Pistol slide wear

Recently got my first and new pistol but since i still have not got the chance to shoot it at the range, ive disassembled the pistol, cleaned and oiled it as recommended.
However during this time i-ve racked the pistol a couple dozen times with an empty mag inside just to get the hang of it since this is my first handgun (I-ve made sure its not loaded, in fact i dont even have ammo yet so no safety issue there).
Ive noticed that the pistol slide feeding ramp has lost some of the factory black coat due to the slide scraping with the empty magazine, will that cause an issue in the future?

Image is NOT my pistol slide, just a reference of what i mean with pistol slide ramp.
1621148569567.png

Credits for picture goes to the following link: https://www.glock.pro/threads/g30s-ftf-issues.8258/

If it is a Glock, then common wisdom is that you leave the copper grease on there for the first couple shooting sessions, then clean and oil.

In the real world, properly taken care of, you'll wear out before that gun will. I wouldn't worry about some of the black wearing off the slide.

Not an issue. I've been shooting guns for decades. These are just wear points. Use a good quality lubricant, but don't use too much. Just a thin amount of oil or grease. This stirs up arguments which I'm not interested in.

Any quality new motor oil, which is trusted in $50,000 engines running at extremely hot/cold temps for 5000 RPMs hours, will do very well in a fire arm. No need for high priced snake oil lubes. A quart of XYZ full synthetic will last you a lifetime. Save your old tooth brush, and clean it with the oil, and leave a light film on the internal metal parts. That's all you need to do.

As above, handguns will last 30,000 to 50,000 to 100,000 + rounds without failure or breakage. There are still Gen 1 Glocks made 4+ decades ago running strong. Odds are, the gun will outlive you... Glocks, and others, are very high quality.

Oh, and another point, the anti-wear anti-corrosion finish on the Glocks, especially the Gens 1-3, is extremely durable. I think it was called Tennifer, and had a hardness of something like 60 on the Rockwell hardness scale. They switched formulas to something lesser on the Gen4 and above, but it's still outstanding. Point being, extremely high quality steel and finish used on the steel.

Last edited:
Also, @Noobie congratulations on joining the 2nd Amendment club, and taking this important life step. And Glocks would be on my short list of recommendations. They are absolutely superb. You're doing the right thing in getting education. Just keep learning, being safe, and studying how to be safe, smart, and take care of yourself and weapon.

Ive noticed that the pistol slide feeding ramp has lost some of the factory black coat due to the slide scraping with the empty magazine, will that cause an issue in the future?
No, it shouldn't cause any issues. Any time two parts rub on each other there will be some sign of slight wear. Not sure if the same contact is going on when the gun is actually being fired and feeding, maybe mostly on the last round when the magazine is empty.

You should also be able to rack the slide with the magazine removed.

Now that i think of it, i believe that the peeled paint comes from the slide scraping with the cocking lever.

I was kidding about hoarding ammo, regarding the slide wear, after watching multiple videos and pictures, ive realized that its normal for APX Carry to show wear in that area.
Initially i was worried because most pictures you find in Google are Glocks and Glocks dont wear on the slide feeding ramp.

Yup, Beretta makes a quality firearm and is one of the oldest in the world. They know what they're doing. As you found out, wear in these areas is normal. It's a machine and is "breaking in" so to speak. Lube is important so give it a good cleaning regularly and keep a thin film of quality oil on wear parts, rail, internals, etc. Congrats.

Recently got my first and new pistol but since i still have not got the chance to shoot it at the range, ive disassembled the pistol, cleaned and oiled it as recommended.
However during this time i-ve racked the pistol a couple dozen times with an empty mag inside just to get the hang of it since this is my first handgun (I-ve made sure its not loaded, in fact i dont even have ammo yet so no safety issue there).

Image is NOT my pistol slide, just a reference of what i mean with pistol slide ramp.
View attachment 57350
Credits for picture goes to the following link: https://www.glock.pro/threads/g30s-ftf-issues.8258/
Buy some snap caps and practice all operations of the pistol with those till it's second nature. Concentrate on pulling the trigger without moving the sights of target, single and double action. No need to thank me.

Issues like this highlight the mechanical superiority of revolvers. I have several models of semi-auto and revolvers and enjoy them all but I prefer the KISS principle to designs.

Revolvers are anything but simple. The clockwork mechanism must work perfectly to keep the revolver timed, a grain of debris or loose screw can lock up the cylinder to the point where it won't rotate*, and the crane is delicate and prone to bending if abused. I've seen more revolvers quit working unexpectedly than I have semi-autos. Plus, when a wheel gun goes down you're probably going to need tools to get it running again.

BSW

*Seen multiple examples of this personally.

Per the linked article: "One advantage of the revolver in home defense is that it is easier to operate and learn to shoot."

This is something I believe in when someone who's not familiar with firearms wants a gun in the house for protection.

Back