Please give your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 06 Yamaha V Star 1100 (air cooled). I've been using Rotella T 15-40 and it seems to work great. BUT I am thinking about switching to Rotella Synthetic 5 40. does the 5 40 shear faster than the 15-40? Would you change? Thanks for your advice!

If you lived closer I go some Delo that I would give you for free.

BTW, the Walmarts in my area have Rotella Syn on red tag closeout.

Originally Posted By: ez_livin
I have an 06 Yamaha V Star 1100 (air cooled). I've been using Rotella T 15-40 and it seems to work great. BUT I am thinking about switching to Rotella Synthetic 5 40. does the 5 40 shear faster than the 15-40? Would you change? Thanks for your advice!

Getting to your specific questions:

a) I don't know for certain, but I'm willing to guess the 5W-40 might shear a bit less rapidly than the 15W-40. I say that simply because as a synthetic it offers the potential for longer change intervals ... shear being one factor in making that possible. Exactly what the differential shear rate is ... I do not know.

b) Personally, I would *not* change. But that depends a great deal on the change interval you're shooting for. If you're like me and have relatively short change intervals -- I'm at about 3K miles -- the 5W-40 probably doesn't buy you much.

Oh, heck ... disclaimer ... I use the 15W-40 in my Goldwing and it just seems to work just fine. I love the stuff. It works, it's priced right.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
The syn should shear less...

Well, 5w-40 will have a good dose of VIIs...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
The syn should shear less...

Well, 5w-40 will have a good dose of VIIs...

But whether it does or does not, it is a syn oil so it has that going.
I would rather use a syn 10/15w-40 than the 5w-40. Because a cycle oil will get a work out.

You'll be fine with the dino 15w-40, in about any major brand.

BTW, the newer CJ-4 forumations basically would meet the JASO specs, so while not "motorcycle specific", they are worthy of consideration. Are they an exact match? No.

But there are thousands of motor cycles out there, including mine, running HDEO with no issues whatsoever. And many have good UOA performance to back it up.

Thanks everyone for all your comments! I usually change my oil every 2500 - 3000 miles, so I guess I'll save my $5 and keep using the 15-40.

By the way, someone asked what the manual recommended, it says to use 10 30 or 20 40 Yamalube.

Originally Posted By: ez_livin

This is very good reading.....

CLICK HERE - CALSCI Website

Also, this is off the Shell website.....

Here's the scoop on ROTELLA T use in motorcycles.....

Shell ROTELLA T SAE 15W-40 and ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 are universal oils, meeting needs of many 4-stroke gasoline as well as most diesel engines. They have performance credentials (API Service Categories SL and CI-4 & CI-4 PLUS) for lubricating both kinds of engines. Consequently, ROTELLA T can be a good choice for four-stroke motorcycle/ATV engines.

It's best to consult your owner's manual for recommended oil quality. If your engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting any of these API Service Categories; CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 & CI-4 PLUS, and/or SH, SJ, and SL, or any earlier but obsolete category, then ROTELLA T may be a good choice.

ROTELLA T does not contain friction modifiers that are added to many passenger-car-only-oils, and it does not comply with all requirements of ILSAC GF-1, GF-2 and GF-3 (the ILSAC oil specifications are often recommended by many gasoline passenger car engine manufacturers). That can be good for motorcycle/ATV use. Friction modifiers can upset wet clutch operation. And the ILSAC requirements limit phosphorus content. Diesel engines and other engines with highly loaded valve trains, as well as transmissions, need extra (compared to passenger car engines) extreme pressure wear protection, which is provided by an additive that contains phosphorus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coffee
Wow, I got 8 gallons of Castrol Tection last night and it was $5 a gallon at WalMart! That should last me a good while. :)

That will do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back