Amsoil signature 0w40 and japanese car in europe

Hi , I have posted a similar post but not sure really got to the bottom of things..The HTHS in Amsoil Sig 5w30 is only 3.1,( i have been using this oil )
but I wanted more engine wear protection so I have now put Amsoil Sig 0w40 with HTHS 3.7 into the car ....its a 2010 petrol 1.4 i-vtec Honda civic in the UK its not a Direct injection engine has no turbo but of course has a CAT ..I just wanted to be assured that I'm not damaging the CAT with this oil , I would assume it has a higher ZDDP than the 5w30 Amsoil Sig oil ( its difficult to find this info ) ,, I know many will say use the Amsoil European formula ,, but the car has done less than 70,000 mls and burns virtually no oil , so I'm hoping that even if the ZDDP is higher in the 0w40 I will not harm the CAT

In your previous thread what bottom wasn’t reached?

As Titan mentioned in your previous thread...
"If your engine isn't an excessive oil-burner, the higher SAPS isn't adversely affecting your catalytic converter. Still, I'd go to the Euro version the next time. BTW, you haven't had insufficient wear protection with a 3.1 vs 3.5 HTHS.."

I just wanted to be assured that I'm not damaging the CAT with this oil
I have yet to see a fouled catalytic converter by full SAPS Euro oil. The full SAPS portion actually comes from the beefy detergent & dispersant package. So full SAPS oils have a little bit more ZDDP to compensate for that. However, it's nowhere near enough to be of any consequence to a catalytic converter. They also use more organo-metallic additives. However, no they will not foul a catalytic converter. If it was a Diesel with a DPF system, or a gas engine with GPF, then sure, I'd say use a mid-SAPS oil. But you're good. You can stop worrying.

Also, install an oil catch can. It will keep your oil cleaner for longer, not to mention the intake. It's a Honda after all, so a catch can is a natural fit for it.

I have yet to see a fouled catalytic converter by full SAPS Euro oil. The full SAPS portion actually comes from the beefy detergent & dispersant package. So full SAPS oils have a little bit more ZDDP to compensate for that. However, it's nowhere near enough to be of any consequence to a catalytic converter. They also use more organo-metallic additives. However, no they will not foul a catalytic converter. If it was a Diesel with a DPF system, or a gas engine with GPF, then sure, I'd say use a mid-SAPS oil. But you're good. You can stop worrying.

Also, install an oil catch can. It will keep your oil cleaner for longer, not to mention the intake. It's a Honda after all, so a catch can is a natural fit for it.
I saw exactly one but the consumption was over 1 quart in 500 miles. If you’re not close to that then it’s nothing to worry about.

I saw exactly one but the consumption was over 1 quart in 500 miles. If you’re not close to that then it’s nothing to worry about.
The pistons and cylinders must have looked very interesting. Probably cocked and scratched.

The pistons and cylinders must have looked very interesting. Probably cocked and scratched.
I’ve posted this before but here it is (was). The piston bores actually looked pretty good.

pistons.jpg
piston.jpg

What was the cause of the high oil consumption? What oil was used in it?
Other than general wear I’m not sure. The leak down test was not good, obviously. There was high crankcase pressure and was actually squirting oil past the oil pan gasket.

As far as I could tell oil changes were performed properly and on time. But this was a friend’s car (subsequently given to his daughter) with over 300,000 miles so I don’t have personal knowledge. I only offered to install a junkyard engine but that one turned out to be junk as well. I ended up overhauling the junkyard engine and the original head instead. The vehicle is still on the road doing well as far as I know.

Thanks for that , i am now suitably reassured

As Titan mentioned in your previous thread...
"If your engine isn't an excessive oil-burner, the higher SAPS isn't adversely affecting your catalytic converter. Still, I'd go to the Euro version the next time. BTW, you haven't had insufficient wear protection with a 3.1 vs 3.5 HTHS.."
Thanks for the info , I just got spooked by the European ACEA standard requiring 3.6 hths , i now realise 3.1 is fine

Thanks for the info , I just got spooked by the European ACEA standard requiring 3.6 hths , i now realise 3.1 is fine
HTHS is important, but not the only factor to consider. Thinner oils have their advantages. AMSOIL works with Lubrizol to formulate their oils, and they had this relationship for a very long time. They know what they're doing. Did you know that Peter A. Asseff, one of the founders of Lubrizol (back then it was called Lubri-Zol) filed the first patent for ZDDP as a lubricant additive? Don't overthink it, you're using very good oil.

Hadn't heard of a catch can before , but done some research and i think this maybe a good idea . I may well look into installing one ..thanks

Nothing to worry about. I don't recall the exact figures, but based on the last VOA I looked at, SS 0W-40 has <1,500 ppm calcium, <800 ppm magnesium and phosphorus and <900 ppm zinc.

Hi , I have posted a similar post but not sure really got to the bottom of things..The HTHS in Amsoil Sig 5w30 is only 3.1,( i have been using this oil )
but I wanted more engine wear protection so I have now put Amsoil Sig 0w40 with HTHS 3.7 into the car ....its a 2010 petrol 1.4 i-vtec Honda civic in the UK its not a Direct injection engine has no turbo but of course has a CAT ..I just wanted to be assured that I'm not damaging the CAT with this oil , I would assume it has a higher ZDDP than the 5w30 Amsoil Sig oil ( its difficult to find this info ) ,, I know many will say use the Amsoil European formula ,, but the car has done less than 70,000 mls and burns virtually no oil , so I'm hoping that even if the ZDDP is higher in the 0w40 I will not harm the CAT
You can do a search on Amsoil Euro oils. I'm using the Amsoil 0w30 Euro in our Kia Soul. The Euro version might be available in 5w30 and provide you with higher HTHS, without a bump-up to a 0w40.

The Amsoil 0W30 has a virgin viscosity of around 10.3
The Amsoil Euro 0w30 has a virgin viscosity range around 12.3.... noticeably higher HTHS also.

Back