Pontoon boats for fishing

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better fishing boat (and family recreational) for a lake at a reasonable cost.
Pontoon boats are perfect lake boats for fishing.

Pro:
1. Stable as heck
2.Plenty of walking around room makes for a perfect fishing platform
3. Can go in the most shallow of water without worrying about draft and water depth
4. Ride smooth as heck on choppy water when the wind kicks up, slices right through the chop
5. Can be customized anyway that you want by yourself, no need to buy a dedicated fishing boat.
6. Serves many boating purposes.

Con:
Many older models (and some new "sale" models) are under powered so make sure you get the most power you can afford. Many of the newest models on the market can handle the largest of all engines but you dont need to go overboard (no pun intended) but just make sure you dont skimp out on engine size, you will be glad you did and never tire of the boat.

Yes, I have noticed resale boat ads are way down this year, I suspect people held onto them and went boating instead of traveling for vacations.
You could check listings from the Lake Murray SC area, it a haul from where you are but might be worth the effort? I dont know.
Also you could check up in the Charlotte NC area.

Last edited:
"you'll never regret getting the most motor you can"

I was going to bring this up but your dealer beat me to it. That is the best advice given here so far. Sun Tracker makes several models set up for fishing and cruising. Their quality has made leaps and bounds since I sold them decades ago. Back then they were pretty junky and warranty claims were through the roof. The are well made currently and I'd be proud to own one.

I started with a pontoon set up for fishing and stuck with it for 3 years. You are higher off the water if you land a really big fish which can make it harder to get in. The biggest problem I had that I have not seen anyone address is the wind and current. Wind and current seemed 3 times harder to manage on the pontoon vs a fishing boat. I fish river current 95% of the time and do not stay home when unless the water is white capping.

If your family will not go out on a fishing boat but will go out on a pontoon then you will have to weigh it out.

I started with a pontoon set up for fishing and stuck with it for 3 years. You are higher off the water if you land a really big fish which can make it harder to get in. The biggest problem I had that I have not seen anyone address is the wind and current. Wind and current seemed 3 times harder to manage on the pontoon vs a fishing boat. I fish river current 95% of the time and do not stay home when unless the water is white capping.

If your family will not go out on a fishing boat but will go out on a pontoon then you will have to weigh it out.
Good point about landing the fish. Hadn't thought about that. Regarding wind and current, I think that could be an issue when out on open areas of the lake. I've noticed there really aren't any accomodations for anchors on pontoons, so I guess you keep one in storage and tie it to a cleat if needed. Also, one of the dealers suggested a 24 volt trolling motor with the programmable features to keep you at a specific GPS coordinate

We don't contend with current. But wind definitely affects our ability to stay anchored in one spot. Not a big factor when swimming but I could imagine problems for one trying to fish a certain spot and wanting to stay stationary.

I have owned boats for years and fished in the wind plenty. Sometimes that means two anchors
Used to fish with a guy on his pontoon boat … the pros and cons have been mentioned - but all but combination wind and currents are manageable up to a point.
He had cleats port and starboard to get the bow heading tweaked on anchor … and a drift anchor (sock) to slowly drift and fish. My favorite feature? A post mounted BBQ pit on the pontoon that came up to a nice cooking height !
He did not trailer far … but they can catch some wind drag on the way …

As far as landing a fish from a pontoon there are things made for that:

fishing net.JPG

Wind is indeed a factor on a slab sided pontoon but fishing rigs come with or have an option for a trolling/positioning motor as standard fare.

1602338978977.png

When you can only have one boat on a lake then do the pontoon. Happy wife, happy life. I used to have a '19 bowrider I/O , Ok for me and her but add more people and you can't beat the room on the pontoon. My crew doesn't ski .
I have a 2019 Suntracker 18' w/60hp merc. . No your not going to be cranking across the lake like Mr. Pro bassmaster but 18 mph is good enough for a moderately priced barge. Would have liked to have the max. size motor of 75hp but had to settle for what I could get last year.
I went Suntracker for total package price and warranty. Boat fits and loads great onto the trailer in windy conditions. My only gripe is that boat on the trailer is higher up in the air so when loading/unloading truck is deeper into the water on shallow ramps with low water conditions but it tows great. The Suntracker trailer tows like I have my 6x6x12 cargo trailer out back.
2nd summer on it now and zero issues.

How do pontoon boats hold up in terms of transom integrity?

I know transom and floor issues are the bane of used boats. If it'a all aluminum on pontoons, what's not to love!

I watched my brother completely rebuild the floor and transom on a late 1990's fiberglass 20ft open bow fiberglass runabout that he got "cheap". No thanks.

I know transom and floor issues are the bane of used boats. If it'a all aluminum on pontoons, what's not to love!

I watched my brother completely rebuild the floor and transom on a late 1990's fiberglass 20ft open bow fiberglass runabout that he got "cheap". No thanks.
Exactly why I'm on a pontoon now. Old bowrider was used when I got it cheap and not kept inside or docked under a roof previously so floors and motor mount structure rotted out. Got lucky by finding someone to take it for free, leaky obsolete OMC outdrive btw.

