Texas about to do away with auto inspections

They should only eliminate the paper tags and keep the inspections. Drove 4 miles round trip yesterday 5pm to pick up dinner. Saw 1 bad lights going and 2 bad lights coming home. We need annual inspections to get things like that caught and fixed.

They should only eliminate the paper tags and keep the inspections. Drove 4 miles round trip yesterday 5pm to pick up dinner. Saw 1 bad lights going and 2 bad lights coming home.

We need annual inspections to get things like that caught and fixed.
No, you need cops that are doing their jobs. If you can see bad lights then so could they. Also when they stop cars like that, they often find other issues such as no driver's licensees, no insurance, drunk drivers, drugs, etc.

A once a year vehicle test is not a substitute for police being on the road and looking at cars 365 days per year.

No, you need cops that are doing their jobs. If you can see bad lights then so could they. Also when they stop cars like that, they often find other issues such as no driver's licensees, no insurance, drunk drivers, drugs, etc.

A once a year vehicle test is not a substitute for police being on the road and looking at cars 365 days per year.
Yes, those also. But we need to keep inspections and cut out whatever paper tag fraud is going on.

I'm curious since this is right up your alley so to speak. Tinted windows are a big thing and CA regulates how dark they can be but of course there are those who think those regs don't apply to them. So I saw two cars today with the side front windows tinted as dark as the side back windows which meant you couldn't see the driver at all. If you pulled over a car like that for a reason how would you approach it from ether side being unable to see what a driver or passenger might be doing behind the tint?

Front tinted windows are not that much of a concern to me, as most people in Texas already have blacked out rear windows, so my approach to the car (aside from what I can see in the side view mirror) is already blind for most of my walk up. Most drivers roll their windows down on my approach and verbal instructions to roll the windows down cover most others. If they stay up, then I use the camera lens trick and my flashlights, but by that point the encounter has likely already escalated if I'm not gaining verbal compliance.

I personally do not write tint tickets unless I observe illegal front windshield tint, as this negatively contributes to night time driving safety. I'm talking about tint daker than 70% on the windshield (not AS1 lines), I'm 100% ok and for people putting UV/IR tint on their windshields and have done so on my personal cars as Texas allows windshield tint that does not increase darkness or impart a color.

Of course I will readily acknowledge that no tint at all makes things the easiest on a traffic stop, but despite this my own personal vehicles are tinted to the legal maximum. Most of us simply never get pulled over to forgo the benefits tint provides to personal safety, health, and overall vehicle enjoyment.

Front tinted windows are not that much of a concern to me, as most people in Texas already have blacked out rear windows, so my approach to the car (aside from what I can see in the side view mirror) is already blind for most of my walk up. Most drivers roll their windows down on my approach and verbal instructions to roll the windows down cover most others. If they stay up, then I use the camera lens trick and my flashlights, but by that point the encounter has likely already escalated if I'm not gaining verbal compliance.

I personally do not write tint tickets unless I observe illegal front windshield tint, as this negatively contributes to night time driving safety. I'm talking about tint daker than 70% on the windshield (not AS1 lines), I'm 100% ok and for people putting UV/IR tint on their windshields and have done so on my personal cars as Texas allows windshield tint that does not increase darkness or impart a color.

Of course I will readily acknowledge that no tint at all makes things the easiest on a traffic stop, but despite this my own personal vehicles are tinted to the legal maximum. Most of us simply never get pulled over to forgo the benefits tint provides to personal safety, health, and overall vehicle enjoyment.

I had my pickup side windows tinted years ago.
Had a professional shop do it, told them as dark as the law here allows.
About a year later I was stopped at a driver road block check, lady cop asked me about my window tint.
I said that I had a company called Trim Line do it, and its legal.
She politely said okay thanks, and sent me on my way.

Inspections? We don't need no stinkin inspections. As seen one parking space over.
IMG_20230605_175050344.jpg

Inspections? We don't need no stinkin inspections. As seen one parking space over.
View attachment 159655
there's still wear bars on the tire, it's not worn out until the wear bars are gone

phoenix has emissions but no safety inspections. there's a few accidents from bald tires/people who drive too fast when it rains hard, but 10 months of the year bald tires grip fine. I've never seen an accident caused by mechanical faliure, most of the accidents or near misses I've seen are people who aren't aware of their surroundings and randomly change lanes without checking their blind spot. somewhere with rust I'd want inspections though.

Looks like TX is working on it:

I've been waiting for this....People buying paper plates from dealers is beyond out of control. I know they cracked down on the dealers & it's helped alot.....But that thumb will only apply pressure so long, Then it's right back to business as usual.

Question is.....How is the state going issue temporary plates for new/used vehicle purchases?

there's still wear bars on the tire, it's not worn out until the wear bars are gone

phoenix has emissions but no safety inspections. there's a few accidents from bald tires/people who drive too fast when it rains hard, but 10 months of the year bald tires grip fine. I've never seen an accident caused by mechanical faliure, most of the accidents or near misses I've seen are people who aren't aware of their surroundings and randomly change lanes without checking their blind spot. somewhere with rust I'd want inspections though.

