Porsche GT3 /RS A40 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've raced 3 Porsche cup cars over the years, we're currently racing a 991.1 Cup. I use Motul 300V 5w40 or Redline 5w40. Ester based oils have served us well and all the motors have been in terrific shape even past 100 racing hours. Motul 300V should probably not be run more than 5000 miles in a street car as it has less detergents. We change it at 10-12 hours in race motors and the UOA's look terrific, could go double that I imagine.
New 300V is more "streetable." Has better oxidation properties.

I would add if you're going to the non-approved side, stick with HPL/Amsoil/Red Line. The others boutique brands are questionable IMO.

Forgetting about the oil, congratulations on the car. I got to spend a few track laps in the passenger seat of this and it is a magical ride.
20230909_111215.jpg

Hello all,

Happy I posted here, lot's of great information. I learned the oil HTHS is as important as the additive pack, and their is variability in these oils.

A couple points to add to the discussion.
One thing, it’s a Porsche approval not a “spec” so any oil with the approval has paid for the approval not just ExxonMobil.

And any viscosity difference within the same grade isn’t going to be meaningful. You’d need the 50-grade to make any difference.

If you want to use an oil with A40 approval none of the ones you list will be meaningfully better or worse regardless of what we you’ve read.
Agree- Approved, and specficied / sutable are different things.

Have a bunch of guys in my club with GT3s.....they all run redline 0w40, Motul Sport 5w40, or the Motul 300v 5w40. All cars are tracked hard. 1 engine was pulled for a rebuild due to a headgasket issue/overheating but the valve train had no signs of wear. 27k on the clock. All these oils have a HTHS of 4. I wouldn't go below that.

The Redline is actually very interesting, there ar multiple oils,

1. The Normal Redline 5w40 "Sutable for A40",

2. The Professional Redline 5w40 "Approved for A40"

3. The Normal Redline 5w40 Euro "Sutable for C40" Porsche new lower particulate spec?

I really like the Redline 5W40, 4.4 HTHS, Sutable for C40. From blackstone high ZDDP, high HTHS, easily available.

I would like to stay with A40 approved, or suitable for A40. I am not smart enough on oils, so I rather stay close for now.

I am thinking top runners are:
1. Redline 5W40 Regular
2. Motul 8100 xcess gen 2 5w40
3. Mobil 1 5W40 HTHS is 4.4 and it's actually A40 Approved. I found it's $7 a quart, so this is my actual front runner. Here is a VOA comparison. Lower ZDDP, but appealing.

Actual application will be a garage queen, spirted weekend drives in the country, maybe 3k max between oil changes, started in a heated garage with temps no lower than 45F.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 55
Hello all,

Happy I posted here, lot's of great information. I learned the oil HTHS is as important as the additive pack, and their is variability in these oils.

A couple points to add to the discussion.

Agree- Approved, and specficied / sutable are different things.

The Redline is actually very interesting, there ar multiple oils,

1. The Normal Redline 5w40 "Sutable for A40",

2. The Professional Redline 5w40 "Approved for A40"

3. The Normal Redline 5w40 Euro "Sutable for C40" Porsche new lower particulate spec?

I really like the Redline 5W40, 4.4 HTHS, Sutable for C40. From blackstone high ZDDP, high HTHS, easily available.

I would like to stay with A40 approved, or suitable for A40. I am not smart enough on oils, so I rather stay close for now.

I am thinking top runners are:
1. Redline 5W40 Regular
2. Motul 8100 xcess gen 2 5w40
3. Mobil 1 5W40 HTHS is 4.4 and it's actually A40 Approved. I found it's $7 a quart, so this is my actual front runner. Here is a VOA comparison. Lower ZDDP, but appealing.

Actual application will be a garage queen, spirted weekend drives in the country, maybe 3k max between oil changes, started in a heated garage with temps no lower than 45F.
Don't overthink this. It's just a car albeit a really cool one and as you can see from your battery of UOA's there's no performance difference in what you choose to use. This is the point behind OEM approvals. They all give similar performance.

The Performance line of Redline historically has been well liked by the BMW track community for its shear resistance.

Hello all,

After some research over the last couple days, and this great thread, I decided to swap over to Mobil 1 5w50 X2 FS.

It has
1. A40 Certifcation - Safe choice as I learn about oils
2. HtHS of 4.4 I feel like this is going to help Finger Follower wear. A lot of shops that do engine tear downs say high viscosity oils at temp do better on the FF wear. This finger follower war only effects 991.1 GT3 / RS from 2014-2017. In 2018 Porsche redesigned the valvetrain, not a suprise. From an engineering perspective it seems if the oil is being wiped away from the surfaces, a higher HtHS oil will help? True or not?
3. Full Saps Oil with good ZDDP.
4. Was on Sale at Napa for $61 shipped for 8 quarts.

I don't know what oil is currently in the GT3 RS, I suspect is has Mobil FS Euro 0w-40 as it had full Porsche service 400 mile ago.

I will get a oil analysis done, and swap to the 5W50 Mobil. It's rated for low temps. As noted, my car lives in the garage inside out house (bedroom above garage) so it rarely gets below 65F.

Pic during purchase. Yes, will be probably be eventually tracked. I worked a long time to buy this thing, so bit of a first child syndrome at the moment. Just a regular dude that works 60 HRS+ a week as an engineering manager who saved up his coins to buy his dream car.

Attachments

• 131254.jpeg
    131254.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back