Porsche GT3 /RS A40 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The M1 Racing oils are an oddball formulation on paper. They specifically state they use low viscosity base oils. The HT/HS of the 0w50 is only 3.9, by design. I say by design because it's very easy to make a shear stable oil. It's not a hard thing to formulate. These oils are likely designed this way for more HP where many are looking for any gains they can get.

Last edited:
Only track oils/super quick OCI (less than 5,000km) oils I would use for my super cars would be:

HPL, Redline (non black bottles) and Motul 300v.

After each track day I would go home (or at the track if possible) drain and refill the oil with a new filter.

The proof is here you can hit the track and daily for a bit etc. But, with those cars, money shouldn’t really be an object. Grand scheme of things, oil is cheap compared to a blown motor etc. Also, don’t just focus on the fluid in the motor. Use quality coolant, brake/clutch fluid, trans fluid, diff fluid etc.
After each track day? Do you actually have UOA that justify that? Or it just “makes sense?”

After each track day? Do you actually have UOA that justify that? Or it just “makes sense?”
Its a pretty common thing. I change every 2 or so. I know the vette guys in our club change every run. Probably overkill, but it doesn't hurt anything

Its a pretty common thing. I change every 2 or so. I know the vette guys in our club change every run. Probably overkill, but it doesn't hurt anything
We have here UOA of Motul 0W40 and M1 0W40 on Corvette and 5k OCI that are stellar.
I mean, I know people who change oil after each track day, but that does not mean it is necessary.
I cannot remember where those UOA are. Someone can dig out.

Edit: Here you go:

We have here UOA of Motul 0W40 and M1 0W40 on Corvette and 5k OCI that are stellar.
I mean, I know people who change oil after each track day, but that does not mean it is necessary.
I cannot remember where those UOA are. Someone can dig out.

Edit: Here you go:
Thats good data, thank you. I'll share this with them. 300v is one of my favorites

Only track oils/super quick OCI (less than 5,000km) oils I would use for my super cars would be:

HPL, Redline (non black bottles) and Motul 300v.

After each track day I would go home (or at the track if possible) drain and refill the oil with a new filter.

The proof is here you can hit the track and daily for a bit etc. But, with those cars, money shouldn’t really be an object. Grand scheme of things, oil is cheap compared to a blown motor etc. Also, don’t just focus on the fluid in the motor. Use quality coolant, brake/clutch fluid, trans fluid, diff fluid etc.
I run the HPL for multiple track days with daily miles added in and it always looks good in the UOAs. Single track day use is nuts especially for HPDE.

The M1 Racing oils are an oddball formulation on paper. They specifically state they use low viscosity base oils. The HT/HS of the 0w50 is only 3.9, by design. I say by design because it's very easy to make a shear stable oil. It's not a hard thing to formulate. These oils are likely designed this way for more HP where many are looking for any gains they can get.
Yep, they are strange. Sure would be nice if they explained a bit more on the tradeoffs they made. I just wouldn't feel comfortable using it unless I was a race team that could afford to experiment.

Yep, they are strange. Sure would be nice if they explained a bit more on the tradeoffs they made. I just wouldn't feel comfortable using it unless I was a race team that could afford to experiment.
I agree. Lot of VII too in that 0w50 grade. It's possible they are using mPAO in both of those formulations. I have no use for either of those oils but if I raced, I'd consider them. Mobil has very deep ties to the racing world so I trust they know what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:
I agree. Lot of VII too in that 0w50 grade. It's possible they are using mPAO in both of those formulations. I have no use for either of those oils but if I raced, I'd consider them. Mobil has very deep ties to the racing world so I trust they know what works and what doesn't.
Their all PAO and they dont use esters in them. I only say that as the virgin oxidation is so low

I think there are esters but in additive form like borate esters etc. Not any significant ester base oil per se. Could even contain some sort of bio based base oil. Most all oils contain some amount of esters in some form. ZDP is an ester. etc.

I think there are esters but in additive form like borate esters etc. Not any significant ester base oil per se. Could even contain some sort of bio based base oil. Most all oils contain some amount of esters in some form. ZDP is an ester. etc.
Yes, but if you look at the blending guide examples, Mobil always uses something for solvency. 5% Esterex was a common one in the older examples.

I cannot imagine a valid reason to drain your oil after a track day...Unless you have a clapped out engine and massive fuel dilution there is no reason other than it may Make You feel Better. We've run Redline, Motul, M1, etc. and each and every one of those oils has been fine after 10-12 true Racing hours...Not just a track day/drivers ed event. Motul can easily go 20-24 hours safely...and they do at Lemans and many other endurance races that Porsche participate in.

I cannot imagine a valid reason to drain your oil after a track day...Unless you have a clapped out engine and massive fuel dilution there is no reason other than it may Make You feel Better. We've run Redline, Motul, M1, etc. and each and every one of those oils has been fine after 10-12 true Racing hours...Not just a track day/drivers ed event. Motul can easily go 20-24 hours safely...and they do at Lemans and many other endurance races that Porsche participate in.
This.

I agree, but these cars with mods are north of 300k. So with type of cost, oil is nothing

I agree, but these cars with mods are north of 300k. So with type of cost, oil is nothing
The car does not know the difference when the oil is changed after 90 minutes of driver's education on a track. A DE does not place Any More stress on an oil than a trip to the mall in a Porsche. It's a waste of time and $$ even if you have both of them to waste is all I'm pointing out. If you're that worried about changing your motor oil after a 90 minute day of moderate use it's probably not the right hobby for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back