Changing Plugs/Coils-do them all?

I've got a 3.0 duratec. I changed the spark plugs at 60K, then at 120K I had one of the rear coils start to miss under load so did them all again and replaced all the coils with Denso coils I bought from RA, also did the PCV change. I kept the 5 good factory coils.

I’ve never had a COP coil just fail. They have always been because of a leak or water getting down the plug holes etc. That would cause a new one to fail the same as an old one.

I think I might change the back coils with the plugs. I had a Duratec in a Mazda van, and the coils were a problem.

I would definitely have done the back 3 coils. The 3.5 is known for melting down coils, especially the rear bank where heat is concentrated. OE coils aren't that expensive, either.

If I were you, now that you know how easy the plenum is removed, I'd go back in and do those rear coils. Your newly installed gaskets will be perfectly fine to re-use. As far as the front bank, that's personal preference. Again, given their history of melting down, I would just do them all and be done with it for another 100k+ miles.

This is interesting. I have never had a coil to fail but I always change my plugs a little earlier than owner's manual says.
I only buy my plugs from a dealer. I don't want to be that one guy out of 100 (?) that gets a counterfeit plug.

As the plug wears the coil has to work harder to get the spark to jump the gap. Your car is running fine but straining the coils.
At least that is what I was taught.

Back