Please recd oil for 10k and 1 year oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new here and would like some advice from you much more knowleageable folks. I have a 2001 Honda Civic bought used with 85k on it. It has had dino oil and blended syn by previous owner as far as I can tell. I like suggestions on what would be the best oil for my situation. I will be putting in rougly 10k a year. It could be up to 12k a year but very unlikely. Which oil and filter combo would be best in both value and protection? I'd like to be able to only do 1 oil change only once per year?

Amsoil 5W-30 or 0W-30 with an Amsoil EaO20 filter. Change it once a year and drive happy!
thumbsup2.gif

10k a year means a lot of short trips or some time without using the car.

Both mean moisture and some fuel dilution, therefore a syn oil will be useful to counteract these.

I would say PP or M1 if you want to go on 1 year OCI, or you can go on dino oil and change every 6 months (another way to remove moisture and fuel from oil).

My 02 CAD cents.
08.gif

BTW,
welcome2.gif

I think you should go with the spec'd grade ASM 0w-20 and an EaO for 10k over a year span.

I think you have a 10k recommended OCI anyway ..on dino ..with any old OEM spec'd filter ..but that requires faith.

Ultimatley, it all depends on your operational conditions and the environment you are running your vehicle in.

-frequent short trips, stop and go driving, dusty, high humidity conditions and high ambient temperature fluctuations would call for shorter OCI.

I would be tempted to go for 10k runs but frankly I don't see the point (on my side).

Q. :2cents:

If Honda is recommending 10k OCI for 2001 Civic with dino oils then any synthetic, even group III, such as Penzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower is more than adequate. Specially, OP is looking for "value" oils, Valvoline Synpower can be bought on sale for less than $1/qt at CSK.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If Honda is recommending 10k OCI for 2001 Civic with dino oils then any synthetic, even group III, such as Penzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower is more than adequate. Specially, OP is looking for "value" oils, Valvoline Synpower can be bought on sale for less than $1/qt at CSK.

I don't remember what OCI was stated for my Dad's 2001 civic. We just changed it every 5-6 months with Pennzoil 5w-20 or Castrol GTX 5w-20 and called it a day.

I'm pretty sure they did have a short trip OCI listed. I'll have to go check the manual with the person who bought his civic.

Personally I'd want to get the byproducts and water out of the oil/sump. So I'd change it every 6 months with any 5w-20.

Bill

I want an oil that is readily avail and reasonably priced so I have to cancel the idea of Amsoil. The car is my daily driver averaging out to be 800-1000 miles a month....say 50/50 hiway and city. I never paid attention to how much city to highway driving ratio so the above is my best guess.

It currently has Castrol GTX 5w-20 in there. The reason I want to do 1 year oil change is I live in an apartment and not for laziness. I love to change oil but current situation doesn't allow it. Been reading some UOA's and don't know if I can do the 10k/1year deal . I was hoping that I could since synthetic combo like M1 or PP with an M1 extended Filter can be had for around 30 for PP or 34 for M1 whereas dino like Castrol/Fram filter combo ran for 13bucks. So I thought I might be able to save time and money going synthetic for 34 bucks a year if doable vs 13 dollars of dino oil times 3 at 3.5k mile oci for a total of 39 dollars.

All this in the interest of saving time and money.

The Mobil 1 filters are good but you can get a purolator pure one or a wix/napa gold for less than a M1 and they are every bit as good if not better. I want to say that a filter like that should be $6 or less.

Plus you can get a 5 quart jug of PP at wally world for $19 or M1 for about $24.

So you can get PP or M1 for $25 to $30. This is at regular price.

Ok I think I will go with Pure One and PP 5w-20. Now I have fine tuned my estimate to be 66% highway and 33% street travel.
So that will be 240-290 miles weekdays to work and 480-580miles weekend traveling on highway. The main question is do you think the oil will survive the service interval I am aiming for at 10k per year and 1 oil change per year?

Pick an oil specifically designed to meet the viscosity rating called for by your manual, and carries the specs for extended change intervals. Then do yourself a favor... Run the oil for 5000-7500 miles, then send a sample of the used oil to Blackstone Labs to determine if it is holding up in YOUR engine.

The lab report will indicate whether you can go the 10K miles before the oil has lost its essential additives and needs changing. That is the only true way to know the answer to your question. Anything else is just an opinion or an educated guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vranasaurus
The Mobil 1 filters are good but you can get a purolator pure one or a wix/napa gold for less than a M1 and they are every bit as good if not better. I want to say that a filter like that should be $6 or less.

Plus you can get a 5 quart jug of PP at wally world for $19 or M1 for about $24.

So you can get PP or M1 for $25 to $30. This is at regular price.

Yeah...what he said.

I have a '99 Civic and I've had no problem going 10K.

My current plan is change the PP every 10K and the Amsoil EaO oil filter every 20K. Once I get the Fumoto drain installed I figure every other oil change should be a black tie and white glove affair it will be so clean!

Clark

2001 and later civic has roller rocker follower, so it is very easy on oil. Typical OCI is 10k and severe is 5k. Any synthetic should do 10k easily in this engine.

He already said no Amsoil or bouquet oil, and he want value oil, so I'd say grab any on sale synthetic and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back