Please Help Me Understand the Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought four cases of Kendall GT1 5W30 Full Synthetic about six months ago. I haven't used any yet but will soon. I noticed that Kendall has a new oil that's Dexos approved. Evidently I have a non-Dexos oil (second one down). I've compared the numbers as best I can, and although there are some minor differences, especially the lack of Titanium in the new Dexos oil, what would make my oil not applicable for my GMC? The GT1 Dexos doesn't appear to be a full synthetic, at least not in the product name on the manufacturer's site. Syn-blend? Just wondering. Thanks.

GT-1® Dexos1® Motor Oil
Typical Properties
SAE Grade 5W-30
Specific Gravity @ 60°F 0.850
Density, lbs/gal @ 60°F 7.08
Flash Point (COC), °C (°F) 220 (428)
Pour Point, °C (°F) -42 (-44)
Viscosity, Kinematic
cSt @ 40°C 63.0
cSt @ 100°C 11.1
Viscosity Index 170
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP 4,950 @ (°C) (-30)
High-Temp/High-Shear Viscosity, cP @ 150°C 3.2
Sulfated Ash, ASTM D874, wt % 0.92
Total Base Number (TBN), ASTM D2896 7.9
Phosphorus, wt % 0.077
Zinc, wt % 0.085

GT-1® Full Synthetic Motor Oil with Liquid Titanium®
Typical Properties
SAE Grade 5W-30
Specific Gravity @ 60°F 0.851
Density, lbs/gal @ 60°F 7.09
Flash Point (COC), °C (°F) 235 (455)
Pour Point, °C (°F) -40 (-40)
Viscosity, Kinematic
cSt @ 40°C 61.2
cSt @ 100°C 10.9
Viscosity Index 171
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP 4,900
@ (°C) (-30)
High Temp/High Shear Viscosity, cP @ 150°C 3.0
Sulfated Ash, ASTM D874, wt % 1.02
Total Base Number (TBN), ASTM D2896 8.6
Phosphorus, wt % 0.077
Titanium, wt % 0.010
Zinc, wt % 0.085

Last edited:
Thanks Volk06. Is that the only difference? Would a .03 difference, assuming 1.02 - .99 (as the less than one factor) really matter in a 5K OCI. I understand the posted difference is .1. Is it that critical? I'm not a tribologist and would just like to understand. I'll use my oil in my Nissan no problem but would like to use it in my GMC too if possible. If not, oh well.

AFAIK, all GT-1 branded Kendall is full synthetic. The dexos oil is thicker but that's about it. It'll work fine in your GM, I haven't heard of anyone being denied warranty just because they didn't use a dexos oil. They technically can't prove the difference anyways.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
AFAIK, all GT-1 branded Kendall is full synthetic. The dexos oil is thicker but that's about it. It'll work fine in your GM, I haven't heard of anyone being denied warranty just because they didn't use a dexos oil. They technically can't prove the difference anyways.

GT-1 comes in synthetic blend as well.

Ding, Ding, Ding... we have a winner!

Kendall does have a line of GT-1 semi-synthetic oils also.

I was able to grab 18 quarts of the Kendall 5W30 Semi-syn from AZ for $1 each. A small consolation to my cancelled order and no accompanying gift card.

Thought I'd post some info I found on the internet regarding Kendall GT1 Full Synthetic and dexos1 licensed oil. The first excerpt is from a Conoco Exec. The second one is a response from Kendall to a question via Facebook. There were several others I just didn't want to clutter up the post with. I will have no concerns using the four cases of Kendall GT1 Full Syn I purchased six months ago without the dexos1 stamp on it.

"Accordingly, ConocoPhillips Lubricants will offer a product that meets, in every respect, the technical specifications for dexos1, but we will not use the dexos1 name in our marketing. For your customers that desire a product meeting the dexos1 product specifications for their GM vehicle, beginning November 1, ConocoPhillips Lubricants will offer Kendall GT-1® 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil with Liquid Titanium®. This passenger car motor oil has in fact been formulated to more than meet the requirements of dexos1 and the API/ILSAC GF-5 standards, and offers unique performance benefits due to our exclusive Liquid Titanium additive. You will be hearing more on this shortly."

Kendall Motor Oil Hi Mike, Thanks for asking and being such an ardent Kendall Motor Oil supporter—we appreciate it. While we have not licensed our oil to meet dexos1 specifications, our Kendall GT1® Full Synthetic Motor Oil with Liquid Titanium® protection additive in 5W30 does meet dexos1 specs. Further, all of our Kendall GT1 Motor Oil with Liquid Titanium protection additive meets, or exceeds, GF5 specifications and all Kendall Motor Oil products are backed by the Kendall Warranty. If you’d like to learn about specific Liquid Titanium protection additiveenhanced oil, please feel free to visit our website and review respective technical data sheets (along with warranty), which can be found here: http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/.../results.aspx.... Please let us know if you have additional questions or would like to discuss in more detail. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back