Plug change: better MPG placebo effect?

Chevy Trax. Old AC Delco plugs weren't bad at all. Changed at 67K. Replaced with same plugs. It seems as if I'm getting about 1 mpg better from the dashboard monitor. Seems slightly peppier as well. What say ye?

If your old plugs were causing pinging due to deposits the car could have pulled timing that you're getting back. An induction service might have had the same effect.

Chevy Trax. Old AC Delco plugs weren't bad at all. Changed at 67K. Replaced with same plugs. It seems as if I'm getting about 1 mpg better from the dashboard monitor. Seems slightly peppier as well. What say ye?
Possible. It is what it is. Good change interval to avoid possible plug seizure later on.

It could be but then it is warmer. Last month I changed the plugs on my F150 and it gets 1mpg better! Was it the plugs or the warmer weather,,, 54,000 miles and the 2.7 engine

Reactions: FZ1
You can have a miss and not feel it. Had a 96 Lumina 3.1. Check engine light came on. GM scanner showed a cylinder had missed over 5000 times. Never felt a skip. Bad coil fixed it. If you have somebody with a scanner, see what it was doing.

I changed the plugs in our 2.3 EB Explorer at 60,000 miles solely because I didn't want to have problems removing them at 100,000 miles. As it was they put up some resistance removing them. I installed Motorcraft replacement plugs using anti-seize. They were still gapped within specs. No difference in running with the new plugs.

Reactions: FZ1
Back