Plugs and coil for Chevy Trax?

I'm due for plugs, so I'm gonna pick up some AC Delco ones. Is it always necessary to change the coil on plug setup when changing the plugs? I was watching a YouTube video and when he took off the coil, it looked deteriorated and some springs came out. Unknown how many miles. I have 65K. If so, should I get AC Delco or is a cheaper option OK?any suggestions or brands to stay away from? Thanks!

I'm due for plugs, so I'm gonna pick up some AC Delco ones. Is it always necessary to change the coil on plug setup when changing the plugs? I was watching a YouTube video and when he took off the coil, it looked deteriorated and some springs came out. Unknown how many miles. I have 65K. If so, should I get AC Delco or is a cheaper option OK?any suggestions or brands to stay away from? Thanks!

No, I have never changed a coil on coil-on-plug setups when changing the plugs. I do, however, change the boots if they are available separately from the coil (they usually are).

If you are not getting any misfiring, I would reuse your present coils and just change plugs with OEM ones.

If you look on the NGK web page the two recommended plugs for the Trax are 1FR7X7G and FR7BHX-S.
The 1st one is a Laser Iridium and the 2nd one is a Ruthenium HX high ignitibility.
You can't go wrong with
ACDelco Iridium Spark Plug 41-121

I was having misfire on my Trax. I put in NGK 1FR7x7G plugs and an accel coil pack. No more problems.

Coils are not inherently a wear item to be replaced at regular intervals, except for cars where coil failure is common, which may be the case with your car.

The ACD plugs for your Trax are NGK iridium at a much lower price. In addition, there is a $3 rebate on ACD Iridium.

If you look on the NGK web page the two recommended plugs for the Trax are 1FR7X7G and FR7BHX-S.
The 1st one is a Laser Iridium and the 2nd one is a Ruthenium HX high ignitibility.
You can't go wrong with
ACDelco Iridium Spark Plug 41-121

I was having misfire on my Trax. I put in NGK 1FR7x7G plugs and an accel coil pack. No more problems.

Do you replace all 4 as SOP? Sounds like a $450 plug change.o_O How would a DIY guy test coils?
It’s a coil cassette like on a Saab 9000. The I4/V6 Ecotec engines have a bit of Opel and Saab in them.

Also, the Volt sees its gas engine more like a split between range extender and hybrid. It’s not a turbo engine as well - so less demand on the ignition system.

No, I have never changed a coil on coil-on-plug setups when changing the plugs. I do, however, change the boots if they are available separately from the coil (they usually are).
I’ve just did the 2nd set of plugs on my Malibu this time I change the coil boots . Good thing because I rip two boots trying to get to the plugs. They boots were hard so im glad I had new ones on hand

I’ve just did the 2nd set of plugs on my Malibu this time I change the coil boots . Good thing because I rip two boots trying to get to the plugs. They boots were hard so im glad I had new ones on hand

They don't seem to bother with any silicone dielectric grease in the boots from the factory. This is why they stick to the plug and sometimes rip when you try to remove them.

So, I had add some silicone dielectric grease to the boots to make removing them easier next time I change the plugs. I add it at the top where it connects to the coil, and at the bottom where it connects to the plug.

They don't seem to bother with any silicone dielectric grease in the boots from the factory. This is why they stick to the plug and sometimes rip when you try to remove them.

So, I had add some silicone dielectric grease to the boots to make removing them easier next time I change the plugs. I add it at the top where it connects to the coil, and at the bottom where it connects to the plug.
Yeah I know you Right There was no grease. I put dielectric grease on the new coil boots for the next person . Im not changing plugs on her no more .

I used the AC Iridium plugs when I bought the Cruze. Between the discount price on Rockauto and the AC rebate they were by far the least expensive option. Had I known the boots were as inexpensive as they are I would have done them also even absent any misfire. It looked like 1 had been replaced before.

Have yet to hear about anyone with a Gen 1 Volt having to replace this.

Having owned a Gen 1 Volt, I would have to say the reason they don't munch their coils comes down to the fact that they don't suffer anywhere near the underhood heat that the turbo 1.4's do. My 2013 Volt has been nothing but bullet proof, while most every other GM product with the 1.4 is a nightmare. Perfect example of why I hate turbo charging: loads of unnecessary complexity and weakness just to provide a small increase in power. No thanks.

Back