Pictures of Dodge Pentastar 3.6L head

Are you running mid grade gasoline ?
I ran mid grade until the price of gas got to high. Fuel mileage is not that much different but there again I only have 31k so I don't drive much. If I know that I will haul anything I will fill up with higher octane. Mine will ping getting on it with a fully loaded vehicle with regular. Here is the article I was referring to.

Reactions: 4WD
Dodge claimed running 87 octane was the problem. They dialed back timing for 87 but while you don't seem to hear it the motor is pinging causing head problems.
Yes, and people even on this forum say that running Premium is a waste.
I think not on my 3.6🤔

Yes. Under warranty, it is also one only.
I could see under warranty. But usually when a strut is bad it's worn enough that a new one is going to perform significantly worse then the old one on the other side, hence why they always get replaced in pairs (when not under warranty).

I could see under warranty. But usually when a strut is bad it's worn enough that a new one is going to perform significantly worse then the old one on the other side, hence why they always get replaced in pairs (when not under warranty).
This is getting a bit far OT for this thread, but I will say that if a strut isn't leaking and doesn't have an absurd # of miles (e.g. >200K), any dampening loss is generally minimal - so replacing 1 is not as bad as it sounds.

This is getting a bit far OT for this thread, but I will say that if a strut isn't leaking and doesn't have an absurd # of miles (e.g. >200K), any dampening loss is generally minimal - so replacing 1 is not as bad as it sounds.
While not struts, I replaced the front shocks on my 05 Silverado at around 200k miles as they were completely shot on the front and still had some dampening in the rear. My experience with struts has been similar on some vehicles though.
If they're not that bad why replace one anyway? To me it's very similar to replacing one brake pad.

They’ve made well over 10,000,000 of these engines, heck they hit 10,000,000 in February 2019, they’re perfectly fine. There was the really early ones that developed a cylinder head issue that was fixed by 2013 that was rare and covered by a 10 year/150k warranty.
I know three people that must have been RARE, They all had head issues with that engine....Thats enough for me not to get one.

There’s 4 within my family that all haven’t had a single issue including the one within that 2011-2013 time frame, not even the dreaded oil filter housing leak 🤷🏻‍♂️
Thats good for you...so you would buy one... The three for me say stay away from that engine...As a big MOPAR fan in the 60s and the 70s. I would not purchase one now even though they are not really MOPAR anymore.... That died when Chrysler Corp dies many years ago...

I got this yesterday 59k miles. Cylinder 6

Attachments

• 6F5133CC-24EF-4D29-9D8E-32CB530BAF5E.jpeg
    6F5133CC-24EF-4D29-9D8E-32CB530BAF5E.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 83
Thats good for you...so you would buy one... The three for me say stay away from that engine...As a big MOPAR fan in the 60s and the 70s. I would not purchase one now even though they are not really MOPAR anymore.... That died when Chrysler Corp dies many years ago...
You can also just listen to the occasional one driving by ticking like a time bomb, including a site super at one of the jobsites I regular, has a 2018ish looking caravan that has a heavy tick from the top end. If you drive around with your windows down often enough you will hear a few ticking pentastars. The ones that don't fail can and have lasted a long time, but there does seem to be a high failure rate, which just always seems to be the case with Chrysler products in my experience. Same with Hemi lifter failures, dropped valves on multiple engine types etc.

Reactions: hrv
3.6 is a good motor, No issues here, or with people I know that belong to a local Mopar Club.
On the Challenger Forum, there is seldom an issue with 3.6 owners.
It’s usually , 5.7 & 6.4 models.
Although I owned a 6.4, outstanding motor and 27mpg on the Highway with cylinder deactivation.

You can also just listen to the occasional one driving by ticking like a time bomb, including a site super at one of the jobsites I regular, has a 2018ish looking caravan that has a heavy tick from the top end. If you drive around with your windows down often enough you will hear a few ticking pentastars. The ones that don't fail can and have lasted a long time, but there does seem to be a high failure rate, which just always seems to be the case with Chrysler products in my experience. Same with Hemi lifter failures, dropped valves on multiple engine types etc.
High failure rate 🤔
You have data to back that up?

Here is mine

The Pentastar engine has been recognized seven times as one of the “10-Best Engines” by the prestigious specialized media WardsAuto. This achievement is a testament to the high-quality work done by the team at the Saltillo South Engine Plant, where the Pentastar engine is manufactured.

ONE OF THE 10 BEST ENGINES EVER

High failure rate 🤔
You have data to back that up?

Here is mine

The Pentastar engine has been recognized seven times as one of the “10-Best Engines” by the prestigious specialized media WardsAuto. This achievement is a testament to the high-quality work done by the team at the Saltillo South Engine Plant, where the Pentastar engine is manufactured.

https://moparinsiders.com/saltillo-...best-engines-list/']“10-Best Engines”[/QUOTE]
by the prestigious specialized media WardsAuto. This achievement is a testament to the high-quality work done by the team at the Saltillo South Engine Plant, where the Pentastar engine is manufactured.

Typically when there are class action lawsuits, lots of discussion and lots of cars driving around ticking and or missing, then the failure rate is higher than usual. I don't know if the number is available somewhere but even if it's like 5% that would be a lot of cars.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230520-085252.jpg
    Screenshot_20230520-085252.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230520-085243.jpg
    Screenshot_20230520-085243.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 10
Back