Bay Area just lost KGO radio AM 810. Nothing much else worth listening to.

I used to listen to Doctor Bill Wattenberg on Sunday nights as I drove home from work. Their signal was strong up and down the West coast.

Dr Wattenberg was a brilliant mind.

Pretty sure here in western WA all the AM sports stations now have an FM counterpart, sans a few oddities....

(this thread got me to switch to AM for the first time in half a decade, most of what I found is conservative talk radio, a folklore station?? and a very monotone gospel speech)

Here in metro-Atlanta we still have plenty of well listened to AM stations.

To be honest this reminds me a lot of former GM CEO Roger Smith and his penny pinching philosophy back in the 1980s.

Eliminating AM radio is a lot like eliminating rear windows that don't go down like they did on certain family sedans back in the early-1980s. Yes, some folks may never miss it. But the folks who do will be seriously ticked off by the fact that you screwed them out of something that cost them no more than a few bucks.

This decision by an executive glee club represents the worst of American business. Pinching pennies and pushing what's free off the radar, so that the parasites of our society can find a new way to squeeze consumers out of more money.

Without Coast to Coast on AM radio, I never would have known about chemtrails, recording the voices of the dead, burning your fingernail trimmings to prevent other from putting a hex on me, specific examples of alien abduction, etc. I used to get up very early to walk for exercise and that program kept me entertained every morning! So I like to have AM radio available for information (KYW out of Philly) and sports.
and that is the problem! Everyone is dumping the live format.
AM for me was Art Bell, Rush Limbaugh, and yes Alex Jones....REEEEeee BAN HAMMER!!!!
All the clear channel AM stations have been sold-reformatted. Try to find a clear channel call in show at 1am in the night?
...and as mentioned, they are simulcasting on FM.
AM is dead because corporate types do not understand it. It is all about information-talk radio. Rush Limbaugh death, has shook up AM station formats to go further left in their ideologies. Any semblance of news is propaganda, and the talk shows do NOT take calls, rather joke with the on-air personalities about pooped stained panties..... 8th grade humor on stations that HAD been fairly conservative, IN a conservative market......yeah we will see how long this last!
I have tuned out AM almost entirely, and I know why they have left the call in format. (we do not want to hear 45th Mr. T on our station)
I say F´ them.

Last edited:
AM radio is most certainly not dead. Just because the biggest channels have been consolidated by one player and therefore command by far the biggest audience, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The question is - are the automakers willing to loose a likely small percentage of auto sales for the benefit to save likely $5 bucks on every car they sell. Its a math problem.

This is a very recent article - it says there are over 4000 AM channels still. https://theweek.com/us/1023572/the-future-of-am-radio-in-the-us

Yes, some are specialized, but obviously some small percentage of the population is listening - me included. Its up to the OEM's on what they do with it.

I was not aware that any AM stations still existed.
Haven't listened to one in 30 years.
Sirius is my listening choice.

The best thing about AM are the talk programs...it's about the only media outlet left where you can hear the truth...

Back