Possible FRAUD while getting inspection

I read that story, and I'm not 100% sure what to think. If you've ever had a pad come off its backing you'll know what I mean. It causes a sudden loss of braking, until the metal backer hits the rotor of course. I've had it happen on a Grand Cherokee, thank God I was just backing out of a parking space. Can't imagine what might have happened if it was a panic stop instead!
If I still lived in Pennsylvania, with all the road salt, I'd absolutely LOVE to have an inspector or mechanic that cared enough about my safety to check the pads for corrosion.
Using a screwdriver seems as simple as any method.

I'm giving the mechanics a PASS on this one.

My first reaction is "typical stealership." That's how they got their reputation. AFTER reading the article and thinking a little bit, I expected the dealer to defend their techs, this is Captain Obvious; however, what I'd like to see is photographs of the brake pads in question. Not that I don't trust anyone, I just don't trust anyone. The State Police, the "dealership," the technicians, the car owner, etc. To me, no photographs equals no conclusive evidence of anything.
Oh, and "tales" like this do not happen to DIY. I care more than they do about my wife and kids and what happens when they hit the brake pedal.

My first reaction is "typical stealership." That's how they got their reputation. AFTER reading the article and thinking a little bit, I expected the dealer to defend their techs, this is Captain Obvious; however, what I'd like to see is photographs of the brake pads in question. Not that I don't trust anyone, I just don't trust anyone. The State Police, the "dealership," the technicians, the car owner, etc. To me, no photographs equals no conclusive evidence of anything.
Oh, and "tales" like this do not happen to DIY. I care more than they do about my wife and kids and what happens when they hit the brake pedal.
So have you ever checked the brake pads to see if they were firmly attached to the metal backer?
Just being honest here. I never have, before or even after my incident. Glad someone thinks of it though.

So have you ever checked the brake pads to see if they were firmly attached to the metal backer?
Just being honest here. I never have, before or even after my incident. Glad someone thinks of it though.
Just being honest here; no malice intended. I'm quoting you "It causes a sudden loss of braking, until the metal backer hits the rotor of course." Again sir, without photos, I refuse to attempt to draw conclusions. For the sake of friendly conversation, I agree there is a small chance of you being correct. Again, I repeat; no photos, no conclusions.

I imagine brake pads are one item not included under a warranty.
So that's where they go to generate customer billable labor on a covered car.
They attack pads worth all of $3.75/each to generate $268. in labor.
Rob Burgundy Voice: 'Stay Classy PA.!' : )

Every service i did as a mechanic, also checked the piston moved freely, the pads weren't stuck from rust and the sliders were free, and of course wear. before I got to that I had already checked for play in the bearings and suspension and steeringn, and had a feel for how tight everything was as I drove the car into the bay.

It adds seconds per wheel to the service once you get the hang of it. well not even that as I did it as oil was draining.

Every service i did as a mechanic, also checked the piston moved freely, the pads weren't stuck from rust and the sliders were free, and of course wear. before I got to that I had already checked for play in the bearings and suspension and steeringn, and had a feel for how tight everything was as I drove the car into the bay.

It adds seconds per wheel to the service once you get the hang of it. well not even that as I did it as oil was draining.
That's just normal stuff. Not what were discussing here.

In the salt zone low mileage, extended parked vehicles are prone to backing plate rust and lining pop off so it's a look at item.
In PA ''inspection'' garages will fail you with any rust holes anywhere to generate work. Unlike neighboring NY that has pickups with flapping bed sides on the road. Talk about extreme opposites.

My wife's last subaru was making a grinding noise. Her inside DS rear pad separated and the backing plate was jammed between the bracket and the rotor. Caliper pins floated fine. AZ Duralast mid-grade pads. Pad ear bind may have jammed the pad.

Back in the 70's I was accused of damaging a customers car that I was doing a safety inspection on in Chelmsford, MA at my Arco station. Old rusty early 60's Bel Air, full of people. Jacked up PS front and the wheel assembly fell towards me. Upper ball joint broken.

Guy got mad, said, "There was nothing wrong when I brought it in!" He back out of the service bay and took off down the road. made it 30 feet down the state highway and the wheel fell out.
Luckily they didn't come back and knife me,

I've had brakes delaminate a couple of times.

If they're drums, the material kicks around and acts wierd, but not as weird as you'd think.

But if they're discs, the friction material will take off for greener pastures and the pedal will sink to the floor, but come back after several rapid pumpings only to be obviously noisy.

So if these are disc brakes and the tech found them delaminating yet sitting there, I call hooey.

PS PA makes the mechanic pull one front and one rear wheel and drum every inspection, then the other side the following year.

Back