Please explain this mystery oil(Amsoil HDD) to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant figure out how,... on what I know about motor oil, how this Amsoil series 3000 5w30 can perform supposedly so well in a turbo diesel engine which stresses oil so much more than a gasoline given the fact that not only do you have very very high loads on main bearings from power/torque, but you have on "paper at least" less protection as far as HT/HS,and viscosity, compared to a 15w40 oil "synthetic or not" which in my mind mean less protection on highly loaded crankshaft journals? Is this oil completely loaded with ZDDP unlike the newest CJ-4 spec oils? Even if so...you still have the heat from the turbo-charger to break this 5w30 oil down even more! What makes this oil such a "phantom oil" over a 15w40? Amsoil even recommends this oil over their 15w40 AME in most applications prior to 2007 turbo diesel trucks. I see that CST is on the higher end of a 30wt oil...but still it is what it is! NOT a 15w40! Chime in all! especially user's of this oil with UOA's! -Ponch

Good oil, but you are right it is not a 15W40. It's one of those things where it has to be run in an engine which calls for XW40, and the results compared by UOA.
I've wanted to run it in my Dodge Cummins often, but I find it cost prohibitive. I can get AME cheaper, and there is no worry or guess work with it.
HDD is great oil, though. Those who use it and have great results find it works extraordinarily well.
IIRC, it's ZDDP is still about the same as AME. I have an Amsoil TSB somewhere which states this. Along with ARO, AMO, AME, and PCO, ACD.

If a oil manufacture has a long and high reputation for quality and is used widely with good results, I tend to believe what the manufacture say about their products. There are other examples out there. Especially when speaking of synthetic vs mineral.

Art

Mmmm HDD. A thin, tough oil. Can't really compare an API 5w40 to an API 5w30 or 0w30 (Motorcraft or PetroCanada) in terms of cold flow, warm flow, any flow.

Hi,
Ponch - HDEOs with a HTHS vis below 3.7cP have a limited operation in most heavy high speed diesel engines of North American origin

Where they are "permitted" by the engine Manufacturer there is typically quite a stringent ambient range that they can operate within

CAT for instance state:
Note: 0W and 5W oils are generally not recommended for eningines that are continuously operated and/or are heavily loaded. And; Where a 0W oil is preferred for cold starts a "0W-40 oil;s are preferred over a 0W-30 lubricant"

IMO one should be careful and use Manufacturer Approved viscosities where heavy high speed diesel engines are used Commercially

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Originally Posted By: Steve S
with Delvac 1 and Shell Rotella T6 why spend more?

Exactly.

Longer drain intervals in most engines that are not dumping fuel in the oil??

S3K 5W-30 HDD is a fairly great oil. Allow me to restate that, it's an excellent 5W-30 fleet use oil. I recommend it to people who want a very stout 5W-30.

It's a fully loaded API CI-4+ oil.

Amsoil does not recommend it for all 15W-40 applications, but it does have a high 30 vis at 11.7 cSt and very shear resistant at that. HT/HS is 3.5.

I had never put this oil in my Volvo until last month. I'll get a UOA next year, but this oils seems like a perfect match for this engine.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Originally Posted By: Steve S
with Delvac 1 and Shell Rotella T6 why spend more?

Exactly.

Longer drain intervals in most engines that are not dumping fuel in the oil??

Yeah but Cummins states no matter what oil you use change it at the recommended intervals , they go on with reasons why .

I honestly think HDD is an excellent oil for long drains in gas engines. It rivals SSO in that function, and 'may' (gasp!) be better in some instances.

After breaking my 2000 powerstroke excursion in on non-synthetic for the first 5k miles, I switched to 15w40 AME. I still experienced the romping occasionally on startup and at the end of the oil change I pulled a sample and had it analyzed. After about 18k miles it had sheared down from about 14.4cst to around 12cst. I switched to HDD 5w30 and the romps went away and at the end of 25k miles the oil went from 11.7 cst to 11.9cst.

It would appear that in the powerstroke, a thick 30w is about ideal because your 40w is going to end up there anyway.

I can't speak for other diesels. With any oil, if you don't test it, you never know what it is doing in your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back