Possible warranty issues for DIY folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the average BITOG member, we do our own oil and filter changes. I have been changing my own oil ever since I have been driving.

I realize the odds of engine problems related to lubrication are VERY remote if a quality oil and filter is used and changed at the manufacturer's intervals.

My question is IF we were to have an engine malfunction under warranty could the manufacturer say that we didn't change the oil per their recommendations because we have no proof?

Since I am a DIY oil change guy, I have no oil change receipts noting that my oil was changed on a certain date and such.

I keep a small spiral book ledger in my glove box and I write down when I do maintenance, but would that be proof enough?

My warranties expired without oil related engine damage. They still have to fix anything not oil related. The warranty work I have had they paid no attention to the oil as the issue was usually electrical or a recall. You are way ahead of me by writing something down in a book.

No. You need documentation showing receipts and oil analysis with trending in addition to your journal entries.

I was just involved with a used car situation in which there were undisclosed damages. Pictures and oil analysis tipped the balance.

Good question, I have heard some dealerships like Kia are really tough on that. I am leasing so I called the lease company and they immediately said you can do your own oil changes. They said repairs or body work had to be done by qualified individuals though. The guy even told me I did not have to keep receipts but I told him I would in the event that a warranty issue arrived I would want some proof for the dealership. I change the oil and filter the same day that I buy them.

I believe someone on here works at a dealership and maybe someone else use to run dealerships so maybe they can answer that. I know I take great care in the way I do an oil change on my vehicle as I am sure most others on here do too. I would have to believe more so than if the dealer was doing it.

Good thread, OP. I've wondered about this as well.

I've done a couple of oil changes and an ATF D/F on my new-ish car. I keep the store receipts in a maintenance notebook I've made with date, mileage, service performed and materials used. Like you said, fluid-related issues are very remote and I hope this is enough in-case of a warranty problem. Honda also has an owner's page on their website where you can keep a maintenance log. I also do this because redundancy is never a bad thing.

I've heard of some people going so far as to take pictures/record themselves doing oil changes.

Last edited:
I think it's best to also be able to show that you purchased enough oil and filters to cover the oil changes in your notebook, with the purchase receipts. Notebook should note date, mileage, and what oil/filter used.

Since I purchase my oil and filters on sale, I purchase ahead of time of its use. Never had an engine claim that required this info, but I have it on my vehicles going back to 2003.

I would figure that a trained mechanic could tell by simply pulling off a valve cover that if the oil was changed often or not.

I have seen some cars that when the valve cover was pulled there was massive amounts of black sludge caked around the valves and lifters.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I would figure that a trained mechanic could tell by simply pulling off a valve cover that if the oil was changed often or not.

I have seen some cars that when the valve cover was pulled there was massive amounts of black sludge caked around the valves and lifters.

A mechanic could not necessarily make that assessment.

Small under-designed sumps, stuck thermostats, and high temp operation can also contribute to sludge.

Since I am a DIY oil change guy, I have no oil change receipts noting that my oil was changed on a certain date and such.

I keep a small spiral book ledger in my glove box and I write down when I do maintenance, but would that be proof enough?

I keep a spiral notebook on each car with date/mileage/ work performed and receipts or proof of purchase stapled to the appropriate page.

I have been asked to present this by Toyota dealers twice in regards to warranty claims and both times they said it was more than acceptable. Actually one of the service writers bought one of my trade ins after seeing how much documentation I had.

BTW I have never had an engine issue that was not the manufacturers fault to begin with where there was a TSB or recall anyway. I use PP and factory filters and 5000 OCI so my engines are spotless well after 3x the warranty miles have elapsed.

Last edited:
case in point, toyota sludge circa 2000. if the owner could not produce oil change receipts, that person was screwed.
some pople had receipts from 3rd party (fast oil change) and they also got screwed. toyota claimed owner falsified the receipts or the shop cheated the owner and neglected to change oil. to the defense of toyota, i admit those things could easily happen.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
case in point, toyota sludge circa 2000. if the owner could not produce oil change receipts, that person was screwed.
some pople had receipts from 3rd party (fast oil change) and they also got screwed. toyota claimed owner falsified the receipts or the shop cheated the owner and neglected to change oil. to the defense of toyota, i admit those things could easily happen.

I'm sure Toyota calling people liars and cheats made those people want to go out and buy another Toyota right away!!!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
some pople had receipts from 3rd party (fast oil change) and they also got screwed.

Sounds like something a half decent lawyer could easily fix.

I'm afraid not. You would at least need receipts showing you purchased the required materials (oil, filter, ATF, plugs, etc.)

Obviously the more documentation you have the better it will be for you.

That being said the dealership informed me I would only need receipts showing purchase of oil and filter. I told them I keep a log book and write everything down they said that would be fine too. I keep the logbook and receipts.

Mazda and Subaru have websites that include an auto maintenance spreadsheet of services preformed by the dealer + the owner. This and a copy of purchases for oil and filters is all I need. Ed

I have the Toyota dealer change mine using oil and filter supplied by me.Costs me $17.06 today and they did the work and I was gone in 30 minutes from arrival. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 (Amazon 5qt jugs) and Toyota filters (also Amazon).All records accessable by any Toyota dealer in the country and they keep the records.Its worth it to me at 72 years old and 5 back operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back