Pictures of what's in New Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:

quote:

Originally posted by rgl:
Everyone that is reconsidering prefilling, please remember that a very large percentage of cars have the oil filler cap right on the top of the engine and in that case you will be putting 3-5 quarts into the engine unfitered regardless.

That's true but it goes through the filter before it get pumped through the engine.

Good call.

Wow ...low blow!! Raiding his private (internet accessible) quarter stash
nono.gif

That's priveleged humor and protected under internet etiquette rule # 409-AB3!!! (then again the "targets of opportunity" clause may trump that
confused.gif
)

(btw-good work Stinky ..shhh)
smile.gif

Makes me wonder if one of my engines didn't suffer from some of what we see here. Come to think about it, it was one of the few times I shook the bottles, since they were qt size bottles instead of the 5qt jugs I usually buy.
dunno.gif

Stinky, thanks for following up. I think knowing the age and source of the samples will make this a better test.

We look forward to more results.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Oh yeah baby. What sizes are we talking here ?

I think the smallest ones are around 10 microns give or take a little. The bigger ones are 50-80 or so. You can pert-near see them without the microscope but you can't tell they are little balls.

Have you seen these before Terry?

There are several explanations ranging from welding/melting to fatigue cracking of rolling element bearings to severe contamination. They are usually associated with contamination and I think they roll up much like a ball of clay. I think my Evol.jpg is pretty close too. All I know is they are fascinating and every time I see them I just about pe......err...well that's probably more information than you need. They do mean trouble.

Stinky

quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:
one petroleum company received uncapped bottles and thats the way they were stored until they we filled. It's no wonder we see some much contamination!
Stinky

All bottling/filling facilities are probably like that.

so, it's NOT a good idea to shake the bottle before pouring?
I always did that thinking some of the additives settled to the bottom.

Great thread. Thanks Stinky. I wonder if this virgin contamination being filtered out explains the better UOAs on super-long intervals that show lower wear than expected?
dunno.gif

And I was thinking I might be bored with BiTOG, then the stinker comes along.........Hang in there, STINK!

As for filled plastic bottles - SOME companies in some inductries actually purge them with a blast of air whilst inverted (or some other method)...

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

As for filled plastic bottles - SOME companies in some inductries actually purge them with a blast of air whilst inverted (or some other method)...

That works to a limited degree. Plastic tends to have electrostatic properties so air rinsers only blow out big chucks and cause the plastic to become more charged. Even glass doesn't blow out very well.

In the beverage industry you can use water to rinse out the empty container prior to filling, but I can tell you a cigarette butt or bug even goes through.

I would pre-filter oil for my better cars if I knew an easy way to do it effectively. What about an old oil cooler/ filter base rigged to some funnels with a PureOne attached? Is it worthwhile for just one pass? Are we sure pre-filtering does not remove additives?
dunno.gif

Ok here is a few new reports from oils that several members sent. Please don't try to judge oil quality of the oil by the pictures. It's only recently that we have become aware of this material but it has probably been there all along. Some of these particles are dirt and some are unknowns. Others are likely additives that are not in solution.

Stinky

Mobil 1 0W20 - East Coast

Mobil 1 0W40 - East Coast

Mobil 1 5W40 SUV - East Coast

Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 - North Central

Synergyn 15W50 - Midwest

Mystik 5W30 - Midwest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back