Coolant Flush and Change

I drove the car for a little bit and was able to get the fluid to drop to the minimum line on the tank.

not sure how accurate these cheap ratio testers are, but the attached photos show what ratio is measuring at.

IMG_9637.jpeg

IMG_9638.jpeg

to summarize
1. I drained and flushed what I could.
2. I got about 3 gallons of fluid between the initial drain and flush with distilled water
3. Coolant system has 11.1 quart capacity. Plan was to add 5.5 quarts of pure coolant and to top off with distilled water. Tank only took 4 quarts. I was able to drive the car and lower the fluid to the minimum line.
4. Photos above show coolant measurement ratio.
5. I’m guessing I didn’t get all the old coolant out and that’s why the coolant % is high?
6. I figure top off with distilled water and continue to monitor / measure over the next week?

The floating balls and pointers are fairly accurate. To be absolutely sure, get three and find the two that agree.

-45F is pretty strong.

Does the pure concentrate i added need more time to mix with what’s already in the system or safe to assume this accurate measurement?

According to this chart (see link), -45 degrees should be about 54/46 coolant ratio. It doesn’t seem that bad. Again I still need to fill the tank. It is currently at the minimum line. Probably another 1-1.5 quarts to top off. Should I just slowly fill with distilled water and check until it’s at -34 degrees which would equal 50/50?

https://www.waynesgarage.com/application/files/7814/4070/9576/antifreeze_chart.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9639.jpg
    IMG_9639.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 10
If you need any top off just use water for the time being. I usually set mine for 50/50 final or -34F. Never seen that cold before. -26F is the coldest I've seen here south of Chicago.

If you need any top off just use water for the time being. I usually set mine for 50/50 final or -34F. Never seen that cold before. -26F is the coldest I've seen here south of Chicago.
Got it. I also plan on watching the coolant level in the tank over the next week as I drive and topping off as needed to ensure it stays near the max line

Back