Look at the inside edge of the tire....Completely bald. Once it reaches the wear bars.....It's worn out. That tire been riding the wear bars for a long time!

I'm a cop in Texas and I support doing away with inspections. Inspections serve little purpose anymore but to inconvenience the law abiding and generate a modicum of income for the state. Inspections, based on my anecdotal opinion, do not improve roadway safety.

The real issue is rampant fictitious 30 day permits, which is what people acquire to avoid having a derelict vehicle inspected. My county of 110,000, with a commuter transient population closer to 150,000, has thousands of fictitious 30 day permits roaming the roads at any given time. With 6-10 Deputies on duty and two additional state troopers, there simply isn't enough time in the day to do anything about it on the street level. The state is trying ways to go after the plate generators online, but its a loosing battle. Lets not even talk about unlicensed drivers...

So in summary, the inspection is pointless as the truly dangerous vehicles would never be inspected anyways.
So while this would be strictly anecdotal you also have experience: how many accidents do you believe or suspect you've encountered where mechanical failure due to poor maintenance was the primary cause?

Also I think a very important next question is: of those, how many other than the occupants of the offending vehicle were injured?

I've lived in CO all my life with no inspections and can't say I recall ever knowing somebody or knowing-somebody-who-knows-somebody who was injured in an accident due to mechanical failure....and even then you'd have to know the failure could have likely been prevented by annual inspections

So while this would be strictly anecdotal you also have experience: how many accidents do you believe or suspect you've encountered where mechanical failure due to poor maintenance was the primary cause?

Also I think a very important next question is: of those, how many other than the occupants of the offending vehicle were injured?

I've lived in CO all my life with no inspections and can't say I recall ever knowing somebody or knowing-somebody-who-knows-somebody who was injured in an accident due to mechanical failure....and even then you'd have to know the failure could have likely been prevented by annual inspections

X2. Even the bald tire that WylieCoyote posted a picture of can be easily spotted by ANYONE. You don't need a annual State Inspection to find defects like that.

I've been waiting for this....People buying paper plates from dealers is beyond out of control. I know they cracked down on the dealers & it's helped alot.....But that thumb will only apply pressure so long, Then it's right back to business as usual.

Question is.....How is the state going issue temporary plates for new/used vehicle purchases?
The South Carolina DMV will issue a temporary tag - with a traceable number - for $5.00 when your registration papers are turned in. The number is in their database, and the tag is on some cardboard like stuff - think printed cereal box. Its good for 45 days and looks just like a regular plate with 6 alpha numeric.

However for some reason I guess you don't really need it - since I see plenty of paper tags around still. When we bought our new car thats what we got. I guess the legit dealers would prefer you don't get hassled and take the time to get them.

Here's an idea. If you have an illegitimate/illegal tag on your vehicle upon conviction you forfeit your vehicle and pay all court and legal costs. And tags are checked for validity during the mandatory annual safety inspection that remains in force.

I haven't gone through this entire thread to confirm that I'm not being redundant, but even if this passes we will still have to bring our cars to an inspection location annually for the OBDII hookup and gas cap tests (if you live in one of the 17 most populous counties). Also, the amount the inspection cost is reduced will be made up in the registration fee. I suppose if you don't live in one of the big metro areas you would reap the convenience benefit, but for the majority of the state's population the inconvenience will still be present.

The South Carolina DMV will issue a temporary tag - with a traceable number - for $5.00 when your registration papers are turned in. The number is in their database, and the tag is on some cardboard like stuff - think printed cereal box. Its good for 45 days and looks just like a regular plate with 6 alpha numeric.

However for some reason I guess you don't really need it - since I see plenty of paper tags around still. When we bought our new car thats what we got. I guess the legit dealers would prefer you don't get hassled and take the time to get them.
Ontario DMV issues you your license plate but with a "T" sticker to denote the plate is a 30 day temporary. Any cop whose system automatically runs that plate will know how much of the 30 days is left or if it's expired.

X2. Even the bald tire that WylieCoyote posted a picture of can be easily spotted by ANYONE. You don't need a annual State Inspection to find defects like that.
We need the inspections to find problems like this that clueless owners (most people) don't look-for or care-about and force them to take care of the problem. There are enough owners who would just continue driving these vehicles with worn-out tires (etc) until the tire blows out or the vehicle hydroplanes in the rain and causes a wreck. I don't want to be on the road with these vehicles, do you?

Here's an idea. If you have an illegitimate/illegal tag on your vehicle upon conviction you forfeit your vehicle and pay all court and legal costs. And tags are checked for validity during the mandatory annual safety inspection that remains in force.

Not much different way of thinking than:
“If you say something negative about the party, off to the gulag you go”

Back