2012 1.6L Fiesta Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my girlfriends car, a 2012 Ford Fiesta 1.6L is due for a tune up. The sparkplugs are OEM, and probably have been in the car for the entire 72k miles.
I see the AC Delco Rapidfire 17s apparently fit this car (NOTE: before yall call me a heathen for using AC Delco parts on a Ford, these are what I'll be using regardless of what you say)

This being said, I was wondering what exactly is the gap for this car? Fiesta forums are full of mindboggling nonsense in my Google searches.

Torque settings?

I ordered a new set of wires and a coil pack as well. Might as well do it all, gives me something to do and another reason to curse at Ford (if it's anything like my old Ranger the neighborhood better hide their children because I'll be saying some bad things)

----

AS for why I'm using AC Delco Spark Plugs, well, theres a 1$ off rebate per plug and I scored some from NAPA for about 1.98$ per plug with my order and coupon codes, they'll be only 98 cents a plug after the rebate ... also I manned a M2 Cal .50 Machine Gun for 9 months that was made by AC Delco probably way before I was born and was literally the only one that never had an issue... and it's the most basic car in the world, I'm sure it really doesn't care what it has in it

Last edited:
I see that Rock Auto says the gap is .030 for these plugs, oreilly says pregap is set at .042, so should I regap them?

The plug gap information should be under the hood(in the hood label). This would be gospel.

No, don't gap the plugs but check them carefully. They're supposed to be pre gapped from the factory. If you do gap them, do it carefully as well. Check for the proper way to gap'em...maybe a youtube video.

When it comes to ignition parts, engines can be finicky. Maybe not right away but, finicky just the same.
I'd stick with OE parts that you can buy at your best price be it RockAuto, Amazon etc.

Last edited:
The car has been running well for 72,000 miles and you want to change to different sparkypoos because you can get others at '60's prices and that your favorite BMG had some ACDelco parts?

Plus, you're going into this job swearing like Rumplestilskin. Don't gall any threads!

An OEM set of plugs for that car cost, what? $20? ...and since it is the most basic car in the world, why do you have to ask what to gap the plugs to?

Rock on dude.

Seriously, back in the 80's, I would be the same way. But with ignitions like they are today (as others have said above) just use OEM. This way, your girlfriend doesn't get mad at you for experimenting on her car......

*disclaimer...I did this with my wife's Santa Fe with Champion plugs (iridium.) Car ran fine, but switched back to OEM plugs about a month later. For no reason other than I wasn't sure about the gap. Conflicting information, like you said above. That being said, sick with the gap under the hood.

Last edited:
Your plugs have a 14mm thread so your torque will be between 18~22ft lbs unless it's tapered. See chart. Gap should be pre-set at the factory if they're OEM plugs. But check them to make sure they match what's on the box.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
bad idea using a GM plug in a Ford.

Why? Acdelco spark plugs are rebadged NGKs.

Originally Posted by Urshurak776
An OEM set of plugs for that car cost, what? $20? ...and since it is the most basic car in the world, why do you have to ask what to gap the plugs to?

Rock on dude.

Seriously, back in the 80's, I would be the same way. But with ignitions like they are today (as others have said above) just use OEM. This way, your girlfriend doesn't get mad at you for experimenting on her car......

*disclaimer...I did this with my wife's Santa Fe with Champion plugs (iridium.) Car ran fine, but switched back to OEM plugs about a month later. For no reason other than I wasn't sure about the gap. Conflicting information, like you said above. That being said, sick with the gap under the hood.

How many different OEM's are there for this engine. This forum is hoot with OEM believing the vehicle assembler produces parts such as plugs, glass, and ect.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Rock on dude.

How many different OEM's are there for this engine. This forum is hoot with OEM believing the vehicle assembler produces parts such as plugs, glass, and ect.

Exactly. How many companies make Motorcraft or Autolite plugs?

Aren't the Rapid Fires made specifically for heavily oil burning apps, or am I thinking of some other Delco model plug from the distant past?

The new NGK Rutheniums are going into my 1.6 EB, as soon as I receive the thin-walled spark plug socket from Sunnex.

That year NA Fiesta 1.6 still used plug wires, and not a full coil on plug arrangement, like the current ones?

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by dave1251

Rock on dude.

Exactly. How many companies make Motorcraft or Autolite plugs?

Gumby, Thanks for your service and sacrifice
34.gif
. As for spark plugs today's engines are a lot "pickier" with spark plugs than the simpler engines of the past. Various spark plug manufactures make "factory" plugs that are tailored to specific manufactures specifications. I have 2.3 EB Explorer that uses SP-537 Motorcraft plugs made by NGK. That's the 4 pack number I believe. The individual plug number is CYFS-12Y-2. I think your 1.6 may take the same plug. These iridium plugs come with the correct gap for Ford since the gap is not really adjustable. I got the Motorcraft plugs from Rock Auto for about $4.50 each.

Whimsey

I don't think modern engines are "picky" about their spark plug type, just don't throw an E3 plug or some other crazy electrode plug into a vehicle that didn't come with them, and make sure the gap is properly set.

I was told by a lot of people if I put platinum or iridium plugs, or even anything other than the factory NGK plugs, in my 5.7 hemi, which came with copper plugs, that it would misfire, run bad, "melt holes" into my pistons, burn up the coil packs etc etc. Same thing for my Caliber. Durango was still running great when I traded it in, and the Caliber is still running great.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I don't think modern engines are "picky" about their spark plug type, just don't throw an E3 plug or some other crazy electrode plug into a vehicle that didn't come with them, and make sure the gap is properly set.

I was told by a lot of people if I put platinum or iridium plugs, or even anything other than the factory NGK plugs, in my 5.7 hemi, which came with copper plugs, that it would misfire, run bad, "melt holes" into my pistons, burn up the coil packs etc etc. Same thing for my Caliber. Durango was still running great when I traded it in, and the Caliber is still running great.

You are correct, as long as the plug meets specs it will work fine, whether it is NGK, Bosch, Denso, Autolite, AC Delco, ect.
Most important are heat range, gap, number of electrodes, thread pitch, and length which a lot of people forget about, the working end of the plug MUST be
the correct length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back