Reactions: JTK

All of the pontoons made now seem to have welded aluminum transoms. About the only wood on them is the pressure treated plywood deck and those all come with multiyear warranties

Reactions: JTK
Pontoon deck pretty easy to replace. I older 2 strokes are good for a lot of hours. We had a old chrysler 70 that had over 1500 hours on it, maybe even more. We ran 3 tanks thru every weekend minimum. at economy cruse it would run 3 hours or more on a tank.

Rod

+1
A good compromise for family use and fishing would be a center console deck boat. Unfortunately a used one will be very hard to find, and most of them will have an I/O (which I personally dislike, having owned both).

I put them in the same category as 😫 minivans, wouldn't be caught dead in one. That said many of the commercial fishermen here on Lake Champlain use them. Around here they use the aluminum pontoons that let them climb right into the the shallowest shoals. No outdrive to ding up drifting onto rocks just under the water. Lots of room for separation if you are fishing. For the size of the engines they really go like hell and are amazingly stable I fairly rough water. They are pretty wide and their trailer is too when you have to park and cover them. Definitely not my cup of tea but beats my cudy to pieces in versatility. Just make sure to tarp it or park it inside some kind of shelter as much as you can. Sun, especially in the south rots the furniture and if it has a wooden floor (under fiberglass) covered by that water holding carpet they call "Rat Hair" the rain needs to be kept off it long term or the floor eventually goes to crap.

Pontoons are great for fishing, even guided out of them. Lots room for everything, we normally stripped all furniture off and used folding chairs and recliners as needed for how it was being used that day. Full BBQ and table, coolers and other stuff with room to spare. You can put up a large bimini top for shade, and an enclosure for a porta potty if desired.

Anything under 20' doesn't do that well with a load or in adverse conditions.

On pontoons HP isn't as critical, unless it's required for your ego, they do quite well with less power.

We never had problems landing fish, it was a non issue. We fished rivers and lakes, currents and wind weren't that much of an issue.

Many decades of living on the water and owning many boats, up to eight a time, the only boat I'd buy now is a pontoon boat 24' or bigger and not with the maximum power option.

1) Grew up on Lakes Champlain and George. Always saw people having a good time on pontoon boats....always loved them.
I'm not a boat guy (saw too many neglected ones lying about I suppose) but the idea of a pontoon boat turned into a 60mph bass boat seems like a mismatch.

2) Above it says, "...there is a limit to how many years you can get out of the pontoons. Even in a fresh water lake like Lake Author the water does act on the aluminum and corrodes and removes some of it."
a) Thanks for the notice. Caveat emptor. Used boat buying takes moxie.
b) You'd think in this day and age "they'd" have a coating for aluminum (or any other material) for water applications.

I totally need to update my exposure to pontoon boats.

1) Grew up on Lakes Champlain and George. Always saw people having a good time on pontoon boats....always loved them.
I'm not a boat guy (saw too many neglected ones lying about I suppose) but the idea of a pontoon boat turned into a 60mph bass boat seems like a mismatch.

2) Above it says, "...there is a limit to how many years you can get out of the pontoons. Even in a fresh water lake like Lake Author the water does act on the aluminum and corrodes and removes some of it."
a) Thanks for the notice. Caveat emptor. Used boat buying takes moxie.
b) You'd think in this day and age "they'd" have a coating for aluminum (or any other material) for water applications.

I totally need to update my exposure to pontoon boats.
Kira, agree that trying to turn a pontoon into a 60 mph bass boat seems a bit silly. That being said, I think getting at or near max size motor makes sense for my needs, given that Lanier is a big lake, and would hope to be able to pull kids on a tube even with several people on board.
I agree about the warnings on aluminum. The water in Lanier is quite caustic on fiberglass and aluminum and a lot of folks buy lifts if they want their boats to last. I believe at least one manufacturer either did or does coat their pontoons, but people complained that it makes it more tricky to care for if you're used to cleaning/polishing bare metal.

Will keep this short since I post in this thread already, wanted to comment on some others that I agree with.
If looking used, it pays to take a good hard look at the seats and vinyl for rot and sun damage, this goes for any boat, but I have noticed many people do not cover pontoons. Sitting in the sun and elements all day long day after day will take its toll on any boat.
This damage also includes the floor. Doesnt matter that its pressure treated ect, look it over real good because besides the seats, the floor will take a beating, really all depends how old.
Back to the engine which I have commented on and most agree, get the most power you can within the rating of the boat. Even if you dont use the power, the boat will run more economically as you will not have to push the engine as hard to move at a decent speed. The more your are in the middle operating RPM of the engine, the more fuel you will save vs a smaller engine running high RPM.
But forget about that, after all its a boat and we dont except to save fuel, but you will also save engine wear running a larger engine more in the mid range then a small engine being forced to run close to wide open RPM/throttle.
Again, I know you agree, but you will never regret getting the most power you can afford in a pontoon.
I think its perfect for your needs (as you know)

Back