Porsche engine parts failure on Mobil 1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I notice is a lack of appreciation by the Euro mfg for what oils are available on the US market. As popular as RTS is, people hesitate to use it because it's no speced. Looking at the linked material, the author trolls thru tons of oils he believes are good and take into account the visc requirements for VANOS, even considering the TSBs on the subject. It would be so much better to specify such and such a visc in centi-strokes during start and warm up, rather than troll thru lists of hundreds of spec oils. The thing is those oil cos pay like $250k for a 3-year cert.

Say 3000cSt floor for cold starts, 1000-500 for warm-up and no less than 12 for operating temp, but that would rule out M1 0w-40.

Instead we are stuck with SAE and a list of approved oils.

After reading this I worry, but after 2 years of road racing, the engine still runs the transmission works great and the brake rotors are always cracked.
Never changed the Engine oil but did change the tires and brakes alot...

Last edited by a moderator:
You missed a spot...there could be a case of Amsoil on the floor there.
lol.gif

I wanted to point out the inherent contradiction when regarding Porsche's bench-testing as top-notch, but then saying the oil worked fine too. All that leaves is the quality of the failure reporting. Like I said before, if you read this guys info page, you see he probably knows what he's talking about with false-positives, where the owner had spotty service history.

This is supposed to be "by-the-book" service, which is something I understand perfectly when someone throws it in my face after I accidentally suggest a non-spec oil or service. That's why it interests me, not because I want to bash Mobil 1. Funny, what lead me to this link was a situation similar to that. A poster was "all-about" oem services, but after some encouragement from me, he researched further and sent me this guy's page, which tended to support a lot of what I was telling him.

Anyway, USA spec M1 0w-40 is ~different~, we knew that 4 years ago, and Euro mfgs typically make ~mistakes~ with their USA oil assessments, even though Mobil is supposed to comply and correlate the formulations, that's *their* job.

I wonder if Euro Mobil 1 0w-40 is an SM spec oil or not?

*paging Doug Hillary*

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
...USA spec M1 0w-40 is ~different~, we knew that 4 years ago, and Euro mfgs typically make ~mistakes~ with their USA oil assessments, even though Mobil is supposed to comply and correlate the formulations, that's *their* job...

I see what you mean. Maybe nobody tested the US version correctly?

I wanted to point out the inherent contradiction when regarding Porsche's bench-testing as top-notch, but then saying the oil worked fine too. All that leaves is the quality of the failure reporting. Like I said before, if you read this guys info page, you see he probably knows what he's talking about with false-positives, where the owner had spotty service history.

This is supposed to be "by-the-book" service, which is something I understand perfectly when someone throws it in my face after I accidentally suggest a non-spec oil or service. That's why it interests me, not because I want to bash Mobil 1. Funny, what lead me to this link was a situation similar to that. A poster was "all-about" oem services, but after some encouragement from me, he researched further and sent me this guy's page, which tended to support a lot of what I was telling him.

Anyway, USA spec M1 0w-40 is ~different~, we knew that 4 years ago, and Euro mfgs typically make ~mistakes~ with their USA oil assessments, even though Mobil is supposed to comply and correlate the formulations, that's *their* job.

*paging Doug Hillary*

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

Why/how is US spec different? The "other specs"? Seems odd to have 2 formulas.

Does anyone want to search V/UOAs for new and old M1 0w-40 additive data?

I know I don't feel like it now, but it's early still.

Mobil changed all the global websites overnight when I posted on here on day how the formula in the US was different than that in Germany. If you want to see the real specs, don't look at a Mobil website.

Here is the spec sheet for the SM formula in Canada, same as our SL formuala - http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.pdf Doug Hillary confirmed to me at one time that what he has in AU is the same as this version in Canada, not what's on their Mobil site. Note it states "Porsche Approved", not "Approved in 2002".

The US SM formula is no longer VW 503.01 approved. If you look at any oil that meets this spec in Europe, it is classified as 'fully synthetic'.

Originally Posted By: c3po

Blame the oil all you want, but at lease realize how these cars are driven.

And don't think for a second that isn't how they are DESIGNED to be driven. For many years Porsche was the MOST reliable car entered in the 24 hours of Lemans.

With the oil coolers, transmission coolers, dry sump lubrication etc... your "white knuckle" trip in the passenger seat was just a warm up for what the 911 platform can really do. If he didn't have any tire slip angle sliding through any of those turns he was probably still driving Miss Daisy at 7/10 or 8/10 at most.

Methinks you aren't accustomed to piloting performance cars
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
I was told by a guy from Mobil that it's the same formulation globally.

I was told by a guy from Mobil that it's different due to environmental laws.

Bad part. There is not a whole lot of stress on a cam gear look at the p.o.s Chevies, the plastic gears last 75,000 + miles and look at all the belt drive cams on the road the rubber lasts 60 to 90 thousand miles. I like Porsches. I would buy one over any exotic on the road. 'Cept fot a Ford GT40 replica with a big block Ford engine in it if I could get a strong enough tranny for it.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

*paging Doug Hillary*

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

It's even "SM" in auf Deutchland.
55.gif

http://www.mobil1.de/cms/Mobil_1_New_Life.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/Germany-German/Lubes/PDS/GLXXDEPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

Originally Posted By: buster
I was told by a guy from Mobil that it's the same formulation globally.

It probably is very similar at least, although there may be some variance. Isn't Euro Mobil 1 sourced from a refinery in France?

Originally Posted By: jmac
Please delete all my posts in this thread, I looked at the picture again and I was taking foreground for background and vice versa in an MC-Escher style for some reason at initial glance.

Ah ..optical dyslexia!! It was a Gestalt test!! I had my post open for a while before I submitted it ..looking back it almost seemed like you volunteered for target practice.
lol.gif

cheers3.gif

Which side of this chain tensioner will wear first?

logo_gestalt600.gif

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

And don't think for a second that isn't how they are DESIGNED to be driven. For many years Porsche was the MOST reliable car entered in the 24 hours of Lemans.

With the oil coolers, transmission coolers, dry sump lubrication etc... your "white knuckle" trip in the passenger seat was just a warm up for what the 911 platform can really do. If he didn't have any tire slip angle sliding through any of those turns he was probably still driving Miss Daisy at 7/10 or 8/10 at most.

Methinks you aren't accustomed to piloting performance cars
grin2.gif

Exactly. I sometimes take people for rides in my lowly 318ti or Mazdaspeed 3. I scare the wee out of them when I drive at 6/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back