Possible sludge on a gmc jimmy 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my friends GMC jimmy 4.3 that has 126k miles. He was at 5k and needed a change, so I removed a oreilly fram microguard and he said that the sump started with 5 quarts of NAPA 5-30 and a quart of MC-5-20 blend and another quart of Chevron Supreme 5-30. He said it leaks about half a quart every 1k miles.

I drained the oil, was liquid, black and when I removed the oil from the drain pan into a container I noticed some thick sludge type stuff at the bottom of the pan. There was about maybee a soda cap full of it. Was super thick almost like fresh silicone out of a tube.

Is this sludge?

I'm assuming he didn't offer up, say, that he accidentally used a quart of grease, instead of the Chevron?

Generally when things come out of your oil sump in a form other than a smooth flowing river of wonderfully dark oil, it's time for an oil analysis.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I changed the oil in my friends GMC jimmy 4.3 that has 126k miles. He was at 5k and needed a change, so I removed a oreilly fram microguard and he said that the sump started with 5 quarts of NAPA 5-30 and a quart of MC-5-20 blend and another quart of Chevron Supreme 5-30. He said it leaks about half a quart every 1k miles.

I drained the oil, was liquid, black and when I removed the oil from the drain pan into a container I noticed some thick sludge type stuff at the bottom of the pan. There was about maybee a soda cap full of it. Was super thick almost like fresh silicone out of a tube.

Is this sludge?

Sounds more like Goo. I hope his Head Gasket is ok...
27.gif

Did he happen to use Mos2 Moly by any chance? Or OD on Lucas? Maybe? Lucas is that color, and Bubbles come out of it, since its just Soap and Thick ?????
thumbsup2.gif

That sounds like sludge. Although the wonderful thing about it is that if you're seeing some actually flow out the oil pan (and as you can guess from its silicone like thickness, flow isn't something it does well), you can bet there is plenty more where that came from.

In its worst form it looks like crusted, black baked on enamel. Time then to break out the HDEO, or consider an MMO cocktail and some short cleaning OCIs.

Using an engine flushing product to try and remove it all at once is a bad idea imho.

-Spyder

So he overfilled it off the bat (I think his takes 4.5 quarts and the 4.3l is pretty picky about being overfilled)

Intake gasket problems? Get a UOA and see where it is at.

Bill

i'll let him know to get a analysis done next time he changes the oil.

No he didnt over fill it, started with 5 quarts of NAPA, he used the bigger filter. I do the same with my 4.3. And the other oils were make up over the OCI.

for the price it takes to do a UOA you could probably do 2-3 short OCI's to clean it out instead of being told the insoluble count it off the charts.

do some short OCI's with some HDEO, rotella T5 would be good, and run a quart of MMO in each to speed things up and clean better.

i'll let him know to get a analysis done next time he changes the oil.

No he didnt over fill it, started with 5 quarts of NAPA, he used the bigger filter. I do the same with my 4.3. And the other oils were make up over the OCI.

I also use the PF52 and use no where near 5 quarts to the top of the full line on the dipstick.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
for the price it takes to do a UOA you could probably do 2-3 short OCI's to clean it out instead of being told the insoluble count it off the charts.

do some short OCI's with some HDEO, rotella T5 would be good, and run a quart of MMO in each to speed things up and clean better.

the analysis would be to see if coolant is getting into the oil.

UOA is a good idea, or have the system pressure tested you'll find out instantly if there is a problem with the cooling system, and a bad HG if that's the cause of the goo. Hopefully the person doesn't need a HG, if he doesn't a few 3000 mile OCI's with MMO should clean things up. The good news is the goop is in a heavy liquid form and some poured out.

something has to be up, i saw all his receipts and filter boxes for oil changes, it looks like he changes it every 4-5k miles sine he got it new.

something has to be up, i saw all his receipts and filter boxes for oil changes, it looks like he changes it every 4-5k miles sine he got it new.

I think so too. Those are good engines, and if cared for problem free for the most part. Could be a slow coolant leak into the oil, over a fairly long period of time. Easy enough to find out, with a UOA or pressure tester.

what yr is it. the 96-02 have a known lower intake manifold gasket problem(been there not fun). I would be looking for dis appearing coolant.
Bill is right it takes 4.5 qts w/filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back