Please help me choose a good 5w40 oil for a 1.8T engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a 2001 GTI 1.8T and have to do the oil change. The manual states 5w40 and I use synthetic usually.

Now, should I use Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40, or get Lubro Moly 5W40 Voll-Synthese instead? Which one does a better job in a turbo engine? They both cost pretty much the same for me.

Also, at 50K miles, what other additive, if any, should I add to the engine considering the fact that I drive very hard and do a few track days a year?!

Thanks a lot

Oil specs:

Motual X-cess 8100 5W40:
ACEA A3/B3/B4
API SL/CF
VW 502 00/505 00 - BMW ‘Long Life’ - PORSCHE
Mercedes Benz 229.3 - OPEL/GM Diesel LL B-025

Lubro Moly VOLLSYNTHESE 5W40:
API SH / EC / CF
API SJ / CF;
ACEA A3-98/B3-98; BMW Longlife-98, MB 229.1, Porsche, VW 502.00, 505.00

I think the biggest difference is that Motul is SL and Lubro Moly is SJ?! Now, not sure what that means?!

quote:

Originally posted by Alex B:

I think the biggest difference is that Motul is SL and Lubro Moly is SJ?! Now, not sure what that means?!

The potential for a beefier additive package lays with the SJ oil . I don't think it really means better protection in most cases though. Depends on many things about the formulation . Some of these oils a guy just has to try to see how it works for him .

In Canada price and availability is often a huge problem for the better oils . The Castrol 5w-40 is a proven performer in those engines but new to Canada and the USA is AGIP . They have a 5w-40 that sells here for 3.90 a quart .

Before ruling this oil out you could call Pino Asaro at AGIP Canada to see if the oil meets the specs you need and is priced as right up there as it is in the USA .1-800-957-2447

[ February 27, 2004, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Hi,

I have a 2001 GTI 1.8T and have to do the oil change. The manual states 5w40 and I use synthetic usually.

Now, should I use Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40, or get Lubro Moly 5W40 Voll-Synthese instead? Which one does a better job in a turbo engine? They both cost pretty much the same for me.

Also, at 50K miles, what other additive, if any, should I add to the engine considering the fact that I drive very hard and do a few track days a year?!

Thanks a lot

Actually, my 1.8T in my A4 runs best with Amsoil s2k 0W-30, it is recommended to use 0W-30-5W-40 in the manual. Almost NO valvetrain noise whatsoever on startup, very quiet.

Thanks for all the replies. My problem is availability. I can find Castrol 5W40 German at around 65 CND$, Mobil-1 only comes in 5W30 here, and Redline is way too expensive. Therefore, I asked about the two I mentioned, Motul and Lubro Moly. They both come in 5W40, both have VW 502, 505 certification and cost me around $45.00 bulk.

So, not to get confused again. Between the TWO, which is better?

Thnx

BTW, I also found another difference between the two:

Motul is rated B4 ... but LubroMoly is B3-98?!

So, does this mean Motul protects better then?

quote:

BTW, I also found another difference between the two:

Motul is rated B4 ... but LubroMoly is B3-98?!

So, does this mean Motul protects better then?

The only addition B4 has over B3, is the ability to stay in grade for diesel direct injection motors. B4 also states that it must be worthy of a B3 rating as well. So it's like saying B3+DI.

ferb!

Alex, I recommend you use Red line 5W-40, the best oil I can find in that viscosity range. Call MyOilShop.com at 412/487-5004 for the lowest prices--U$7/quart plus U$7.80/case shipping in the US...and 10% less than that if your order gets to U$150. I just bought 2 cases at U$6.95/qt. delivered.

I don't know what you have up in the great white north, but down here, the two biggest of the shelf choices are Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol Syntec 5w40 (if you want to stay with the 40 weight warm). These oils are both VW certified.

There are also the various boutique-y oils. Redline comes to mind, and some of the smaller euro imports (as mentioned by someone else).

I think that the answer is probably that those two oils are both quite good and comparable. Neither are seen often in the USA where most of the board participants live, so there is not a lot of data on them here.

Pick one, do an oil analysis and see if you are happy with the results.

John

quote:

Oil specs:

Motual X-cess 8100 5W40:
ACEA A3/B3/B4
API SL/CF
VW 502 00/505 00 - BMW ?Long Life? - PORSCHE
Mercedes Benz 229.3 - OPEL/GM Diesel LL B-025

Lubro Moly VOLLSYNTHESE 5W40:
API SH / EC / CF
API SJ / CF;
ACEA A3-98/B3-98; BMW Longlife-98, MB 229.1, Porsche, VW 502.00, 505.00

Based stricly on the specifications Motul is a little better and capable for longer change indervals .
I copy from Motul's site:
The OPEL/GM Diesel LL B-025 standard requires two main properties to the lubricant : high HTHS and very low volatility to drastically decrease oil consumption. Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is especially recommended for OPEL 2.0 and 2.2 DTI engines (extended drain interval : computer on board).
The ACEA B4 performance requires an outstanding detergent/dispersent power and a better viscosity increase resistance due to soot produced by Direct Injection Diesel engines (excep VW unit injector engines that require MOTUL Specific 505.01 5W-40)
The MB 229.3 standard is more stringent than 229.1 in terms of ageing resistance (extended drain interval : computer on board ), detergent/dispersent power (ACEA B4) and requests fuel economy performance : 1.2% fuel economy improvement versus a 15W-40 reference.

Redline,M1 SUV,Delvac-1,Motul, Pentosin all make a 5W40 and they are all premium products. Delo,Shell Rotella-T Synthetic and Pensoil all make a GIII blend that are also probably good oils but have not been tested a lot in HP engines that I am aware of.

UOA is going to be a helpful tool in chooseing an oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back