Please help me find a good oil for my application

Well I still got to get though my last 6 quarts of PUP. So I guess I’ll have time to decide between the Mobil 1 0w40 or the ESP 5w30.

In the meantime. Here are a few pictures of the car.

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpeg
    IMG_0908.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0906.jpeg
    IMG_0906.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0897.jpeg
    IMG_0897.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 14
I think the cat concern with full SAPS is unfounded - lots of cars running this stuff or the last 20+ years and no cat issues I've ever read about.
No cat on my car anyways. I know some people don’t like this. Especially the EPA. But my turbo prefers catless. Lol.

So I guess it comes down too. Will lower SAPS oils produce less IVD vs full saps.

Well I still got to get though my last 6 quarts of PUP. So I guess I’ll have time to decide between the Mobil 1 0w40 or the ESP 5w30.

In the meantime. Here are a few pictures of the car.
My son's buddy has one that he autocross (the whole group does). He just tossed a used Cobb AP on for tuning - running the base Cobb tune now, will likely get a custom tune soon. Did some logging the other night. Runs the Mountune FMIC. They are cool hatches.

20230814_215913.jpg

My son's buddy has one that he autocross (the whole group does). He just tossed a used Cobb AP on for tuning - running the base Cobb tune now, will likely get a custom tune soon. Did some logging the other night. Runs the Mountune FMIC. They are cool hatches.

View attachment 173392
They’re fun little cars. Very fun on tight technical sections and canyon runs. Not a lot of top end horsepower on these cars unless you go with a bigger turbo. but great amount of torque for a 2.0 I can’t complain about the performance for what the car cost me.

No cat on my car anyways. I know some people don’t like this. Especially the EPA. But my turbo prefers catless. Lol.

So I guess it comes down too. Will lower SAPS oils produce less IVD vs full saps.
Ah well there you go hahaha. Yeah...I'm in the "don't run catless DPs" b/c testing will show again and again that this isn't increasing your power at all over a high-flow cat and they smell.

I don't believe full SAPS oils produce anymore IVDs than lower SAPS. My opinion. I run full SAPS oil on my VW that is v. modified/tracked/etc. and my valves looked fine at 75K (ahd them cleaned anyway b/c in there for a water pump). I think this is BITOG/internet lore vs. based on actual data...much like catch cans reducing IVD which I've never seen to do that.

Ah well there you go hahaha. Yeah...I'm in the "don't run catless DPs" b/c testing will show again and again that this isn't increasing your power at all over a high-flow cat and they smell.

I don't believe full SAPS oils produce anymore IVDs than lower SAPS. My opinion. I run full SAPS oil on my VW that is v. modified/tracked/etc. and my valves looked fine at 75K (ahd them cleaned anyway b/c in there for a water pump). I think this is BITOG/internet lore vs. based on actual data...much like catch cans reducing IVD which I've never seen to do that.
Which VW do you have? It’s also TGDI?

I'm not sure anyone really knows the definitive answer to this; there are all kinds of school of thought on this, but on cars known for IVD problems, even the ones who've used "good" oils still end up having to clean their valves.
That is true. So In reality it probably makes no difference. And also on the 2.0 ecoboost in the ST. Even with a good amount of IVD the car still seems to run fine based on all the evidence on the Focus ST forums. Lots of people with 100k+ miles and never cleaned the valves and have no issues. My car is at 60k miles and valves have never been cleaned and the car runs great. No misfires, no knock, no compression issues and car is making good power.

I will toss in, to TiGeo's chagrin, that HPL's No VII sale sheet does mention that no VIIs in the oil will minimize deposits... which means VII's are a likely culprit after they've sheared, and possibly before:
1692298369248.png

but it also appears that esters can help minimize them as well.

I will toss in, to TiGeo's chagrin, that HPL's No VII sale sheet does mention that no VIIs in the oil will minimize deposits... which means VII's are a likely culprit after they've sheared, and possibly before:
View attachment 173395
I concur that this is a good oil to run in the turbos but I still run the Euro 5W40 per HPL-Dave's recommendation...higher HTHS and star VIIs....I see a good ending viscosity even with a bit of fuel indicating this isn't shearing much if at all.

That is true. So In reality it probably makes no difference. And also on the 2.0 ecoboost in the ST. Even with a good amount of IVD the car still seems to run fine based on all the evidence on the Focus ST forums. Lots of people with 100k+ miles and never cleaned the valves and have no issues. My car is at 60k miles and valves have never been cleaned and the car runs great. No misfires, no knock, no compression issues and car is making good power.
Then you have your answer.

I concur that this is a good oil to run in the turbos but I still run the Euro 5W40 per HPL-Dave's recommendation...higher HTHS and star VIIs....I see a good ending viscosity even with a bit of fuel indicating this isn't shearing much if at all.
In no way am I knocking using a higher viscosity, or the Euro HPL. As you said & RDY4WAR has illuminated us on a couple times, the star VIIs used in HPL's oils are top quality and nearly shear resistant. I honestly don't think the OP could go "wrong" with any of the Mobil or HPL oils discussed in this thread... they're all well above the "run of the mill" shelf-stock oils and M1 or HPL should serve his usage well.

View attachment 173395

but it also appears that esters can help minimize them as well.
Hmm does anyone know if Mobil 1 0w40 or the esp 5w30 use esters that will help with IVD? And are they no VII base as well?

Hmm does anyone know if Mobil 1 0w40 or the esp 5w30 use esters that will help with IVD? And are they no VII base as well?
Yes, they both have "some" level of esters, but only Mobil could tell you the %s, and they won't. Maybe @Tom NJ could posit a guess. HPL runs somewhere around 8%.

Both the Mobil 1s will almost certainly have some level of VIIs in them; if the VI is above 180, it's nearly a certainty that they've got some VIIs but the actual percentage is trade secret.

The M1 isn't using esters in any amount to reduce IVDs. IVDs are just a fact of life with DI, there is no way around it beyond adding water-meth injection or port injection (MPI). Some oil fumes make it through the PCV and on the valves...it happens. M1 is not a no-VII base. HPL and Amsoil both make no-VII oils. IVD are a function of the PCV system and older DI engines seemed to have more of an issue than the current crop.

The M1 isn't using esters in any amount to reduce IVDs. IVDs are just a fact of life with DI, there is no way around it beyond adding water-meth injection or port injection (MPI). Some oil fumes make it through the PCV and on the valves...it happens. M1 is not a no-VII base. HPL and Amsoil both make no-VII oils. IVD are a function of the PCV system and older DI engines seemed to have more of an issue than the current crop.

Okay thanks for all of the info. I have certainly learned a lot since joining the forum here.

Back