Please consider organ/blood donations!

Today was my 135th platelet donation.

Went flawlessly like always. Gatorade and some water, now relaxing at home

Attachments

• CD07F9A4-15C2-43F7-AFC1-A7B6C26D9B3D.jpeg
    CD07F9A4-15C2-43F7-AFC1-A7B6C26D9B3D.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 12
C'mon NYBC elligibles! We know it doesn't hurt, it feels good.

Platelet donors - your help is needed. NOW!
Our platelet supply is at critically low levels and we are having difficulty meeting patient demand. Can you please help? As a thank you, when you make a platelet donation between Friday, September 17 - Thursday, September 30, 2021 you will receive a $30 eGift card with a choice of over 70 retailers AND your donation will automatically enter you into a drawing to win one of THREE AIRBNB GIFT VOUCHERS!
Click here
or call 800.933.2566 to register for your gift card and make your appointment to donate by 9/30/21.
Make your platelet donation by September 30 for a chance to win one of three gift vouchers for a stay at an Airbnb:
  • First Prize: $1,500 gift voucher
  • Second Prize: $1,000 gift voucher
  • Third Prize: $750 gift voucher
The more times you donate, the more times you're entered to win!
Airbnb winner will be selected in a random drawing by 4:00PM, Friday, October 9, 2021. Donor must have a valid email address on file. Vouchers are non-transferable. eGift card for platelet donations 9/17 - 9/30 will be emailed no later than 2-3 weeks after end of promotion.
To learn more about the sweepstakes, visit www.nybc.org/sweepstakes.

Thank you for your continued support, we look forward to seeing you!

C'mon NYBC elligibles! We know it doesn't hurt, it feels good.

Platelet donors - your help is needed. NOW!
Our platelet supply is at critically low levels and we are having difficulty meeting patient demand. Can you please help? As a thank you, when you make a platelet donation between Friday, September 17 - Thursday, September 30, 2021 you will receive a $30 eGift card with a choice of over 70 retailers AND your donation will automatically enter you into a drawing to win one of THREE AIRBNB GIFT VOUCHERS!
Click here
or call 800.933.2566 to register for your gift card and make your appointment to donate by 9/30/21.
Make your platelet donation by September 30 for a chance to win one of three gift vouchers for a stay at an Airbnb:
  • First Prize: $1,500 gift voucher
  • Second Prize: $1,000 gift voucher
  • Third Prize: $750 gift voucher
The more times you donate, the more times you're entered to win!
Airbnb winner will be selected in a random drawing by 4:00PM, Friday, October 9, 2021. Donor must have a valid email address on file. Vouchers are non-transferable. eGift card for platelet donations 9/17 - 9/30 will be emailed no later than 2-3 weeks after end of promotion.
To learn more about the sweepstakes, visit www.nybc.org/sweepstakes.

Thank you for your continued support, we look forward to seeing you!
I get Amazon gift cards and Wal Mart gift cards.

Glad to hear the surgery went well. Thanks for the reminder, I’ll donate this week. I kind of forget about it and this is a great reminder.

On the radio today there was a story about a big nationwide shortage of blood for Sickle Cell patients. Most all Sickle Cell patients are black, and apparently the transfusions they need work best when they are from someone of the same race. I was unaware of that factoid.

Vaccinated people can donate blood. I don't know where they get that claim, see above. Red cross accepts blood from covid vaccinated people.
Canadian Blood Services definitely accepts blood donations from people who are vaccinated; I donated twice after my first shot, and have donated once more since my 2nd.

Last edited:
A good friend's relative came down with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (or TTP) a few years ago. It's a rare blood disorder that is caused by an excessive amount of an enzyme in the blood that initiates coagulation. She started looking like she was bruised all over her body. The main treatment is flushing the blood stream out with massive amounts of plasma. She ended up needing hundreds of units over a few week stay in the hospital. Apparently they had to fly plasma in from out of state as she was single-handedly overwhelming our local system.

A good friend's relative came down with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (or TTP) a few years ago. It's a rare blood disorder that is caused by an excessive amount of an enzyme in the blood that initiates coagulation. She started looking like she was bruised all over her body. The main treatment is flushing the blood stream out with massive amounts of plasma. She ended up needing hundreds of units over a few week stay in the hospital. Apparently they had to fly plasma in from out of state as she was single-handedly overwhelming our local system.

Similar to hemochromatosis The treatment for that used to be to donate blood monthly running the edge of the minimum iron levels for survival

I make too many red blood cells and my iron levels run the top of normal
I could likely donate much more often than I do, unfortunate I’m not allowed

Donate my “useless” AB blood every 2 months
I have donated my universally useful O negative blood more than a few times. In Vietnam I worked in an EVAC Hospital Blood Bank and laboratory and was the only O Neg GI in earshot. When a patient needed fresh O Neg for better clotting factors? Who do you think got tapped? Sometimes twice in the same week!

I have donated my universally useful O negative blood more than a few times. In Vietnam I worked in an EVAC Hospital Blood Bank and laboratory and was the only O Neg GI in earshot. When a patient needed fresh O Neg for better clotting factors? Who do you think got tapped? Sometimes twice in the same week!
I’m told AB blood is the most useful “blood” for science and processing due to it not having any blood type specific antibodies or markers.

Makes my platelets and plasma very useful, even though my red cells are “useless” to 97% of the population , after I donated my blood 7 days later they are begging me to spend 2+ hours each week donating platelets, no thanks, even though $1200 is nice I already have limited free time without another weekly multi hour block scheduled.

I’ve never had them as aggressive as they are today, I remind my broke best friend it’s $1200 for the first month of plasma donation but he seems to be terrified of donating.

My mom would love to donate but she had skin cancer, breast cancer and is on tomoxophin, hard no on any donation

I guess my once every two month donation will have to do.

Last edited:
Wow....

My brother is O as well. I am a typical A+

Back